“Perfect atmosphere and cuisine for a summer evening”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Varanese

Varanese
Reserve with OpenTable
Varanese is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #32 of 1,757 Restaurants in Louisville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Vernon
Transit: Varanese has a TARC stop in front along with a Frankfort Ave. Trolly Hop Stop.
Description: Varanese Restaurant is located in the historic Clifton neighborhood and features an eclectic menu of New American Cuisine using local organic products, prepared by Owner/Chef John Varanese. The restaurant opened in 2007 and has recently completed a renovation and can comfortably seat 150 guests between its bar, dining room and four seasons patio. Open 7 days a week - Sunday through Thursday from 5:00pm to 11:00pm, and Friday and Saturday 5:00pm to midnight.
Evansville, Indiana
“Perfect atmosphere and cuisine for a summer evening”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

My wife and I come to Louisville frequently and dine at a number of establishments around town. Our hotel recommended trying Varanese...so glad we did!

They had reserved us an table just near the edge of their outdoor patio. The landscaping and decor was most inviting. Our server Levi was extremely helpful. It was also wonderful we were seated right next to the jazz quartet that was playing. The atmosphere was perfect for a sumer evening.

We started with the pulled pork and sweet potato biscuit appetizer. It was very good. They have a nice wine selection and I had a very good glas of Malbec.

I ordered the beef tips and tortellini and the gorgonza cream sauce was amazing. My wife loved her dish as well.

We lingered for some lava cake and coffee for dessert and enjoyed the jazz ensemble. This was probably one of the most relaxed and enjoyable meals out we have had this summer...and we dine out often during our travels.

We make an effort to find the special local restaurants in any city we visit and appreciate the folks who write their reviews on Trip Advisor and we read and study their reviews.

The Frankfurt Ave area of town is a vibrant one with many new establishments. We will definitely return to Varanese!

• Visited July 2013
Randy B, Public Relations Manager at Varanese, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thanks so much for your review. We really appreciate our out of town guests sharing their experiences on Trip Advisor. We look forward to your next visit. The patio is always open and the jazz is playing every night!

“Delightful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

First time here .but not the last .... visiting from Atlanta and read Trip Advisor ..delightful atmosphere, delicious food...3 of us had various fish( whipped sweet potatoes are SINFUL) and my husband had a burger...delicious....birthday celebration , so our cute waitress suggested a Ky tradition of bread pudding...what else can I say...yummmmmmmm....see you all next month when we return

Visited June 2013
Randy B, Public Relations Manager at Varanese, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thanks so much for the review. We're so glad you had a good time and happy belated birthday! We'd love for you to come back every month. Be sure and say hello to John or our general manager Dave when you're back in town.
Rineyville, Kentucky
“So close to a 5”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

Me, my wife, and my oldest daughter had a nice meal on the edge of the patio area for Father's Day. We were able to get the outer table area we had asked for in our reservation with some prompting of the waitress and a few extra minutes for tables to be rearranged. We started with a crab and avocado appetizer that was good but unbelievable small; we cut it three ways but I could have easily eaten it in two medium bites. We all enjoyed our main dishes; I had beef tips, my daughter had an open-faced turkey sandwich, and my wife had the crab cakes with eggs benedict. The crab cakes were probably the favorite. The service was adequate. This was at 2 in the afternoon and it was not very busy so I guess some atmosphere was missing. Towards the end of the meal two different trains came by on the same track right next to the restaurant going to different directions. This took about 10 - 12 minutes and was a bit of a distraction and quite loud. In general this place is nice but it just seems to be lacking something every time we come. I don't think it is the food...I think maybe it's the music. The first time we came was in the evening during peak time and this time was in the middle of a Sunday; both times the musicians were low key, boring, and looked like they would much rather be somewhere else. One of the things that attracted me to this place was an effort to find my wife a place that had Jazz music, but this has been the most lacking part of both our trips. As someone that doesn't even live in town, I don't think I can keep coming to one place if an important part of it's experience is lacking. I hope that at least during peak times that Mr. Varanese will consider hiring musicians that can match the high level of his cuisine.

• Visited June 2013
I'm so sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your Sunday evenings with us. Our Jazz musicians are certainly a highlight of the experience at Varanese and we usually have such wonderful comments from our guests.

We appreciate your feedback. I am grateful to know that you enjoyed your meal. Perhaps you might give us another try on a different night some time in the future. Please feel free to contact our general manager Dave Allen at 502-899-9904 or at letsdine@varanese.com if you would like to provide any other details about your experience. While we cannot please everyone all of the time, we certainly want to make our dining experience stand out. Thanks again for your honest review.
KY
“Wonderful, Again!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

Ate there for a second time and had Ed as a waiter again. He was super helpful with suggestions, including samples of inexpensive good wines prior to ordering. Everything that everyone at our table got was fabulous. The free bruschetta, fried calamari, pork chop and beef tips tortellini, grits and pasta were all perfectly cooked and scrumptious. My husband and I shared the bread pudding and I can't tell you how delicious it was - better than the first time. We were seated outside and right in from of the two piece jazz ensemble and it was surprisingly pleasant and not too loud. This place will be a favorite for a long time!

Visited June 2013
Randy B, Public Relations Manager at Varanese, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Thanks so much for your fantastic review. We're so glad you had another outstanding experience with us and chose to share it with others. It means a great deal to receive the positive feedback as well as the not-so-good. Thank you again.
“It was OK......”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

Had heard good things about Varanese but left there disappointed. I had the beef tips and tortellini. Two people in our party had the pork chop and another had the roasted chicken and ravioli . The food wasn't very warm when served and overall everyone said their meal was just ok. I did try the mocha creme brûlée. Again ... Ok. I was surprised that the brûlée was cold inside..... I couldn't tell if it was supposed to be?

• Visited May 2013
Randy B, Public Relations Manager at Varanese, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
We're so sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your experience at Varanese. We'd love speak with you about why your experience was just okay, so that we can make sure all our guests have the best experience possible. If you have a moment, please give us a call and ask for our General Manager at 502-899-9904. Thanks so much for stopping in!