“The Brown Hotel is home away from home--and even better”
Review of The Brown Hotel

The Brown Hotel
Ranked #3 of 102 Hotels in Louisville
Reviewed December 26, 2009

At the Brown Hotel, I was met with friendliness and efficiency. You get the feeling from the staff: bell captain, bell people, front desk staff, catering, sales, management: everyone, that they like to work there, that they are a family. The rooms are neat, clean, perfection. The beds comfortable--with an array of pillows for you to choose the one you like best. The buffet at J Graham's is top notch, an unbelievable value. And spring for the English Grill--it's worth it! I've traveled a lot, but the Brown is my favorite: luxury and no chain-hotel sameness. The Brown Hotel has a beautiful lobby that just screams "welcome home." Luscious comfy couches and chairs. I don't believe you can go wrong.

1  Thank theblueheron
Write a ReviewReviews (2,067)

Reviewed December 9, 2009

I was scheduled to arrive on a Thursday evening but got caught in the chaos of a connecting flight and could not arrive until Friday morning. I called the hotel around 8pm and they were so helpful. The receptionist said they would let me check in early Friday if a room was available. I did arrive around 9am on Friday and they allowed me to check in to my room right then. I was so glad because it let me freshen up before my meetings began for the day. The room was beautiful, the bath products were great, the bed was comfortable, the hotel is historic and has many unique features. I had a perfect breakfast each morning and it was well priced for a hotel dining room. Every single person I dealt with from the waitress to the bell man to the front desk receptionist was well informed, polite and very helpful. I liked it so much I am hoping I have another business trip there very soon! My conference was at a large high end chain hotel nearby and I decided to stay at the Brown instead. I am so glad I made that choice!

1  Thank CapitalMom
Reviewed December 9, 2009

I've stayed at the Brown a number of times for both leisure and business purposes and I'm always happy with it. This last stay may have been the best ever. Every single member of the staff I dealt with was excellent--friendly and professional. The beds are fluffy, there are six(!) pillows on the king-sized beds, and when I had a minor maintenance issue in my room, it was resolved right away. It's a wonderful home away from home.

The location is terrific, in the heart of downtown Louisville, with a lot of fun, casual local restaurants in the same block (and some chain restaurants a couple of blocks away). Easy walk to a whole spectrum of different entertainment options, from opera to nightclubs to art galleries.

The hotel's fine-dining restaurant, The English Grill, is one of the best in the city. They source at least some of the food locally, and the wine pairings are killer!

Often, on Saturday nights, you'll see wedding parties in the hotel, which is a lot of fun -- everyone all dressed up and giddy. All in all, the Brown is a charming, elegant place to be.

1  Thank KatyYocom
Reviewed November 28, 2009

Have a drink in the beautiful, historic lobby, but don't stay here. The carpet is threadbare, the wallpaper is peeling, the linens are very old.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank silverbullet61
Reviewed November 25, 2009

This about the third time staying at the Brown (I believe) and it always is a good choice.

Elegant, historic hotel in the downtown area and within walking distance of some great bars and restaurants.

Had dinner at the Sports & Social Club and enjoyed many Sunday NFL games.

The rooms are very nice and I recommend an inside room which are quieter and away from most of the street noise.

A excellent choice.

Reviewed November 24, 2009

My husband and I just got married on October 24 at the Brown Hotel. We had the most exceptional woman we called our "head hancho" taking care of everything. She took care of everything from booking us all the way to becoming our new life-long friend. Her name is Jeri Stewart and she is fabulous. The ceremony room was perfect and the reception hall was gorgeous. Overall my husband and I sum up the entire evening as perfectly unforgetable. Our hotel room was very clean and had a warm sense of welcome written all over it. Everyone we came in contact with was curteous and always willing to help. Although it might take a while to check in/out it is more than worth it. I just want to say thank you again for a wonderful night we will NEVER forget!

• Stayed: October 2009
1  Thank GerberDaisyKY
Reviewed November 23, 2009

We stayed at this hotel and it was very nice. Our room was a little bit small but the atmosphere was very nice. The closed and latched bathroom door kept opening during the night and another party in our group kept seeing their bathroom door knob handle turn by itself.

I recommend this hotel even if it could give someone the heebie jeebies. If there was a ghost they didn't bother anyone.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family