2,306 results
All reviews lobby bar club level historic hotel piano player bell staff berry pie downtown louisville southern charm beautiful lobby corner room an older hotel room was large valet parking bourbon trail fourth street live churchill downs grahams
Reviewed May 9, 2010

My wife and I checked in and were greeted by a very professional crew at the front door, mostly European staff. They were very gracious and professional. We had several meals in the restaurant, where several of the staff were also European and very professional. The rooms are quite elegant with a lot of nice touches. We had a wonderful nights sleep in heavenly beds. The lobby is a beautiful place with a lovely decorated ceiling. We had a wonderful quiet getaway. The sights of downtown are just a few blocks away. It was a busy place, but the employees always took the time to answer all our questions and offer suggestions on things to do. The whole place has such a beautiful aura. Recommend highly. One of our better stays in a while.

Date of stay: April 2010
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank chris2479
Reviewed April 13, 2010

The staff at The Brown Hotel make your stay that much more enjoyable. I have never stayed at a hotel and become so acquainted with the staff. The food was delicious, and The Hot Brown..wow! I think I tried to get everyone that traveled with me to get one during our stay!

A quaint hotel that has it's own wonderful life inside it!

Date of stay: March 2010
Reviewed April 11, 2010

I stayed here through booking with Hotwire. I am someone who usually stays at hostels or cheap motels, but once in awhile I like to stay somewhere nice and historical and I found it here at The Brown Hotel. Because I was 24 when I went and alone, I think the workers and guests there found me a bit odd since it is more of an expensive hotel. I didn't really mind it though and liked being a mystery.Average age of guests here seemed to maybe be 60. My bedroom was nice and even though I had no view, it was pretty quiet. The business center was a great thing to have to because I was able to print my boarding pass. I liked the fact that they had an airport shuttle too. Typically when I stay at a hotel I will only go to ones with an airport shuttle because I am too exhausted to drive after a flight. The hotel bar was so nice. Wish I experienced getting a drink there and a Hot Brown but didn't.

Cons of the hotel? It would have been nice if you didn't have to pay for parking, but it seems all the really nice Louisville hotels have you paying for parking. Someone here once said that they didn't have to pay for parking I believe. Not true. I had to pay. The location is good, but I think the 21C and Seelbach are in better locations. You are around a 15 minute walk from the Seelbach. There are some restaurants and a cafe right next to the hotel, but I found it was mainly offices and business right next to it. I also thought the hotel breakfast buffet wasn't anything special and overprice.

If I came back to town I would like to try the Seelbach, but if the price at the Brown was much cheaper, I would happily stay here again.

Date of stay: October 2009
Reviewed April 6, 2010

We went to Louisville for pleasure - and staying at The Brown really added to our trip. It is a lovely, well-preserved older hotel that has maintained its grace and style. Beautiful lobby and public areas. Nice rooms - old fashion, very comfortable and large. We stayed on the Club Floor - very attentive staff, excellent breakfast and late afternoon hor's d'oeuvres. And, beer and wine were included. It was a real value for the money.

Date of stay: April 2010
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 28, 2010

In summary, it's a pretty and comfortable historic hotel with a very well-trained staff. Stay here if you can get a good deal, just don't expect the Ritz.

Everyone on staff is lovely -- exceedingly gracious and professional. (well, except for the front desk woman who repeatedly giggled hysterically when I called down to ask why the room phone would not dial out. Not sure what that was about, but at least she fixed it)
It's a pretty, "old money" lobby befitting an historic hotel in the South: heavy drapes, overstuffed couches, dark paneling, and a player piano is going 24/7 with a variety of tunes, from classical to ragtime. You get the picture.

Negative: guest room walls are *paper thin* ... I heard every word of my next door neighbor's multiple phone conversations, throat-clearing, water running, and his room service transaction.
On the positive side, my room was spotlessly clean, the king-size bed comfortable, and the bathroom spacious & modern and well stocked with basic amenities, and the bed and bath linens were high quality. I was put on a club floor (#12) and, best I could tell, the only difference was that I had to insert a card into the elevator slot to get to my floor. The complimentary club floor amenities (breakfast, etc) only applied to those on the 13th floor. ??? Free WiFi, although they still charge $1.50 for local calls (once you convince the hyena at the front desk to turn on the room phone) which seems petty. Parking in the adjacent garage is $18/night, and you can put it on your room bill.

Date of stay: March 2010