Seelbach Hilton
The Brown Hotel(Louisville)
$208
  • Restaurant
1,840 results
All reviewsseelbach barhistoric hotelgreat gatsbyal caponeexecutive floorscott fitzgeraldgrand staircaserooms are smallfourth street livegreat historybeautiful lobbydowntown louisvillethe concierge levelan older hotelhotel barcorner roomvalet parking
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Friendly staff (front desk and concierge) Lobby felt crowded because of ongoing renovations of stairs / second floor Good location (close to many restaurants). I checked -in on a Thursday and it was very noisy outside because of "Bike Night" which is on Thursdays during the summer Starbucks shop attached to hotel Clean room Small bathroom size

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I love this hotel. It is old and grand, centrally located in Louisville and within walking distance of several terrific restaurants. A terrific steak house directly across the street from the hotel. This hotel also is available to pet owners. We stay here every year with our 2 small dogs, when we are traveling back to SC from Chicago.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Our family decided to get out of town for Labor Day and at the last minute booked a weekend in Louisville. My wife and I had not been to the Seelbach since the late 1980's and hoped it was still the majestic hotel we remembered. The Seelbach was in great shape and the staff was fantastic!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

I really wish i could write a better review for them. I liked everything about my stay EXCEPT the bedbugs. Stayed Aug 8-11 for a convention. August 9 was itchy, didn't think much about it. Aug 10 in the evening found bites in straight lines of 2 and 3. I sent a picture to a physician friend who confirmed they were bedbug bites. Bites were on my thighs. I wore long pants and was inside at the convention, so could only have gotten them in bed. I looked, but couldn't find any actual bugs. I called the front desk. They were very polite and moved me to another room for my last night, though I'm afraid I couldn't sleep feeling imaginary mandibles. They told me they would check the room and send me am email. Along with my $600+ bill they gave me a coupon for a free drink at Starbucks- kind of a laugh. I figured they'd tell me they didn't find anything, and so they did; but the bites tell another tale. My suitcase is still wrapped in black plastic in the garage. I'm afraid to take it in.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank DrCindy87
Brandt F, Manager at Seelbach Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Dear DrCindy87,
After reading your review of your August stay at the Seelbach Hilton, I feel I must respond to your comments and allegations of bedbugs. I appreciate the comment that you enjoyed everything about your stay "except the bedbugs".
As I am sure you are aware, there has been a great deal of news coverage indicating a resurgence in the bedbug population since the 1940's. Hotels, hospitals, apartments, airports and such have all been subject to scrutiny with claims of bedbug bites. As a preventative measure and education on proper treatment, our staff has undergone extensive training on how to properly inspect for these pests on a daily basis, as well as what to do if they suspect they have found the bugs. Then of course, anytime we have a complaint of potential bedbugs, as with your situation, we shut the room down and take it out of order until our pest company is brought in for an official inspection. They are licensed to inspect and treat if necessary and guarantee the effectiveness of the treatments.
As you know, the inspection of your room by this firm was negative. There was no evidence of bedbugs active or inactive. The room was returned to service immediately following, and there have been no further complaints made regarding this issue. Although your physician friend identified the bites as bedbug from, I am assuming a phone photo, based on our findings, I would not be able to support this identification as accurate.
I do not mean to be unkind or uncaring, however unsubstantiated allegations such as this turned out to be can unfairly damage the reputation of a property or facility. I do regret the situation and that you were uncomfortable during your stay. Should you wish to discuss further, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Regards,
Brandt Ford

Reviewed September 5, 2013

We love historic hotels and this one opened up in 1905...I think. The lobby and all the common areas are spectacular. One must check out the ballroom where they just filmed the Great Gatsby. And also not miss the Rathskeller which is decorated with Rookwood Pottery. Our room was on the executive level and was nice and cool. The air worked great which was great to have due to summer temps in Louisville. Don't forget to grab a drink in the Oak Room.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family