“This Place Needs Help!”

Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Highlands
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Visited Le Gallo Rosso for the first time the other night with 2 friends. I've tried to go several times in the past, but they seem to want reservations even when they have plenty of open tables. They did take us with only 1/2 hour notice this time, however. Unfortunately, we should have stayed away! While our waiter was marvelous, the food was extremely poor, especially for the price. My eggplant parmesan was brought to me with charred black pieces of breading all over the plate! The cheese tasted like plastic and even the sauce was boring. One friend's chicken piccata was made with chicken breasts which tasted like frozen chicken from the supermarket-tough and flavorless. Complaints to the manager were met by severe "attitude." We were treated like homeless people trying to cheat them out of a free meal, while paying for several glasses of fairly priced wine. I will say that the friend who ordered only a salad liked it! We won't be back.

1  Thank Mashie57

Reviewed June 1, 2013

Let me preface this review by saying that I don't believe I have ever written a restaurant review this critical. Even though the food was pretty good, the smoky room, inattentive staff, and 3 hour wait made this a horrible evening. I was so upset that I wrote the restaurant a letter, but never got a response from them.

After one good prior experience with a quiet pleasant dinner at this restaurant, we decided to take some friends here for a relaxing small birthday celebration - a table of 5. We had a reservation, and were seated in the back room adjoining the kitchen.

We were greeted by a pleasant young woman who we could see was somewhat tentative, and admitted that after some training, this was her first night working as a waitress. We ordered some appetizers and a bottle of wine, and were served in a reasonable period of time. The food was tasty and appetizing.

A table of 4 was seated next to us while we were eating our appetizers, and was greeted by a more experienced appearing waiter who immediately informed the table of the specials for the evening.

When our waitress returned to get our orders for entrees, we had to ask to find out about the special offerings. Shortly after we ordered, we noticed that the smoke from the kitchen had become noticeably worse to the point that several of us had difficulty with breathing and watery eyes.

The table adjacent to us was served promptly, and they ate their food and left while we continued to wait for our entrees for well over another hour to 90 minutes. Our waitress came over rarely, and the diners at our table each got up at different times to get fresh air and to escape the oppressive smoke from the room. We appealed to the waitress to get our food or at least move us to a different table in a different room. She said there were no tables available, but the restaurant was not more than 60% full at that time. The more experienced staff and the woman at the cashier completely ignored our pleas to get our food for us or move our table.

We had no complaints about the food, but we were in the restaurant for at least 3 hours, begging for our food and relief from the smoke. When we finally got asked for our bill, we were relieved that we could finally get out of that place, but no...........the waitress disappeared for another 20 minutes. Why? Because the cashier explained that the check was hand written and hand calculated. When we tried to tell her how bad our experience we had, there was no one there to accept any responsibility.

Since their website does not accept any type of input, I took the time to mail them a 2 page letter documenting our experience, and I sent them a copy of our receipt. It has been 60 days, and there has been no response. If I had gone to a McDonalds, Olive Garden, or Macaroni Grill, there would have been someone to talk to about the experience.

Needless to say, we were embarrassed to take our friends to this place with terrible service, unbreathable air and uncaring attitude. I would never recommend this place to anyone.

2  Thank kyfeet
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I have been a few times, but other times I have been turned away b/c I didn't have reservations. When it is 5pm and you are looking at an empty restaurant who states they can not accomodate you b/c of reservations, it is a bit disappointing. It is not my go to place for that reason. Food is good.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

I have been several times, never disappoints. Love the old house with small rooms. Eggplant parm excellent! Good wine prices, just a good little restaurant.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

Made last minute reservations for four. The food was amazing. We were the last customers to leave and they never even hinted they would like us to hurry our conversation along. Very pleasant surprise. Reasonably priced. Dinner for four without alcohol $75. Ravioli the size of pancakes. Generous proportions. Pleasant presentation. Victorian house for intimate seating.