“Elegant historic hotel”

Ranked #18 of 95 Hotels in Louisville
South Carrollton, Ky
“Elegant historic hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed here during a convention, but we've been on special occasions, too. The staff is trained well to be very accommodating, from bellman to waitstaff to maids & janitors to concierge. Everyone polite, friendly & gracious--like it was their own home. Beautiful decor, delicious food in the Oakroom & unique Kentucky gifts in the gift shop. Location right at Fourth Street Live--- lots of food, bars, music, & galleries.

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed at the Seelbach Hotel again and as always we were amazed. Greeted by the Valet and escorted to the front desk. Check in was prompt. Room was clean. The hotel was built in 1905 avoid getting a room near the elevator. The lounge is ideal for a late night cocktail. Room service was prompt and very tasty..

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near the elevator..See the Rathskeller Room. lower level
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Saint Simons Island Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

Our family had a wonderful reunion weekend at the Seelbach and survived a big concert weekend in Louisville with no problem at all. We found the staff to be extremely helpful and were especially impressed with the 19th century bar and lovely lobby. As is often the case in old hotels like this, our 10 rooms varied in size and decor, making this all the more charming. Big thank you to the bar staff for their excellent service and attention!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

I am a Silver Hilton Honors member. I stay at Hilton properties about 30-40 nights a year. I split between Marriott and Hilton locations. When I checked in on Oct. 23rd at the Seelbach for my stay during the Green Industry Expo I asked to have access to the Concierge floor and complementary internet in my room and was told by the front desk clerk that I was only Silver status so I could not have the benefits. Last year when I stayed here for the Green Industry Expo, the front desk staff and manager gave me these upgrades. Then I talked to the Front Desk Director, Brandt Ford, and he told me my presence at the concierge lounge would inconvenience the members in the lounge because it would make it too crowded. Secondly, he told me I could not have complimentary internet access because the "hotel has to make money". How insulting. He was totally not customer focused, and not even willing to listen or make any concessions. Why is this guy a manager? This kind of treatment will have me never returning to this property, in addition to any of my staff. I will give Marriott chains more of my business in the future. I know this person is not representative of all Hilton managers, but he completely disregarded my loyalty to all of the Hilton stays in the past. I will send this letter to Hilton.

Room Tip: Small rooms, stay at the Hyatt down on 4th St. or Marriott
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank JayG1027
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

This hotel is definitely worth the money. Our corner room was spacious, quiet, and just about perfect. I could have slept all day in the comfy bed, and my husband and I just loved the feel of the place. The lobby is spectacular, and the amount of care taken with the restoration is obvious. The marble in front of the elevators, the old-style mail drop ---- this has the classy, old-time feel of a luxurious hotel, without sacrificing any modern comforts.

Room Tip: We had a corner room on the 7th floor, which was spacious and very quiet.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

Stayed at the Seelbach for a weekend getaway and enjoyed the old-world charm that only a historic property can provide. Check-in was effortless, the desk staff was pleasant and friendly. My queen suite was clean and nicely appointed, albeit very small (which was expected in a hotel of this age!) I would definately recommend the Seelbach to anyone visiting Louisville or looking for a weekend in the city. The property is situated in the heart of Louisville's reborn downtown and within walking distance of nearly all attractions (i.e. 4th Street Live, KFC-YUM Center, Louisville Slugger Museum, The Kentucky Center for the Arts, ect).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

I barely recall staying at this hotel about 40 years ago, when I was not quite a teenager.
I recall that it was a bit stale and beginning to show it's age then.

The high ornate ceilings and plenty of woodwork are still there, but now
it truly is a beautiful old hotel, lovingly restored.
It was a bit difficult at first to get my bearings and find out how to get to the main entrance on 4th Street and drop off and valet parking.
I chose valet parking, but at $25/night is not cheap.

The location of the hotel is excellent for exploring downtown Louisville, although I admit that it might be disconcerting to some people to note that across the street from the hotel entrance appears to be a vacant 6-story department store building and several other vacant buildings in the next block or two.
Fortunately, right across the street, on the north end of the hotel, is the start of the 4th Street entertainment district. This is a glass-covered, pedestrian-only street with plenty of food, drink, and entertainment. There is a free trolley bus that can take you up the entire 4th Street entertainment district and you can catch the Main Street/Market Street trolley bus to take in the sites along the Ohio River and so you can get to the Convention Center and the Kentucky Arts Center very easily. It is not a long walk either.

The front desk staff were helpful and professional.
As a Hilton Honors Gold member, I was entitled to stay on a dedicated floor for Hilton Honor members. In addition, I received complementary wi-fi service, otherwise it would have been another annoying add-on charge. Also, I received a complementary breakfast and evening buffet and dessert on the 7th floor Concierge floor which requires you to use your room key to use the elevator to get off on this floor. This sure helped cut down on meal expenses!

The Rathskellar Room in the Basement is worth a trip downstairs to see. It has Rookwood tiles and vaulted ceilings.
It has a 24/7 fitness room and a fine bar.
Another nice touch is 24 hr room service.

The bathroom was modern and updated. No bathtub, but it had a nice glass-enclosed shower and enough room at the sink to keep personal items for several people.

The room had a safe in the closet (no charge!). Having a safe is very important to me especially when traveling with laptop computers and electronic gadgets.
It boasted a very nice flat screen TV set, desk, and side chair.
It would have been nice to have had a small refrigerator and/or microwave oven, though.

Environmental controls were adequate and the room was kept a comfortable temperature. The bedding and mattress contributed to a good night's sleep.

Disappointments included the fact that I had to go downstairs to the Front Desk five times the first night because my set of two keys would work intermittently or not at all, so I was constantly locked out of my room. The Front Desk person did leave his post to come up to the 6th floor, to try to determine the problem and fix it. Eventually, a maintenance person came up and thought the locking mechanism on the door was quirky, but could not understand why it would sometimes accept the magnetic card and other times would not. I had to give up two of the keys because of some type of breakdown in the machine that is supposed to program the keys.

Other annoying items: The floor was covered by a carpet but was uneven and loud creaking on an area I could not avoid while getting out of bed and going to the bathroom.
For such an old and solidly-built building, I was surprised at how easily noises from adjacent rooms seemed to percolate into my room.

The view from interior oriented rooms is not at all scenic; you get to look at other brick walls and the windows of similarly-aligned rooms along an inner courtyard, but several stories up from the ground.

I would stay here again and I do intend to return to see more of Louisville. There was surprisingly much to see and do in this mid-sized Southern border town.
It did help that I am a Hilton Honors Gold Member and so, for non-members, I think that it would be a bit more expensive and if you are cost-conscious, you might be tempted to look elsewhere for lodgings more modestly priced and with more amenities included.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business