“Good place to stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 94 Hotels in Louisville
Tallahassee, Florida
“Good place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

This is the reason I am giving this property a 4: when I arrived at the hotel in the rain a few weeks ago, there was no doorman/valet person to meet me. I called the hotel and told the person I spoke to I was outside and was told I had to wait for the valet to come. I waited about another 15 minutes and decided to get out of my car (in the rain by the way) and remove my 2 bags. I was wet, hungry and tired. I handed the keys to the car to the valet (who by the way was in the building standing behind his station). So I spoke to the reception person about this and found out that he was the one I spoke to. I was extremely angry by this point and made that known. This person told me I did not say I was outside when I called and that he was sorry. Why would I call and tell you that it is raining and ask you where the valets were, if I was not outside? Anyway, I went to bed fuming. By the next morning, there was an envelope under my bed and I thought they were throwing me out!!! But it was a very very nice apology letter, (the best I have ever had from a hotel) acknowledging his mistake. That never happens. And for my troubles gave me breakfast vouchers at Gatsby restaurant. I was very happy.

Other than the customer service, it is a good place to stay - just good. I know they are trying to maintain and preserve the hotel, but the decor and the room sizes are too outdated and small for me. And that dank smell - I just could not get over it!

It is a great place if you want to see what the hotel the author Fitzgerald wrote about, the famous Oakroom and Seelbach Bar as well as the history of the place. But for me it was just it is a place that you stay a few times and that is it - unless you do not have a choice.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank ninomoi
Peter D, Guest Relations Manager at Seelbach Hilton, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
There are few things worse than being hungry, tired and then unnecessarily wet. I am so sorry that you ended up in the rain in that way. Our Bell and Valet staff should have been ready, waiting and even more alert to the front due to the rain. Please accept my sincere apology for the poor communication and poor arrival experience. While I wish you had never had that experience, I am glad to learn that our team member made it right by providing the apology letter and the complimentary breakfast.

Likewise, I apologize for any foul smell you experienced. I trust that in the time since your stay, our staff should have identified and remedied the smell. But as a safeguard, if you are willing, please reach out to the hotel directly to provide details as to where you experienced the smell.

It is disappointing to learn that you had a poor arrival experience that seems to have set the tone for a very average or perhaps disappointing stay. We take great pride in providing the best accommodations for business travelers such as yourself. We will take all of this feedback into consideration as we seek to improve training, service and amenities.

Thank you for your business and we hope that you give us another opportunity should your business travels take you through Louisville again!

Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Stayed at this beautiful hotel for five nights for the USA Gymnastics Championships and it was great! Free shuttle service to and from airport. Definitely worth staying on the concierge level. You will get a pretty good breakfast, afternoon hors_d'oeuvres and evening desserts. It is open the majority of the day, unlike most concierge levels. Comfortable bed and pretty good room service. It is located in the heart of downtown next to lots of shops and restaurants and "Fourth Street Live." This is my second stay and we will definitely come back again if my family is ever in Louisville.

Room Tip: Cannot go wrong with 7th, 8th or 10th floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
Peter D, Guest Relations Manager at Seelbach Hilton, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Thank you for the wonderful response! We enjoyed hosting the USA Gymnastics competitors, staff and attendees. It was a busy weekend as Louisville was also hosting the annual Forecastle Music Festival. We are so glad you selected the Seelbach Hilton as your hotel for the week. We always love to hear from our repeat guests and we look forward to seeing you on your third stay!

Charleston, West Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

From the moment you walk through the doors of The Seelbach, you see and feel the rich history of this gorgeous hotel. If you're a fan of The Great Gatsby, this is a must.

The rooms are small, but nonetheless wonderful. Remember, this hotel was built in 1905 - large luxurious rooms were not the norm back then.

Go to the bar, have one of their signature drinks. Eat dinner in The Oakroom and imagine Al Capone at the table next to you.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
It is reviews like this that help me maintain the same passion for this historic hotel as I had when I first started. There is nothing like the history, architecture and endless stories that can be experienced at a historic hotel like the Seelbach Hilton. I have said it before that it is a living, breathing museum and it really does keep history alive! I am so glad to hear that you and your significant other were able to enjoy the hotel, the Oakroom and the Old Seelbach Bar. Many thanks for your separate, glowing review of the Oakroom Brunch.

As you have referenced, our connection to the Great Gatsby is a source of great pride. Keep an eye out for announcements of special events that we host with a Gatsby theme. Last year the Oakroom hosted a Great Gatsby Dinner with 5 course service and a showing of the 1974 version of the movie with Robert Redford. Period appropriate attire was encouraged and the sold out crowd did not disappoint. We are hoping to make this at least an annual event!

Once again, our thanks for the wonderful reviews. We look forward to your next return!

Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

The parking was pretty good for a downtown hotel. After you locate the garage by a couple turns around the block, it's right behind the hotel and convenient to get in the back door. It seemed that the front of the hotel had no ramp for luggage so you could not use the carts to take in luggage if you had that much. Wheeling it all in from the garage was tedious. I know this does not bother business travelers but we were there with two small kids and I would not recommend this hotel for families. Otherwise, the history of the hotel is cool to walk around and look at. The location is very good for downtown events. There ARE some cracks in the doors :), the elevators are old and really small, The room we had was pretty small and had a small bathroom but turned out to be okay. The bed and covers were top rate. The charm of the place balanced it out. Walking around the hotel you are struck with old age and history. Which one you like or dislike the most determines your stay I think. Some things are not up to the maintenance levels they should be, but it's an old place. Not as kept up as a few other historic hotels I have been in. I give it four stars and say try it a time or two, but I like a couple of other ones in the area for my needs.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Tony D
Our sincere thanks for taking a moment to share your experience! I'm glad you and your family selected the Seelbach Hilton for your accommodations. It sounds like you had a mixed experience and I wanted to take a moment to address a few of your concerns.

In regards to parking, I apologize if any of our staff failed to suggest that you pull into the valet area in front of the hotel to check in and unload luggage. Our Front Desk, Valet and Bell staff are trained to inform guests of the availability of temporary parking in the valet area to allow guests to check in and unload luggage. I agree that it can certainly be a more tedious and cumbersome task to bring in luggage from the garage, especially with little ones! As such, we offer both valet and self parking guests the time in the valet area to check in and unload luggage, and then park accordingly.

I apologize as well for any disrepair you may have found with the guest room door. This summer marks the beginning of a major capital upgrade, as we are replacing all guest room doors. Come see us again within the next year as this project should be finished! This is one of many current and recent projects to improve the hotel. We have just replaced all mattresses in the last 3 months and all linens and pillows in the last 9 months. Thank you for noticing these with your "top rate" marks.

We work tirelessly to execute top notch maintenance of this iconic hotel, especially in the areas that our guests bring to our attention. It is this type of feedback that allows us the opportunity to improve the service for each future guest, hopefully for another 109+ years!

Thank you again for your business. I hope that you give us another opportunity beyond the once or twice try. Please reach out to myself or any of our management team to assist in preparing a more comfortable and enjoyable experience for your next trip to Louisville.

Holland, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

Stayed three nights at this very nice and clean hotel. The hotel was packed because there was a huge music festival going on along with USA gymnastics championship. While the valets are numerous, the front desk usually had two people and sometimes one. Not enough to deal with the number of people in the hotel. While the bar is expensive, despite there only being one server in a packed bar, we were taken cared of on a Friday night. Had breakfast and lunch a t the restaurant and thought the food was average and expensive.
The location of this hotel is great and you can walk to many bars and restaurants on 4th Street Live.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking a few minutes to share your thoughts from your recent stay. We take all feedback to heart and do our best to turn these opportunities into a better guest experience, both for you on your next stay, and all future guests.

In regards to Front Desk staffing, I apologize if there was any unnecessary wait or delay in service. We have taken this feedback to heart and we have just hired two new team members that will assist at the Front Desk (one Guest Services Agent and one Guest Services Manager).

I'm sorry to hear that the food was not exceptional. We change our menus often and always love feedback for specific items which do and do not hit the mark.

Thank you again for your feedback. We hope that you and your family have the opportunity to visit us again soon!

Millville, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

The Seelbach is a beautiful hotel. The staff most friendly. helpful and courteous. The location is perfect for easy walk to great restaurants, bars and entertainment. I would highly recommend to everyone

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
      Location
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Good morning! Thank you for taking the time to provide some feedback and such high marks for your recent stay. I trust that you and your friends enjoyed your experience in Louisville and we look forward to your next stay. It is the "highly recommend to everyone" that we receive from guests like you that we truly cherish. It is also what has kept us in business since 1905!

Craig Reeves
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

Spent several days here for business conference. Initially I was into the history and elegance of the hotel.

Then I started noticing the details were lacking.

The rooms are small and dated. They have been painted before and all the chrome still has paint on it. The phones are old and falling apart. The doors still have the charm of the room service box through the doors but the service platters are too big to fit in them. Only reason I knew that because of all the food platters sitting in the hall the whole time I was there. The lamps have plugs in the for your use. But they are plugged into the wall which is controlled by the room light switch. The plug in the walls barely hold anything you plug them into

Now the beds are great. Soft and comfortable along with the pillows

The bathrooms are poorly put together the shower you have to hug the wall to get wet. It's crammed to say the least

The lobby is great probably the best part of the hotel other than The Old Seelback Bar. The bartender at the bar was nice and we talked about the signature drinks. Was a great experience. The

The conference center areas were nice but not overly excited. The bathrooms for the conference area were bad. The plumbing must have a problem cause the stalls always were clogged. What started me looking around the hotel and lack of details was this bathroom. The faucets were loose from the countertops. You go to turn the water on and they would shake.

I didn't get to experience the oak room as I was hoping to see the Capone Room. It was closed and the next night I went in and they were open but wouldn't show it during open hours

The Rathskeller was neat we had a reception there. If these walls could speak I wish I could be there.

I think this was a neat place for the reception but with a large group you can't hear yourself talk due to the acoustics of the arched ceilings

The staff for the reception bar was not friendly. The bar was poorly stocked and you had to buy tickets to buy drinks.

The staff at the lobby was great, helpful and would tell you all you wanted to know about the hotel

In all I've been to several historic hotels but after getting to stay in it.

Sorry Seelback I'm sure you were "the place" back in the day but I wasn't impressed

Stayed July 2014
Thank you for the feedback! We appreciate such a thorough response with both highlights and opportunities for us to improve. Thank you for the lovely compliments for the Rathskeller, Old Seelbach Bar and the team members with whom you interacted. Our thanks as well for highlighting the comfortable bed and pillows. We have installed brand new mattresses hotel wide within the last 3 months, and all new pillows in the last 9 months.

Thank you as well for bringing to our attention some of the details that we can improve upon. We work tirelessly to fix and improve upon items such as plumbing, loose faucets, loose outlets etc. If you are willing to contact the hotel directly to provide the room number that you stayed in, it helps us pinpoint some of those issues that we may have been unable to locate and remedy since your stay.

There is one point of clarification that I wanted to mention in case there was any confusion. And please accept my sincere apologies if any member of our staff informed you otherwise, but the small box on the base of the guest room door is a shoe shine box. You are correct that a Room Service platter would not fit. They are not designed for In Room Dining/Room Service Delivery, but are designed to place your shoes should you require shine service. We have offered this service for many years and in an era when shoe shines were more commonly utilized we checked each box nightly. We now simply ask that you place your shoes in the box and call the Front Desk or Bell Stand for service. A $5 charge is assessed to the room and a freshly shined pair of shoes is waiting for you in the morning! I must however apologize if any used Room Service trays were left in the hallway by guests and not retrieved in a timely manner by our In Room Dining staff.

We clearly missed the mark in the details during your stay and on behalf of our entire team I want to apologize. It is our goal to have each guest be not only satisfied with their stay, but also impressed with our service, amenities and our iconic history.

We do hope you give us another chance to impress you should your travels take you through Louisville again. Please feel free to reach out to me directly so that I may assist with making your next stay more impressive than the last.