“The Seelbach Hotel”

Seelbach Hilton
Ranked #19 of 95 Hotels in Louisville
“The Seelbach Hotel”
Reviewed June 5, 2014

The hotel is grand, the staff is lovely however the AC was way too noisy. The walls and door are thin..even the slightest laughter in the hallway was heard. Outside activities like loud music from in front of the Hard Rock Cafe was not welcomed after 9:00pm. The bathroom albeit lovely was the size of a postage stamp. The counter top didn't have enough room for anything other than toothpaste or toothbrush. And there should have been a mini-fridge in the room, which there was not. The iron stained my husband's shirt. Thankfully our dry cleaner was able to get it out! Lovely place, lovely staff....... details need to thought of differently. And acted upon.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
Owensboro, KY
Reviewed June 5, 2014

The Seelbach Hilton in Louisville, KY is always a treat. Beds are divine, rooms are peaceful, the staff is impeccable. I've never once been disappointed. The Rathskeller, decorated in Rookwood Pottery, is beautiful, and I always slip down the stairs to have a peek. It's a magical room, and I'd love to experience it during an event. The Old Seelbach Bar is the perfect place to have a nightcap and a snack. The Seelbach's location cannot be beat, either. It's perfect for roaming Louisville on foot. Fourth Street Live is just steps away if you want to burn the midnight oil, and, if that's not your thing, you've escaped the ruckus as soon as you reenter the hotel. The Seelbach Hilton is a very special hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 4, 2014

Stayed at the Seelbach for a couples weekend at the end of May 2014. When you first step into the hotel you feel like you've gone back in time. It's grand yet quaint. Definitely check out the Rathskeller in the basement and the Al Capone poker room. The hotel has kept up the details from its era and there's even a Historian on staff that will provide tours/stories. Location is very convenient to 4th Street Live, Louisville Slugger factory, and many restaurants.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed June 4, 2014

Read up on the Seelbach before your stay and you'll keep one eye open and hear every creek that goes bump in the night. As the story goes a woman in blue fell to her death down the elevator shaft? What that has to do with the 8th floor I have no clue. There is nothing really extra special about The Seelbach but everything is nice and clean. I was there on business and that is where my company put me up. I had a burger from the restaurant for lunch that was very good and the bar was adequate in the evening. When I got back to my room and found that it would not cool, the staff gladly moved me from the 9th floor to the 6th. The BEST thing about this hotel is the location. It is on the corner of 4th Street Live (the covered outdoor bar/restaurant/music area in D'Town Louisville). This is very convenient. I would give it an above average rating. Higher or lower marks would depend on a ghost sighting :)

Room Tip: Don't choose the 8th floor. That is the floor where the Woman in Blue is said to visit from tim...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Louisville, United States
Reviewed June 4, 2014

It was okay mainly because the front desk attendant didn't seem very well trained, I personally had to walk her through the tax rate and calculations of a room stay. I had black mold in my bathroom, advised the staff and it seemed to be no big deal, then the worse part no follow up.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed May 31, 2014

I spent four nights at the Seelbach recently.

I already knew the place was old, so I expected the small rooms, although the relatively low ceilings in the hallways surprised me. I have stayed at historical hotels before like the Palace in San Francisco, and they had high ceilings and more updated facilities. The Seelbach had really old looking showers.

The bed was comfortable, and the furnishings in the room were fine. The elevators were tiny. The gym was about as expected for a Hilton gym in a hotel of this size. It made me think of the Hilton in Salt Lake City.

They offer 24 hour room service, but I did not try it. I did go to eat at the Seelbach bar one night. It was pretty empty, and my server seemed surprised that I wanted to eat in addition to drink. I don't think food is the emphasis in this hotel, except maybe at the Oak Room. The Seelbach Bar has a similar menu to Gatsby's, and it wasn't great.

My beef with the place was the housekeeping. As I mentioned, I was there for four nights. I tipped the same amount every day to the staff, and every day, the housekeeper did less and less. By my last day, not only did she not fully replenish the coffee supplies, she did not fold the towels in the bathroom (I don't mind them not being replaced, but I do expect them to be something other than left hanging on the shower bar. If the Seelbach wants to proclaim itself a 5 star hotel, it should provide 5 star service, and leaving hand towels rumpled on the counter is not something I'd expect at a motel, let alone a Hilton.

Location is good if you need to be in downtown Louisville.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 31, 2014

Stayed here for one night in May 2014, travelling with family. The hotel is very opulent - the lobby is an art deco dream and the Rookwood pottery room downstairs a sight to behold.

The service though was pretty shoddy - we arrived in the middle of a torrential downpour - valet parking guy came with his umbrella to ask if we were parking, which was fairly obvious. He then disappeared, leaving us and our luggage to get absolutely soaked. He didn't fill in our valet ticket either, which meant his colleagues had to search for our car for some time when we left.

We stayed on the top floor, our room was spacious and clean. Very high ceilings. Bathroom was nice, but lacked space to put anything down in. The bed though was fabulous, very comfortable. Access to the executive lounge was great, free drinks and canapes and an honesty bar for spirits.

The hotel comped us breakfast after our poor welcome - buffet style in the Gatsby breakfast room, it was plentiful and tasty, with omelettes made to order by a friendly chef.

The bar has a massive selection of bourbons which pleased my partner, as we were heading off on the bourbon trail afterwards. The bar isn't as swish as you'd think from the rest of the hotel though.

The hotel is situated right next to main street live area which is good for bars on a saturday night. the microbrewery on the corner of the main street live block was good.

All in all, I'd stay there again, just for the bed - so comfortable!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family