2,227 results
All reviewslobby barclub levelhistoric hotelpiano playerberry piebell staffdowntown louisvillesouthern charmbeautiful lobbycorner roomroom was largevalet parkingan older hotelbourbon trailfourth street livechurchill downshors
Reviewed March 2, 2010

My husband and I stayed here over night on our way home from seeing Mammoth Cave. The hotel is convenient to get to from 1-65, and it seems to be in a good central location for walking to restaurants, stores, etc. The service was also very good. Front desk personnel and room service staff were friendly and accommodating.

My only criticism is the price for the room. The hotel is a member of the Preferred Hotel and Resorts Group. I’ve stayed at a number of hotels that are a part of that group and have never been disappointed in service or accommodations. Unfortunately, my hotel room at The Brown didn’t live up to the Preferred Group standards. Everything was clean and in working order, but the furniture was severely scratched and chipped. The headboard above the bed was broken. The carpet was stained. Overall, the room looked very rundown. Not what I expected after seeing the lobby area, which was very inviting and well-kept.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lasemko
Reviewed February 19, 2010

The Brown Hotel has hosted a half dozen of my company's events in the last two years, as well as the wedding party the week of my wedding. The hotel is beautiful and the location is very convenient for our attendees with regards to the interstate, the airport, dining options, and opportunity for them to see Louisville. All of that aside - the staff is the biggest reason we continue to go to the Brown. Dependable, friendly, responsive - they are genuinely concerned with what we (or you) have going on, both professionally and personally - and work harder than any team I've met at providing a great experience for all visitors. And that includes everyone, from the first person you meet at the front door to the last person you see on your way out. The feedback we get from our attendees tells us they feel the same way. I expect the Brown to continue to host all of our events in the future.

Reviewed February 15, 2010

I stayed here for 4 nights on a business trip. The rooms have paper thin walls, I was about 6 doors from the elevator and I could hear them going up and down all night and all day...it sounded like an amusment park ride was nearby. The doors have large gaps under them and the furniture just don't match. The shower fixture is much older than the one at the sink. Bed is not very fluffy. This place is not charming. It feels tired and dated...the lobby is a little better taken care of, but in the end, even the furniture in there is showing wear. Also, the self playing piano is annoying. Bar is limited in drinks they can make. For the money, you are better off staying at the Hyatt Regency Downtown. The shuttle service is nice and the drivers are friendly, but sometimes we had to wait longer than expected.

1  Thank atlgeorgiapeach
Reviewed February 14, 2010

Our company books rooms here every year. I had not stayed here before and heard mixed reviews. First the good: the staff was always helpful and very polite. They are definitely committed to guests having a positive experience. Its location in downtown Louisville provides a great starting point to visit many sites and restaurants. It is a clean hotel.
Now to the bad: The first room I got was a corner room over looking a brick wall and a parking deck. The bed side lamps were the same shape/style but different colors, the smoke detector was yellowed like it had been in a smoking room for a decade. The second room I got was better, but not by much. I had a king bed which was about as comfortable as a bed you'd find at a Super 8. The overall decor of the rooms (I moved to a 3rd room in 5 days) is much like something I recall from my Grandfathers house. The bathroom had white, brass, polished nickel, pewter, and chrome. The shower head you could find for a nickel at any garage sale and unless you are 5'2" or less is at a useless height. When one tries to aim the showerhead up you spray the towels hanging on the other side of the shower. There are no other towel racks, yet ample wall space.
In my 3rd room, it had a handicapped bath. The temperature control for the shower had a temperature gauge which did not work and getting the water to a comfortable temperature was an exercise in patience and the shower head in this one must have been made in the 1940s. It was crusted over enough with calcium/lime deposits to back it up. The first night in the 3rd room, I thought I was hearing airplanes all night, but NO, it was the elevators. They sound like a freight train. Not to mention every time a door closes, or a phone rings, or an alarm goes off, or your neighbor talks you WILL hear it.
I travel extensively and if I hadn’t received the rate our company negotiated, I would have asked for my money back.
Stay with caution.

Reviewed January 10, 2010

What a great place! All mahogany, crystal, and brass. My room had poster beds, and marble topped table. The food was great. The whole place is outstanding!

Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business