“A bit overpriced, but a great location”
Review of Seelbach Hilton

Seelbach Hilton
Ranked #19 of 95 Hotels in Louisville
New York City, New York
“A bit overpriced, but a great location”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

This Hilton property is in an amazing location. Right next to all sorts of restaurants, bars and businesses that you may be in town to visit. It is also a short walk to the YUM center if you are in town for a game or concert.

On my last stay at this hotel, I had two rooms as I was traveling with a co-worker. The hotel upgraded us to one of their "named" suites which was two separate rooms connected by a living room with fire place and dinning room table. It was a bit ornate but a nice surprise. (The rooms were separated by locked doors).

I will say this hotel is a bit dated when it comes to looks. The furniture, the hallways, even the towels felt a little old.

If you don't mind the old feel of this hotel, then I would certainly put it at the top of your list for a downtown Louisville property. It was clean, the staff is friendly, there is a starbucks in the lobby and if you do a little research you can read about the amazing history that the Seelbach has....it may surprise you.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a one night get-away near the down town. There were some nice things about the hotel, but the bad FAR outweighed the good and I would not stay again.
Good: Beautify lobby, excellent food in the bar at a reasonable price, location near downtown happenings.
Bad: 1) The smell - the smell upstairs (9th floor) and in our room was not just that of an old building. It smelled like a combination of death and something rotting. 2) The corner room size was large (paid extra) but the bathroom was the smallest I'd ever seen - imagine the bath in a clown car where only one person fits and when you sit the TP dispenser is in one rib and the sink is in your other side. The soaps were upgraded, but there was no fancy marble bathroom as advertised, and the room was sparsely furnished. 3) The condition was somewhat rundown - cracked, chipped flooring in the hall and peeling wallpaper in the bath. 4) The price - I've stayed at many 3 and 4 star hotels, this was not up to those standards for the price. Honestly, aside from the lobby, most Hampton inns offer better accommodations, furnishings and friendlier staff. I would have moved to the Brown, but they were already booked full and there was no way to get my 35K Hilton points back. I rank cleanliness poor because there is no explanation or excuse for that odor in any hotel, let alone one claiming to be 4 diamonds.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are larger
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank miltravler
Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

The Bellman go through your luggage and steal prescription medication!!! We reported the incident to the General Manager, Mark Wood and we might as well have reported it to the homeless guy on the corner. We've tried to get in touch with him on two occasions but he hasn't returned our calls.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank AngelaRitchie3674
Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

Service is definitely the high point of the Seelbach. The staff are responsive, attentive, and very good in most every way. The associated bar and restaurants are very good and breakfast selection and quality is great. But I must say that I was not that impressed on the whole with the so called "Deluxe King" room that we booked using HHonor points. While the material quality was high for the room furnishings and bathroom fixtures, the shower tile were discolored, the wallpaper was separating from the wall in places, the room and bathroom size was small, and the rooms were not well soundproofed from hall noises. All in all it was a nice stay, a good breakfast, but I'm not certain that it was worth the points.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank DrDougB57
San Mateo, CA
Reviewed February 2, 2013

It is so lovely to go to a city and stay at a hotel that is all about that city -- that isn't exactly like every other Hilton or Hyatt or radisson in any other city. The Seelbach is a historic property in downtown Louisville, a town that is putting great energy into renewing its downtown and its roots. The rooms are very comfortable. Front desk is great. Dinner at the bar was casual and tasty. The second evening I was there a fancy dress event was being held, and it was clear that this is a great place for an upscale night on the town.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Charlotte
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Stayed here for Syracuse/Louisville game. Syracuse beat #1 Louisville. Go cuse! Anyway, the hotel was in a great Location downtown, right on 4th street, which is home to many bars and restaurants. The Yum center is only a 10 minute walk with great sports bars in between. The hotel is historic and old fashioned but is very clean and well kept. The staff was very friendly and the room was clean and good size. They also have a free shuttle to and from the airport. I would recommend it for anyone staying downtown.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 2, 2013

This 'thank you' is long overdue, and a bit lengthy, I'm afraid.

Last October, I flew from London (my home) to Louisville, via Atlanta (long story!), and decided to experience riding on the good old Greyhound Bus, I've heard so much about, to get to my sister's house a few miles from Lexington, Kentucky. On landing, I took a taxi from Louisville airport to the bus station down town, and arrived there around 7:00pm. Guess what? - Bus station closed, to be re-opened at 10:30pm! There's me: sitting in this taxi - extremely tired, lacking sleep, thirsty, fed-up, somewhat dishevelled, mobile phone battery dead; and an increasingly irritated (but gentlemanly and seemingly caring) taxi driver wondering out loud, " What do you want me to do next, madam?" I can take you to Lexington for about $600:00". (Meanwhile charges on the taxi meter edging up, alarmingly whilst we sit pondering.) "$600:00!" I agonised, silently. "Gosh, that's the price of a beautiful leather handbag, right there!" I wrestled with my thoughts. " Look, he reasoned, interrupting my thoughts, "I'll take you to a hotel; and you can stay there until about 10:00pm and then walk down to the bus station when it's opened, OK?" I'll take you to the Seelbach, he continued, it's near and they are nice people; I take many peoples there." Okay, I said meekly; whilst glancing at the meter; and then at the dark, totally deserted and somewhat intimidating area around the bus station.

A couple of minutes later we arrived at the entrance of this mightily impressive and imposing, architecturally masterful, luxurious Haven of Rest called the Seelbach. "Gosh, maybe I look somewhat 'well of' to this here Somalian gentleman of a taxi driver." "Surely this place must be for the likes of Madonna and other such rich celebs," I silently stuttered. Mr Somalian seemed slightly bemused by the 'what the dickens...' look on my face. Anyway, I thought, must pay this chap and let him get off, did not have enough cash, so first, I needed an automated cash point, then rest, and liquid. On entering the magnificent lobby, I was convinced that the staff would be snooty and unhelpful; after all, I would be asking to stay just for a couple of hours, and I looked tired and fed-up - enough to 'put off' people, as we say over here; and this place, WOW! How wrong I was!

The bell-boys(?) were charming, friendly and helpful in helping me to locate the cash-point in the exquisitely beautiful lobby and providing me with other information; the pretty young lady at the desk and her manager(?) were incredibly helpful in a number of ways: they looked up phone numbers for me (I had the wrong phone number for my sister), allowed me to use their phone at the desk to ring her, without charge; gave me a bottle of mineral water without charge, allowed me to use the guest computer to access some relevant information pertaining to my sister's address; encouraged me to sit, be comfortable and relax in their fine lobby - for as long as I needed to. They were ALL so caring, accommodating, and genuinely kind that I felt like crying with gratitude, I really did (...It could have been the dog-tiredness, also :)) Anyway, I decided against the greyhound experience and got my sister to send her hubby to collect me by car. Got to their house about 1:30am - safe, hydrated, and relaxed (...with no charges) THANKS to Mr Somalian (can't remember his name his name:( ), the taxi driver, for taking me to a wonderful and fantastic hotel, the Seelbach in Louisville - with the kindest of staff. THANK YOU PEOPLE; THANK YOU ALL. If I were to get married again, guess where the reception will be held...? :)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo