“Historic lobby, helpful staff, run down rooms”
Review of Seelbach Hilton

Seelbach Hilton
Ranked #18 of 98 Hotels in Louisville
Reviewed November 13, 2012

There is a lot or promise in this historic hotel. The lobby and bar are very elegant and worth visiting. All the staff were extremely helpful and friendly; perhaps the best I've run into this year. My room, though large, was somewhat run down (nicks in the door, cheap furniture, old wallpaper), although the amenities were up to date. The bathroom was the smallest I've run into in years with no place to put anything; most toiletries have to be kept in the main room.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed here during a convention, but we've been on special occasions, too. The staff is trained well to be very accommodating, from bellman to waitstaff to maids & janitors to concierge. Everyone polite, friendly & gracious--like it was their own home. Beautiful decor, delicious food in the Oakroom & unique Kentucky gifts in the gift shop. Location right at Fourth Street Live--- lots of food, bars, music, & galleries.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed at the Seelbach Hotel again and as always we were amazed. Greeted by the Valet and escorted to the front desk. Check in was prompt. Room was clean. The hotel was built in 1905 avoid getting a room near the elevator. The lounge is ideal for a late night cocktail. Room service was prompt and very tasty..

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near the elevator..See the Rathskeller Room. lower level
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Our family had a wonderful reunion weekend at the Seelbach and survived a big concert weekend in Louisville with no problem at all. We found the staff to be extremely helpful and were especially impressed with the 19th century bar and lovely lobby. As is often the case in old hotels like this, our 10 rooms varied in size and decor, making this all the more charming. Big thank you to the bar staff for their excellent service and attention!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I am a Silver Hilton Honors member. I stay at Hilton properties about 30-40 nights a year. I split between Marriott and Hilton locations. When I checked in on Oct. 23rd at the Seelbach for my stay during the Green Industry Expo I asked to have access to the Concierge floor and complementary internet in my room and was told by the front desk clerk that I was only Silver status so I could not have the benefits. Last year when I stayed here for the Green Industry Expo, the front desk staff and manager gave me these upgrades. Then I talked to the Front Desk Director, Brandt Ford, and he told me my presence at the concierge lounge would inconvenience the members in the lounge because it would make it too crowded. Secondly, he told me I could not have complimentary internet access because the "hotel has to make money". How insulting. He was totally not customer focused, and not even willing to listen or make any concessions. Why is this guy a manager? This kind of treatment will have me never returning to this property, in addition to any of my staff. I will give Marriott chains more of my business in the future. I know this person is not representative of all Hilton managers, but he completely disregarded my loyalty to all of the Hilton stays in the past. I will send this letter to Hilton.

Room Tip: Small rooms, stay at the Hyatt down on 4th St. or Marriott
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank JayG1027
Reviewed October 21, 2012

This hotel is definitely worth the money. Our corner room was spacious, quiet, and just about perfect. I could have slept all day in the comfy bed, and my husband and I just loved the feel of the place. The lobby is spectacular, and the amount of care taken with the restoration is obvious. The marble in front of the elevators, the old-style mail drop ---- this has the classy, old-time feel of a luxurious hotel, without sacrificing any modern comforts.

Room Tip: We had a corner room on the 7th floor, which was spacious and very quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Stayed at the Seelbach for a weekend getaway and enjoyed the old-world charm that only a historic property can provide. Check-in was effortless, the desk staff was pleasant and friendly. My queen suite was clean and nicely appointed, albeit very small (which was expected in a hotel of this age!) I would definately recommend the Seelbach to anyone visiting Louisville or looking for a weekend in the city. The property is situated in the heart of Louisville's reborn downtown and within walking distance of nearly all attractions (i.e. 4th Street Live, KFC-YUM Center, Louisville Slugger Museum, The Kentucky Center for the Arts, ect).

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple