“Classic Grand Hotel with All the Right Amenities”
Review of The Brown Hotel

The Brown Hotel
Ranked #2 of 95 Hotels in Louisville
Los Angeles, California
“Classic Grand Hotel with All the Right Amenities”
Reviewed December 1, 2010

My husband and I had never been to Louisville and were looking to spend 2 days and 1 night in the city. We chose The Brown because of location and because it seemed to be a classic old hotel with local charm rather than another cookie cutter hotel that one could find anywhere. We were not disappointed. The place has character.

It is within walking distance of all the major attractions and a short drive for those who do not want to walk. The room was clean and well kept. The sheets were fresh and the pillows comfy. The staff was very friendly and helpful to us out-of-towners, providing directions and recommending places based on what we wanted.

We had lunch at the on-site restaurant. The manager personally stopped by to ensure everything was o.k. My husband and I live in Los Angeles and eat at a lot of great places and were not expecting to find such a good lunch in Louisville. He really, really enjoyed his cheeseburger and fries as I did my Hot Brown. A lot of great hotels throw burgers on the menu because they have to but don't do the job well. Not The Brown. It was on par with what one could get at a good restaurant in L.A. The only quibble - and it is minor- was that the menu at the two restaurants was similar. We'd like to see a few more dishes on the evening restaurant menu.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
Lakeland, FL
Reviewed November 28, 2010

The hotel is absolutely beautiful!!!

We planned a Thanksgiving visit with family in Louisville and found this to be the perfect opportunity to stay at The Brown. We really enjoyed our visit. From making our reservations, to checking out after our stay, everything was perfect. The staff was eager to assist and always did so in a caring and enthusiastic manner. We were fortunate to get a room on the 13th floor and enjoyed the pampering that came with the club floor. The Continental breakfast was perfect. The Concierge (Neal, I think) on duty was most helpful and was quite knowledgeable about the hotel and the surrounding area. I was quite surprised to find he had only worked for The Brown for 2-3 weeks. His recommendations for a short driving tour were much appreciated. St. James Court was a real treat.

We dined at J. Graham's Cafe and found both the service and the lunch to be perfect. It should be illegal to visit The Brown and not experience a "Hot Brown".

The Valet service was Johnny-on-the-Spot. Our car was always waiting, running, and the heater and wipers going, as it was cold and rainy during our visit.

Prior to checking out, we took the opportunity to walk around the common areas to see how the hotel had been renovated. The ballrooms and meeting rooms were beautiful. The building has kept its charm throughout the decades.

Kudos to the staff and management for making our stay a pleasant one. There is no question we will return and will recommend The Brown to friends and family.

Fred and Sherry Murphy
Lakeland, Fl

Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed November 23, 2010

We are just finishing a tour of nice historic hotels. This is one of the better ones. We enjoyed most everything. The employees were absolutely delightful. We were greeted with real Southern charm at the front door by a line of bellmen, who seemed so sweet to everyone. The restaurant serves this Hot Brown Sandwich, which we saw on ABC NEWS a few weeks ago. This is a wonderful meal, but contains a lot of calories, but great taste. The lobby is very pretty. The guest rooms are very spacious, clean and well kept. The housekeeping staff come to turn down the room at dinner time - she was a jewel. The front desk remembered our name a day after we checked in. The food was among the best we had on our trip, think it's an Italian Chef. Good location to downtown acitivities. We dined and slept well. Would recommend to anyone.

Chicago, IL
Reviewed November 19, 2010

Although the Borwn lobby has all the charm and eloquence of a four star hotel, the rooms leave much to be desired.

My wife and I checked into the Brown on a Saturday evening to celebrate our honeymoon -(we got it after putting in a $90 bid for a four star hotel on Priceline). After checking into our room, we could hear the people in the adjoining room with little effort -

Despite the Brown's promotion as a four star hotel, our experience didn't justify such a rating. Although the staff was friendly and professional, the rooms were much to be desired. The rooms lacked an auxiliary jack on the radio/alarm clock for an mp3 player, there were no bath robes, and the furniture/design of the rooms were very dated.

I should point out that after checking into to our first room, we requested to move to a different room because of the noise coming from the guests in the adjoining room was too much. I don't think the people in the next room were overly loud or rude, rather the walls were just very, very thin...we could hear every word and syllable of their conversation. The staff at the font desk were very sympathetic to our concern and were more than happy to place us in a new room - one on the sixth floor, commonly used for airline pilots and stewardesses.

Both rooms we were assigned were very dated and showed their age. The first room had an old-school television set, while the second room did have a flat-screen t.v. In both rooms, the wallpaper was peeling in places along with the carpet. In our second room, the bathroom shower curtain was ripping off the shower curtain rings, the plastic on the shower curtain rod was peeling, and the shower head appeared pretty cheap. However, the bathroom vanity was very nice and the overall bathroom was very spacious - almost as big as the bedroom.

I hope I don't sound too negative about the Brown, because we did have a nice time there. Again, the lobby was wonderful, the staff was fabulous, the beds were very comfortable, there was free wi-fi (though poor strength), the fitness room was very good, and the hotel even provided us free transportation to a downtown restaurant in their shuttle van. However, it just wasn't four star calliber - something we were hoping for to make our honeymoon a little more special. But it was worth the $90 we paid through Priceline.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at The Brown Hotel, responded to this review, November 24, 2010
Thank you for bringing to our attention the areas where we have failed to exceed your expectations. We strive to correct all our problems as quickly as possible, but feedback from our guests is very important to knowing whether we have done so. I would like to make you aware that we have begun renovating our guestrooms. We are a month away from installing new flat screen televisions in all of our guest rooms. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you personally, and hope that you would call.

Brad Walker
Vice President & General Manager
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed November 17, 2010

I received a good price for this hotel on Priceline. However, I quickly discovered the the location and service canceled out the good deal. As has been stated by others, the location is quite unsafe. It is several blocks from 4th Street Live entertainment district and those few blocks make a big difference. It definitely isn't recommended to stay there if you have to do any walking around, especially at night.

The service I received wasn't any where near what many other raved about. Maybe all of those employees were off the days during my stay. I would speculate why I received such poor service, but then TripAdvisor would probably not publish my review.

At ny rate, choose one of the other hotels closer downtown.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
kalmazoo, mi
Reviewed November 12, 2010

I stayed at the brown hotel because of price I received on priceline. That's where my good experience ended with this hotel. As others have stated, the neighborhood is very unsafe, especially for solo female travelers. I also found that they were very unfriendly to me as a black guest. I didn't experience any of the superb customer service others talked about. There were no hellos, good morning or offers to assist me. Shame on the brown hotel and it's staff! I would not stay here again nor tell anyone else to stay here because of poor, unfriendly treatment of black guests.

• Stayed November 2010
3 Thank traveljunkie2006
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at The Brown Hotel. We are very disappointed to learn that you feel you we did not meet your expectations. It is our utmost desire to exceed each guest’s expectations and to learn that we did not do so during your stay is a matter of great concern to our staff. We want to state that without fail, our employees take pride in not only extending the basic courtesies, but to go above and beyond in our service to our guests. Would you kindly contact me to discuss the issues you encountered. Again, we thank you for your feedback - it will help us improve our service.

Brad Walker
Vice President & General Manager
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed October 11, 2010

The rooms seem to be very clean and the employees are very nice but the rooms are dated. I had heard they had just been redone but the bathroom wallpaper looks like it had been patched over for several years and the bathtub had several different kinds of tile. This didn't affect my stay but if it was redone they didn't do a great job at it. There was a wedding going on the night we were there and you could hear everything going on in the hall ways. I called the front desk and they said they were taking care of it but an hour later there was still a lot of noise. If I had my infant with me she would have been awake it was so loud. We were on the executive floors so I can't imagine what the other floors were like.

Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple