“Back in the days-seeking the American Dream”
Review of Portal 31

Portal 31
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Lynch
Reviewed June 6, 2012

This mine owned by US steel, opened in 1917 and closed in 1963. Thousands of men from more than 30 countries came to Benham to work in the mine and lived in Benham with their families. Port 31 is about five minutes drive from the Kentucky Coal Mining Museum. This mine is now a tour mine. The tour inside the mine on a rail road cart takes about 40 minutes. On different stations in the mine you learn about the miners work, concerns and mining technology over time since the opening to the time the mine was closed. It is a good place to visit and learn about coal mining technology and how it progressed with time, life and daily toil of mine workers who migrated from all over the globe to work in the mines. The tour inside port 31 is informative and reflective, pay a visit to this place.

3  Thank Ability A

Reviewed May 26, 2012

I visited The Portal 31 Exhibition Mine with my EPG class. We are exploring the assets of some coal mining counties in the Appalachian Region and working to develop a tourist guide to the best 36 hours in the area. This trip in to the Portal 31 coal mine gives a great image of how coal mining was for the miners in the early years. It is very dark and cool and kind of spooky. I have a much greater understanding of coal mining. I am glad I went.

1  Thank HappyDayKentucky
Reviewed February 6, 2012

Enjoyed the tour. Lots of history and culture. Tells the story of how the towns were built by the mining companies and how the imigrants came to work there.

1  Thank Allthegoodnames
Reviewed July 25, 2011

The Portal 31 Mine Tour in Lynch, KY was an experience that I was really built up for. I had high expectations, as my grandfather was a coal miner in the middle 20th century, and I hoped to be able to relive a small piece of his life. I did not know my grandfather hardly at all, and I hoped that this would help me to know him. And it didn't really. I liked to learn about how they knew to keep the roof from falling; that was the only thing I connected with.
Some advice: Give it a human element, the dummies were a nice touch, but I tell you, if you can't even make a coal miner's granddaughter feel pride, then you will never reach the tourist coming in there. The experience could be more emotional for everyone.
The history of the mine was very nice, and the conversations in the stops were good, but maybe when you are helping the tourists into the car you could talk the mine up a little. The human element was missing.

1  Thank rachael666
Reviewed July 23, 2011

I have always wanted to visit real coal mine after having read the history of Appalachian regions. I was very impressed by this historical site.

All I know about coal mine is from readings, not from experience. Entering into coal mine by sitting in carts used to carry coals, I feel I went back to in 1950 and actually could hear coal miners shouting, their resonance of digging, working sounds and their breath. We stopped at several sites where 'coal miners' were talking about their lives, the history of coal mine and the relations between their lives and coal mines.

What stood out from visiting coal mine for me is that I really experience being inside coal mine and could feel how coal miners were struggling in this black world in order to have a better life for themselves and their family. I can see their value on this job as it provided them more chances of having a good life.

I strongly recommend this historical place and I have uploaded some photos so that you can have a look before you actually visit Portal 31.

3  Thank SaiAungSoeLin