“Yummy food - amazing decor!”
Review of Blackburn House - CLOSED

Blackburn House
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Mansfield, United Kingdom
“Yummy food - amazing decor!”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Called in on spec. yesterday (23/06/13) after competing in local Race for Life. What a wonderful place!! If it wasn't for the roadside signs we would never have known it was there and on arrival initially thought we were in the wrong place. Then we felt that it might be a bit 'posh' for us as we were dressed in bright pink t-shirts emlazoned with Race for Life logo and trainers (trousers too of course!!!) In spite of our attire and the fact that we called in on spec. we were made to feel very welcome and given a table promptly.(Fernando is a gem!) My friend and I both had the Carvery which was brilliant, perfectly cooked and loads of choice. We then shared the pud as there was no way we could have managed one each. We had Eton Mess which was amazing and beautifully presented on a slate platter. The decor was simply stunning and very unusual, it would make a fantastic wedding venue! The service from the young waiting staff was efficient and friendly but not over familiar - exactly as it should be.
This place is a real find - tucked away in the woods and it is one place I will definitley be back to. In fact I drove my husband mad when I got home 'cos I wouldn't shut up about it!!!!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank AJ_2012_B

“Wonderful food with a personal touch.”
Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

This was our first visit but certainly not our last. We had Sunday carvery and considering there was 9 of us (baby in car seat included) we were greeted at door and sat promptly.
The service was great. The young lad that was our server was very attentive. All other servers that approached us was always with a smile.
The food was fresh prepared and homemade. As owners of a restaurant and my husband a chef, we can be a tad picky but was very happy with it all.
Desserts did not disappoint either. Although they didn't have the desserts we initially ordered, the sub was again fresh made and hot.
On leaving, again, our hands were shaken and a fond farewell was given.
All in all 5 out of 5 and cannot wait to visit again.
Thank you again for the personal touches, it means a lot these days.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank EcHo75
Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Good venue, great food, good value.”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

We live a few miles from the restaurant and had heard good things so went for Sunday lunch to check it out with a party of 5.The fun started when booking, Fernando was very funny and helpful on the 'phone and you just got the feeling it was going to be good.
Very warm welcome, friendly, smart staff (more than can be said for some of the other diners!). Excellent presentation of restaurant and food. Good choice of options with help yourself vegetables. Main carvery was very good but the Lamb Shank options my father-in-law had was cooked very quickly and was a little dry. The Eton Mess desert was wonderful!
Overall, excellent!. We've already booked our next visit :)

doncaster
“Worth Finding”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

A little off the beaten track when you find it you might be excused for thinking you got the wrong place. You couldn't be more wrong. As you arrive you will be cordially greeted by a guy called Fernando who's actually Italian and possibly related to Frankie Dettori but he is the nicest restaurant manager you could wish to meet. I'm not always a Carvery fan but having tested this one, I immediately sent my daughter a text and told her it was one of, if not THE best I had ever experienced and I'm in my sixties so I've tried a few believe me. It certainly is on my places to visit again list and I could easily be tempted to try a little a la carte next time because everything being served looked wonderful. Give yourself a treat if you are in the area - You definitely will not be dissapointed

Retford, United Kingdom
“fantastic.....”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

After visiting blackburn house a few times for what can only be disribed as the best sunday lunch around, we visited to try the evening menu.
we were spoilt for choice, i had the trio of pork it was presented like a piece of art and the flavour is out of this world, this was the same for the rest of our tables meals as for fernando he's great.
looking forward to our next visit