Seelbach Hilton
Ranked #18 of 99 Hotels in Louisville
Reviewed February 28, 2012

If you love historic buildings, you'll enjoy staying at the Seelbach. I'm a Hilton Garden Inn fan myself, so staying at an "old" hotel wasn't my first choice.

Throughout my 8-week business stay at the Seelbach, I easily warmed up to the historic character of the property and was very impressed with the employees at the front desk. They are accommodating, friendly and incredibly courteous...Even when I made silly requests for a room with "more counter space," they gladly hunted one down for me.

The bell stand guys are also top-notch. They are wonderful about offering suggestions for nearby entertainment or dining, and they are very fantastic at assisting guests like me who tend to over-pack (and under-manage) my luggage! The complimentary airport shuttle is a fantastic service that made my weekly commutes in and out of Louisville much more bearable.

This hotel is located near downtown Louisville's "Fourth Street Live" entertainment district (Hard Rock Cafe, Improv, Maker's Mark restaurant, etc.), which makes it ideal for a night out...just a few steps down the block to get home safely!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,789)

Reviewed February 26, 2012

I stayed here Oct 25-26, 2011 for business. This is a hotel rich with architecture elegance. Can be very romantic with the right person. This is an older city building that continued to awe me whenever I sat down & looked around as well as up. Very inspiring.

The regular hotel room was very clean but small which is characteristic of an older city building. It had a tiny closet with in room electronic safe... Big enough to hold my laptop. Bathroom nice, clean but again small (really, how much time do u spend in there, right?). Just so happened my TV wouldn't receive the audio signal of any digital channels. The bed was super comfortable and aided a very restful sleep.

The bar was warm and comfortable with the dark wood. The bar staff were very classy and made you want to stay there forever... If only the tarb was free. :)

I unfortunately had 2 gripes for this hotel.
(1) the hotel didn't offer free Internet or wi-fi. For a business hotel & it's cost, you would've thought they could give you free Internet. Wasn't playing an add'l $12.95 per day if I remember it correctly. I had to access free wi-fi at a local restaurant.
(2) The hotel didn't have hot water the next morning. One cold shower coming right up! Hotel staff responded like it was a common thing. My boss complained and got his night comp'd so remember that if it happens to you.

This hotel is 1 block from a covered sectioned of street called Fourth Street Live. Plenty of restaurants and nice places for drinks. Great place to sit outside in warm weather. Only 3-4 blocks to convention center.

In the end, I'd stay here again. I just wish they'd offer free" wi-fi like the Holiday Inns (who's rooms are just as nice and cost less).

• Stayed: October 2011
jonmcfarland, General Manager at Seelbach Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2012

Thank you for taking time to post your thoughts on your stay. I am glad you appreciated our architectural elegance; it does make us very unique. You are right, the Seelbach is a great romantic getaway, but we also think we are set up well for the business travel guest.

While there is a charge for the convenience of internet in your guestroom, free WI-FI is available in our lobby, bar and restaurants. We also offer free internet at our business center, which has 3 computers overlooking our beautiful lobby.

I apologize if your TV was not working. I hope our engineering staff was given the chance to respond and take immediate action. We are proud of our 37" flat panel televisions and 18 HD channels and would want you to be able to enjoy them.

I am also concerned about your hot water issue. We added brand new hot water heating units that are the newest technology which produce hot water well above our needs. While hot water was a challenge a few years ago before this installation, we don't have supply issues today. So if we have a circulation challenge in a riser or guest room, we want to attack that as well.

Please share with us when your stay is anything short of exceptional. Our guest service team takes great pride in exceeding your expectations and would want to know when we have not achieved our goal.

At your service,

Reviewed February 19, 2012

My family of 4 stayed here Feb 18-19 for the Van Halen concert. I chose this hotel over others because of its historic value and also to accumulate Hilton Honors points. Valet parking was a breeze. The lobby was beautiful and the staff was quick and courteous upon check-in.

Our room was small: 2 double beds and a small bathroom (shower only, no tub). This was to be expected considering age of the building. I have been to the French Lick Resort and the rooms are very similar. The walls were also fairly thin. We could hear the elevator running all night, as well as people in the hall talking loudly (at 3 am!)

I paid extra for the breakfast buffet package. The food was good and the staff was friendly.

The walking distance to the Yum Center was convenient (only a few blocks North). This hotel is also right beside 4th Street Live. This looked like a fun place to hang out with live music and various eateries/bars, but we had our 9 and 12 year old children with us (no one under 21 allowed).

Overall, I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a convenient downtown location. I would like to return and stay during the Kentucky Derby.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms near the elevator. The 7th floor is has a concierge lounge.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 3, 2012

The Seelbach is a cool old hotel in the heart of downtown Louisville, very near the party district. The rooms a clean, but let's face it, it's an old hotel and you can only do so much. It reminds me of a smaller version of the Chicago Hilton. The rooms are a bit noisy. The Starbucks in the lobby is nice and the hotel staff is great. If you're into staying in historic, old hotels, or you're chasing Hilton points, then stay here. Otherwise, stay at the 21C Hotel. I will certainly return.

Room Tip: I had a very early flight and the valet guy was either sleeping, or not around. So, call the front d...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
jonmcfarland, General Manager at Seelbach Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2012

Thank you for the great comments about our staff. We take great pride in exceeding guest expectations. We are also proud of our Hilton benefits to include our Hhonors program, which is the best in the business. A tip to all travelers would be to make sure we get your number, or sign up if you have not had the chance yet. You quickly can benefit from being a member. We always suggest stopping by the 21C, as it is quite unique, but come back home to the Seelbach for the night.

At your service,

P.S.
Your tip to call ahead about valet parking is a great one, while I hope the delay in your case was he was away doing another task and not sleeping. We are thrilled that our beds create a great night sleep for our guests, but not a benefit and a place to find our team.

Reviewed January 27, 2012

While a mistake was initially made at check in the staff took the initiative to make it right. In the end, I probably over reacted but I don't like being embarrassed. But with that said, they made it right so water under the bridge. After that, great service, great hotel, and an excellent location. Will definitely stay there again. In fact this was my third stay to date.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed January 22, 2012

We have stayed at the Seelbach Hilton the last two years for the Breeders Cup races in early november. Friendly staff, nice rooms, good location

Location: directly downtown across the street from the 4th Avenue Live area which is the nightlife center of Louisville. Convenient to everything and there was a bus pickup for the Breeders cup right behind the hotel

Rooms:
Spacious and pretty nicely appointed. Bathrooms not huge but nice enough

Other: An exceptional sunday brunch spread. The bar in the lobby is a neat throwback. This hotel in general oozes historical charm and they've done a nice job of updating it while maintaining that feel.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
jonmcfarland, General Manager at Seelbach Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2012

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about the Seelbach. We certainly enjoy having guests from all over the world at the Breeder's Cup and take great pride in serving you. I suggest now coming for the Kentucky Derby, where the party is as important as the horse race. The Seelbach is the perfect location, in the heart of the city and just minutes from the Churchill Downs.

The Oakroom Brunch is one way our chef's showcase their culinary talents to create great food that you never realized you needed to have. Glad you enjoyed it as much as I do.

Come before the next Breeder's Cup, but I hope to see you then too,

Reviewed January 16, 2012

This hotel was clean and had a pleasant staff. The rooms were very comfortable. There is a great Rookwood Pottery collection in the basement consisting of a large amount of Rookwood wall tiles not containers as you would think. Being from Cincinnati we found this display very interesting and unusual. One of a kind I"m sure. A room selection tip: This is an older property that is well maintained-however in moderizing some rooms the shower door opening is only about 14 inches wide-probably a necessary evil because of space but if you are well endowed like my wife or potbellied like me you are going to have to turn sideways and pick up some parts to enter. If excessive, you may want to request a room without that narrow shower door before you go.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to share insights about the Seelbach.

The Rathskeller is one of a kind in the United States. We have had visitors from Germany tell us that it looks familiar, though. The German immigrants Louis and Otto Seelbach may have copied their favorite watering hole in Munich, as several guests see strong resemblances to one there. And you are correct that it is made from Rookwood Pottery, which was produced in Cincinnati.

The uniqueness of our property is what creates a lot of loyalty from travelers to Louisville. There are many room types, so please allow our service experts to ensure you get the perfect room for your needs. Thanks for sharing this tip.