“Supposedly high end hotel provides small rooms and smaller bathroom.”
Review of Seelbach Hilton

Seelbach Hilton
Ranked #19 of 97 Hotels in Louisville
Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

Service is definitely the high point of the Seelbach. The staff are responsive, attentive, and very good in most every way. The associated bar and restaurants are very good and breakfast selection and quality is great. But I must say that I was not that impressed on the whole with the so called "Deluxe King" room that we booked using HHonor points. While the material quality was high for the room furnishings and bathroom fixtures, the shower tile were discolored, the wallpaper was separating from the wall in places, the room and bathroom size was small, and the rooms were not well soundproofed from hall noises. All in all it was a nice stay, a good breakfast, but I'm not certain that it was worth the points.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank DrDougB57
There are newer reviews for Seelbach Hilton

Reviewed February 2, 2013

It is so lovely to go to a city and stay at a hotel that is all about that city -- that isn't exactly like every other Hilton or Hyatt or radisson in any other city. The Seelbach is a historic property in downtown Louisville, a town that is putting great energy into renewing its downtown and its roots. The rooms are very comfortable. Front desk is great. Dinner at the bar was casual and tasty. The second evening I was there a fancy dress event was being held, and it was clear that this is a great place for an upscale night on the town.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Stayed here for Syracuse/Louisville game. Syracuse beat #1 Louisville. Go cuse! Anyway, the hotel was in a great Location downtown, right on 4th street, which is home to many bars and restaurants. The Yum center is only a 10 minute walk with great sports bars in between. The hotel is historic and old fashioned but is very clean and well kept. The staff was very friendly and the room was clean and good size. They also have a free shuttle to and from the airport. I would recommend it for anyone staying downtown.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 2, 2013

This 'thank you' is long overdue, and a bit lengthy, I'm afraid.

Last October, I flew from London (my home) to Louisville, via Atlanta (long story!), and decided to experience riding on the good old Greyhound Bus, I've heard so much about, to get to my sister's house a few miles from Lexington, Kentucky. On landing, I took a taxi from Louisville airport to the bus station down town, and arrived there around 7:00pm. Guess what? - Bus station closed, to be re-opened at 10:30pm! There's me: sitting in this taxi - extremely tired, lacking sleep, thirsty, fed-up, somewhat dishevelled, mobile phone battery dead; and an increasingly irritated (but gentlemanly and seemingly caring) taxi driver wondering out loud, " What do you want me to do next, madam?" I can take you to Lexington for about $600:00". (Meanwhile charges on the taxi meter edging up, alarmingly whilst we sit pondering.) "$600:00!" I agonised, silently. "Gosh, that's the price of a beautiful leather handbag, right there!" I wrestled with my thoughts. " Look, he reasoned, interrupting my thoughts, "I'll take you to a hotel; and you can stay there until about 10:00pm and then walk down to the bus station when it's opened, OK?" I'll take you to the Seelbach, he continued, it's near and they are nice people; I take many peoples there." Okay, I said meekly; whilst glancing at the meter; and then at the dark, totally deserted and somewhat intimidating area around the bus station.

A couple of minutes later we arrived at the entrance of this mightily impressive and imposing, architecturally masterful, luxurious Haven of Rest called the Seelbach. "Gosh, maybe I look somewhat 'well of' to this here Somalian gentleman of a taxi driver." "Surely this place must be for the likes of Madonna and other such rich celebs," I silently stuttered. Mr Somalian seemed slightly bemused by the 'what the dickens...' look on my face. Anyway, I thought, must pay this chap and let him get off, did not have enough cash, so first, I needed an automated cash point, then rest, and liquid. On entering the magnificent lobby, I was convinced that the staff would be snooty and unhelpful; after all, I would be asking to stay just for a couple of hours, and I looked tired and fed-up - enough to 'put off' people, as we say over here; and this place, WOW! How wrong I was!

The bell-boys(?) were charming, friendly and helpful in helping me to locate the cash-point in the exquisitely beautiful lobby and providing me with other information; the pretty young lady at the desk and her manager(?) were incredibly helpful in a number of ways: they looked up phone numbers for me (I had the wrong phone number for my sister), allowed me to use their phone at the desk to ring her, without charge; gave me a bottle of mineral water without charge, allowed me to use the guest computer to access some relevant information pertaining to my sister's address; encouraged me to sit, be comfortable and relax in their fine lobby - for as long as I needed to. They were ALL so caring, accommodating, and genuinely kind that I felt like crying with gratitude, I really did (...It could have been the dog-tiredness, also :)) Anyway, I decided against the greyhound experience and got my sister to send her hubby to collect me by car. Got to their house about 1:30am - safe, hydrated, and relaxed (...with no charges) THANKS to Mr Somalian (can't remember his name his name:( ), the taxi driver, for taking me to a wonderful and fantastic hotel, the Seelbach in Louisville - with the kindest of staff. THANK YOU PEOPLE; THANK YOU ALL. If I were to get married again, guess where the reception will be held...? :)

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank SandraBB645
Reviewed February 2, 2013

The location was nice. I chose the $9 upcharge for an upper room. I received a room next to the elevator facing the back of the hotel. My room was noisey and my view was the other side of the hotel and it's roof. When I complained to the desk at checkout, I was told they wouls refund the upcharge. This never appeared on my credit card. I was told valet parking was $26 but $30 showed up on my bill. Once again, was told the extra $4 would be refunded but it never happened. I will not stay there again.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Horrible food, McDonald's does a better job. It's like they didn't even try to prepare and serve the food. Especially the desert, it was absolutely terrible. The four stars that they are rated must have come from a THIRD world military surplus store.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank CaptainFax
Brandt F, Manager at Seelbach Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Dear CaptainFax,

Having read your review of our food and beverage service and the dissappointing experience we provided, I would greatly appreciate any further information as to the restaurant you ate in and the meal you had. Our Food and Beverage operation includes the 5 Diamond Oakroom for dinner and Sunday Brunch, as well as our more casual Otto's Cafe for breakfast and lunch and the Old Seelbach Bar for casual dining, We strive to provide only the finest and freshest foods with outstanding service, and to read your review is very dissappointing.

I offer my apologies and am happy to discuss your experience at your convenience.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

Was in town for a sporting event. Had previously stayed at Galt House so wanted to try something else. The Seelbach is beautiful architecturally, but unless you are hosting a wedding or gala, it falls short for the average traveller. There is no casual dining, not much of a gift shop for sundries or snacks, and room service is outrageously expensive (and I really object to a 21% gratuity on top of a delivery fee for a meal delivered late). The hotel is adjacent to the Fourth Street venue, and walking distance to the convention center and the Yum Center, which is convenient. But the a plenty of choices in the area, so if in Louisville again I'll try something else.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Dear Hammbrook,

Thanks so much for your review of the Seelbach and comments regarding its architectural beauty. It does indeed have a unique place in Lousiville's history yet, our goal is to achieve a balance within this grand 1905 structure, respecting the hotel's character while creating a comfortable, welcoming environment that does offer the "modern conveniences" today's travelers expect. With regards to a casual dining option, Otto's Cafe located just off the lobby serves a daily breakfast buffet as well a full menu for breakfast and lunch. Also, the Old Seelbach Bar is available for late lunch and dinner. Both options are in a casual relaxed setting.
Hopefully you will have another opportunity to attend one of the many Yum Center events and give us another opportunity to serve your hotel needs as you enjoy downtown Louisville and all it has to offer.
Thank you again for your review and your support.