“Kudos for classic diner...”

Ferrells Snappy Service
Ranked #9 of 74 Restaurants in Madisonville
Cuisines: Diner
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Madisonville, Kentucky
Reviewed July 17, 2008

Kudos for classic diner style food. Short order traditional done right! Yay! One caveat: don't go there late at night, that's when the sleaze patrol rules!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed December 14, 2007

Ferrells Greasy Cheeseburgers!!! The BEST!!!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed October 1, 2006

I love to wander into Southern, small town diners. I've enjoyed eating in countless across the Southeast. I was hopeful of having another positive dining experience on a rainy Saturday afternoon in Madisonville.

The place was tiny, to my joy. A friendly old boy took the cheeseburger order - dressed with all the fixin's. Then I took a seat on one of the 15 diner stools in the restaurant.

That was when I was appauled. I was forced to watch some of the worst food handling habits I've ever seen. In a one-square-foot space of wooden cutting board, I watched a woman pat out raw ground beef, pull apart lettuce, slice tomato, and dress hamburger buns. There was no hand-washing. There was no separation of raw from complete. Those beef-covered hands reached into a filthy little frig right next to that cutting board to pull out both more beef and raw vegetables.

I've eaten on roadsides in Thailand. I've eaten from handcarts in Manhattan. I've never been as disgusted as I was in Madisonville. This cute little joint is across from the street from the county courthouse, but there is apparently no health department in Hopkins County. There was no health rating hanging in the restaurant.

There were several regulars in the shop. Some looked pretty tough - probaby mean from all the GI difficulties that keep them awake at night. I paid, took my burgers carryout, and tossed the whole thing in the trash. Even the fries were awful, fried in grease left from the 1929 opening day. Oh, the diet Pepsi seemed fine.

Stay away, at least until the Commonwealth of Kentucky Department of Health takes some responsibility for inspecting and training restaurant employees.

5  Thank Joseph58