“Pleasant staff, convenient to U of L”

Cottonwood Suites Louisville Fair & Expo Center
Ranked #61 of 98 Hotels in Louisville
Reviewed October 16, 2012

The hotel itself is nice. The room (we stayed in room # 512) is a basic room. Nothing outstanding about it. Just an average Holiday Inn hotel room. The area surrounding the hotel is sketchy. I wouldn't walk around the area at night. Lots of people wandering through the parking lot.
VERY convenient to University of Louisville. I stayed at this particular Holiday Inn with a friend whose child is attending U of L. Shops are close as well (to include a CVS, Krispy Kreme, Krogers grocery, Steak and Shake).
The hotel staff was VERY kind and helpful - absolutely no complaints at all.
Would stay at this particular Holiday Inn again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Chris N, Guest Relations Manager at Cottonwood Suites Louisville Fair & Expo Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

We are glad you had an enjoyable stay while visiting U of L with your friend. We do pride ourself on our "Southern Hospitality" and thrilled you received it in full force. We look forward to seeing you again when you return to visit.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

After researching and reading the other reviews, I was worried about staying here with a group of women. The area was not as bad as some of the reviews suggested. Although I wouldn't necessarily want to walk anywhere or go to my car by myself after dark, it appeared perfectly safe (and I wouldn't necessarily do that in any city). ALL of the staff was extremely helpful and super friendly! With our large group of women, we interacted with everyone, including the front desk, housekeeping, bartender, shuttle driver, and even maintenance. (A smoke detector beeped but was fixed promptly and the maintenance guy was a hoot!) The front desk (Vanessa and her twin) worked to put our group together and away from other guests so we didn't bother others. The staff went above and beyond. Even the shuttle driver (Dallas) gave us recommendations of where to go, and directives for the taxi ride home. The rooms were clean, well kept, and insulated enough so that there wasn't much noise transfer between rooms/floors. Overall, we had a great experience.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you so much for your kind words regarding the hotel and staff, ie: Vanessa & "her twin" as well as Dallas. We take pride in knowing all guest are well taken care of while staying at Holiday Inn Louisville Southwest. It was truly a pleasure having your group of ladies here and welcome you all to come back anytime!

Reviewed September 24, 2012

I stayed a single night on a award booking, received excellent service at check in and check out. I arrived late at night and found that entry to the hotel was by approval of security guard only, a bit disconcerting given the neighborhood that I drove through to get here and the rental car in the parking lot. No problems observed though.

Hotel was build in the era of big boxes, rectangular building with rows of identical rooms. Functional but not overly appealing. The furnishings in the room were a higher quality than I expected and the room also had a recent remodel with new paint and electrical fixtures, I was disappointed with the lack of bedside electrical outlets. Elevators on the guest floors are isolated from the majority of rooms by swing doors that reminded me of a hospital and actually were a bit creepy. Restaurant on site should be avoided, received a totally inedible breakfast.

Priority Club benefits are strong here, even on an award I was offered a choice of $20 toward breakfast or a decent chunk of points.

Room Tip: Rooms seem basically equal though away from the elevator will be my request if find reason to return...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We stayed here for one night...hotel room was typical HI or HI Express type. Clean / comfortable. Pool was clean, heated, and area was in OK shape. Biggest issue was the parking lot and general sense of concern from folks staying there....there were alot of random people meandering through parking lot at all hours...nothing happened to our car but still felt a little uneasy after reviews on here...had to run out for a late bite and surrounding areas were a bit sketchy as well. Front desk clerk was great and very helpful.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Unfortunately, I can't really leave any positive comments for the hotel because the entire stay is being overshadowed by the fact that I was charged twice for the same hotel stay and the hotel won't return my phone calls or emails to fix the problem. I would be happy to leave a more positive review if the hotel would simply talk to me about the double-billing issue, but instead they send me to voicemail and then never return my call. So, I'm afraid poor customer service puts this hotel down on my list of Louisville hotels.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Carissa22
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Cottonwood Suites Louisville Fair & Expo Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Dear Carissa22,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at Holiday Inn Louisville Southwest, Louisville, KY. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed August 5, 2012

We stayed here for the street rod nationals car show. We had a truck, trailer and show car. We unloaded and drove the show car all weekend. We went to load up and our trailer had been STOLEN. We were assured that the hotel had security. Come to find out there are no outside cameras, the security guard only works 930pm to 430am. Apparently crime sprees are over by 430am. We also informed that the security guard only walks the parking lot once an hour and after a certain time his duties entail acter a certain hour to distribute newspapers throughout the inside of the hotel How is he supposed to watch the parking lot then? Talk about secure! After we found out it was stolen and filed a police report we wanted to speak to the general manager. Of course he wasn't there on a Saturday evening so we asked that he be called. Front desk clerk flat out refused. Asked if someone stole $5000 from the hotel if they would notify the general manager. They said yes. What's the difference? This hotel was full of show cars and trailers and everyone we talked to werent going to stay again as no one felt safe there. We have stayed here for at least 5 yrs because of convince in location to fairgrounds. This will be the last time.
On to the room, there was hair in the bathtub and on the floor in the bathroom. The shower leaked so there was always a puddle on the floor. We stayed in a room with 2 double beds (a four person room). Every day we were only stocked with 2 clean towels. So every night we had to call for towels. We asked if this was standard practice. The front desk clerk said well if u stay multiple nights we don't even have to clean your room. She was rude and incompetent.

• Stayed: August 2012
4  Thank Camaroval
Jodi S, General Manager at Cottonwood Suites Louisville Fair & Expo Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2012

Dear Camaroval: We greatly appreciate receiving your comments and sincerely regret that your stay was not as you should have received at this hotel and I would very much like to speak to you further about your stay if you would call me at 502.448.2027. I will be meeting with my staff to discuss where we fell below your expectations. I do want you to know, however, that our property has a very good record regarding our property security and have not had a reported parking lot incident for several years and I am personally upset about this incident and want you to know that we will cooperate with the police in this matter. Thank you for your comments and I look forward to speaking to you directly.”

Jodi Sandlin, GM

Reviewed August 4, 2012

We stayed here for a quick overnight stop on the way to Florida, even though we arrived in the middle of the night the receptionist was polite and helpful. Our room was clean and comfortable, and despite being somewhat older than other Holiday Inns in the area, we felt it was good value for money. We'd likely stay here again if we needed to.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family