“Not your Father's Residence Inn” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Residence Inn Louisville East

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Residence Inn Louisville East
Ranked #36 of 95 Hotels in Louisville
Kentucky
“Not your Father's Residence Inn”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2009

Although situated in a convenient location for East side business, this hotel is very disappointing. For starters, the staff all seem to be tattooed work release inmates with no idea what the words customer service means. The room was in poor condition with soiled carpets, holes in the curtains, loose toilet seat, and old style television. Apparently they lay out two USA Today newspapers because each morning I went to the lobby early and I couldn't find any. I was told by the unapologetic desk attendant the newspapers were already gone. I've stayed at larger hotels with a higher census than what was staying at this hotel and I could always get a newspaper.

The breakfast is plentiful, but the dining area is upstairs with no elevator available. If you stay here on a Monday, don't get the backside which faces the backside of a strip mall. At 4 am the garbage truck empties the dumpsters right outside your window which startles you from your sleep.

The good: It is more like a motel with outside doors which allows for easy loading/unloading suitcases. The room had a fireplace you could burn composition logs in which were available for purchase at the front desk. A warning said the fireplace wasn't designed to burn real wood, but I doubt that is true. I bet the real wood creates more of a mess with ashes.

Overall, this hotel does not meet the standard of quality you're used to with the Marriott family of hotels or Residence Inn properties. However, I'd stay here again on business utilizing my expense account for the convenience to the East side and to rack up some Marriott points. If I was using my own money instead of my company's, I'd likely stay somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Matewan24

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Chicago Suburbs
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2009

We were originally told this hotel has 2 bedrooms with 2 beds in one room and 1 bed an the other room. There ended up being a loft with one bed , a bedroom with a sliding curtain with a wall pulldown bed, and then a coach in the living room with a hideabed. this was misleading. The room needed vacumming, the beds were old and not firm, and overall, the appearance of the room was outdated. there were no placed to store clothing inside drawers. the tv's were ancient.
On the positive, the morning breakfast was great (probably a $25 per day value), the basketball/volleyball area/ swimming area was great for the kids, and the room was very large. If this hotel could be updated, and a little cleaner, I would rate it much better.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
USA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2008

We stayed here on our way to vacation in NC. It was a quick overnight stay. This property is in major need of updating. I can't believe Marriott can allow one of their hotels to get this beat up. It was dirty, very dirty and the interior rooms needed to be redone years ago. The laminate flooring was coming up and stained and the corners filthy. The bathroom had mold in all the corners of the shower the countertops were stained and damaged. The carpet was disgusting. Even the sheets on the bed were ripped. This was our second room because the first one they gave us was just as gross and the highway noise was unbearable. So I asked for a room away from the highway. The staff was not friendly and helpful. I asked if we could have the sofa bed made up for our daughter to sleep on since we had been driving 15 hours that day and the last thing I wanted to do is pull out and make a sofa bed. (They knew we needed a sofa bed since reservations a month previous.) They were very rude and I was very nice and they (There were two of them) said with an attitude "NO we don't do that!" The breakfast was horrible. The room was so small and all the guests could not fit inside. The food was not of the quality that we have come to expect with a Residence Inn. I couldn't eat any of it. They didn't even have little cereal boxes for cereal. I was very dissapointed in our whole experience. We usually love Residence Inn's.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank MeemiUsa
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2007

My husband arrived on 12/21/07 and I arrived the following AM. We were traveling with our 2 cats and had very positive experiences at other Residence Inns... The room was poorly maintained. Carpet and cobwebs aggravated respiratory allergies. Windows and sliding glass doors so poorly sealed that wind and rain gusted into room during storm causing curtains to billow. Hot water heater not working due to circuit breaker issue, but hotel staff intimated we had simply used up hot water. No apology from hotel staff. Room arrangement would not allow opening of sofa bed without moving several pieces of furniture. They offered to let us move to another suite, but I could not imagine the condition of other suites would be much better. Called national customer service to request move to another Residence Inn in area. Customer service rep left message that we would not be charged for room and that he found other option, but did not leave number to call back for this info. The staff charged us the full price. We left town a day early and without attending the family gathering we had traveled to the area for. I can't imagine a worse experience.

• Liked — Breakfast attendant was very efficient and friendly
  • Disliked — condition of room and management response
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RNtravels
Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2007

For the Labor Day weekend, we chose to spend some time in Louisville. I like to stay at Residence Inns because they are usually quiet and spacious. Frankly, I prefer the old quad-style buildings over the new hotel-style simply because they are quieter. This property is the old style, but that doesn't mean it has an old feeling. The place is quite nice. We got a penthouse suite (upstairs bedroom along with a downstairs murphy bed) and it felt like it had been recently renovated. The only negative was that our microwave did not work and a call to the office didn't garner much sympathy or any solution besides the suggestion that we could use the microwave in the office. This was not practical since it's quite a walk. Everything else was just fine. Our room was quiet, the murphy bed was surprisingly comfortable, we had free wired internet, and the place is close to a lot of shopping and restaurants. I booked directly through Marriott and the rate was $139, which isn't bad at all for a large room on a nice side of town. We will definitely consider returning.

• Liked — Large quiet rooms
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Capitol Traveler
Eastern Iowa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2007

I was in Louisville for one night recently and picked this because the Courtyard was booked up. There were no problems with the property, it's just a bit farther from the freeway. The room was quite and the breakfast was good. I did not have problems with the internet. I could stay here again if needed.

• Liked — it was quite
  • Disliked — lack of food choices close to hotel
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2004

We stayed here Dec. 23 - 30, 2004. My wife's daughter lives in Louisville so we try to spend Christmas week in the city. Last year we stayed at the Hyatt downtown, which was very nice, but not convenient to her work or home. Also, eating every meal out was expensive.

The Residence Inn Louisville East has a great location in one of the nicer areas of Louisville. It is on Hurstbourne right off Shelbyville Rd. and is near two upscale malls and a number of restaurants as well as other shopping. It is within reasonable striking distance of downtown, Bardstown Rd. and the airport.

The hotel's layout is like a garden apartment complex. Rather than one big building, there are 12 building which each have eight rooms. There are studio and "penthouse" rooms; we stayed in a studio. The room was spacious (at least 50% larger than a typical hotel room) with a full kitchen with good quality appliances, utensils, a toaster and coffeemaker, microwave and regular ovens, a full size refrigerator with ice-maker. The room also had a real fireplace which was a nice touch; the first log was included, additional logs were available at the front desk (though we got them more cheaply at Kroger's). We prepared and ate most of our meals at the hotel. Breakfast was included and was decent if ultimately a bit monotonous. The breakfast features "make your own" waffles but three out of the seven days the waffle iron was out of order, and one day they were also out of orange juice.

Where the Residence Inn fell down was on maintenance. The rooms are adequately furnished and basically clean but the carpet in our room was worn and stained. On Christmas day at around ten the maid knocked on our door to tell us that because of the holiday they were knocking off early and did we need anything? Perhaps understandable though the Hyatt managed to clean our room last Christmas. The next-to-last day there our room was not cleaned at all, with no explanation. When we called the front desk there was no apology or explanation but they did bring us new towels.

We arrived the day of a major snow/ice storm and the hotel did not do a very good job of cleaning off the paths or sidewalks. It was very slippery from the parking lot to our room and we called to ask them to spread ice or sand in front of our door so we would not slip, but nothing was done. The rooms are supposed to have free high-speed Internet but our room lacked an Ethernet connection; we used dial-up instead, for which admittedly they did not charge us although there is supposed to be a $.75 per call charge.

Their marriott rate for the holiday week was $79/night and even with the poor maintenance we felt it was a good deal considering the quality of the room, the location, and the full kitchen. Despite everything we would stay here again at this rate, but I would have hesitation about staying here for the more typical $140 or so a night.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member