“Classic Elegance”
Review of The Brown Hotel

The Brown Hotel
Ranked #3 of 98 Hotels in Louisville
Reviewed October 21, 2013

This place knows quality and how to how to deliver elegance on a broad scale. We stayed one night in a deluxe club king room. It was a nice room with a lot of space. The room was spotless and the bed was comfortable.

The Brown's website is a very accurate portrayal of the hotel. They go for an upscale experience here and it is all brought together by top notch service. The front desk was very busy at check in and check out. The same was true with the valet service. The staff was polite, courteous, and acted as if this was business as usual.

My girlfriend and I ate at the English Grill (the hotel's premiere restaurant). It was a fulfilling experience. The wait staff and maître de were very attentive and made you feel as if you were the only one's dining there. We even got to meet the executive chef, which was a cool experience.

To sum up the elegance of the restaurant, my girlfriend commented that she felt as if she and I were dining on the Titanic.

We would definitely stay here and dine here again. It is not just a place to stay, but a destination.

Room Tip: The club level rooms are a great choice!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 17, 2013

Awesome old hotel! Staff was very helpful throughout entire stay! Great service all the way around! Free USA Today everyday!
Parking was a little crazy one night due to concerts at The Brown and The Palace.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 16, 2013

The Brown is a lovely property with amazing architecture and old world charm. The staff are extremely courteous and strive to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. My travel companion and I were in town for a conference and decided to stay at The Brown for the duration. Check in was seamless although if using a GPS, be advised that the parking building for guests is on 4th street directly past the hotel. This wasn't a problem as we had read reviews online and other guests had mentioned it. Our room was on the 4th floor which made the city and road noises more noticeable, but the room itself was very nice. As some other travelers have noted, the walls are quite thin - most likely due to the age of the building. This wasn't a problem for us as we didn't have neighbors until the last night, but I can see how it would be an issue if you had neighbors for the entire length of your stay or if your neighbors were particularly vocal or rambunctious. Overall, I would recommend The Brown and would stay here again.

Room Tip: Higher floors would have less road & city noise.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Great historic hotel. Recently stayed here while visiting in Louisville. We booked our room through hotwire and got a really nice rate. I also sent them a message for an upgrade and it was granted. Rooms are very nice and spacious and clean. Staff was very accommodating through out our stay. Free internet service which is really nice to have too. Close to great restaurants and shops. Will stay again when in town.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Wonderful 4 day getaway to Louisville at this exceptional historic hotel. Gorgeous hotel and hotel room with attention to detail. Professional hotel service throughout the stay. Comfortable lobby bar was fun plus the cafe's Hot Brown was amazing. Bonus: The free trolley starts here and transports you around the downtown area.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2013

If you're staying here it is probably the best choice in Louisville if you are not trying to hoard hotel points. The property itself is great - remodeled in the past 5 years or so, but still has the historic charm from the 20's. The staff is over the top accommodating and ensure you have a great stay. The rooms (I had a standard) are large enough and have giant closets and nice bathrooms.
I ordered a Hot Brown from room service and am sad to say it wasn't the best I have had. Actually was far from the best, but it is where it was created so who am I to judge?

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 13, 2013

My fiancé and I stayed at this hotel for our anniversary. At first look it appears to be an upscale hotel but there were so many things wrong I would have rather stayed at a Super 8. The bed was so uncomfortable I couldn't even sleep. The view was of a dirty roof. When we stay at a hotel we love to get breakfast in bed. We ordered our room service and the food was so disgusting we couldn't even eat and they over charged us. To top off the worst experience ever, my fiancé left his wallet in the room. When we called we were told it wasn't in there. The guy who stayed in the a week later found it and facebooked him that he left it at the front counter for him. When we called to ask again they said no one had turned it in. A couple weeks later we got a letter from the post office that he had a package that was cod. It was his wallet that they had just dropped in a mail box. So not only did they lie to us, they compromised his personal info. So we over paid for horrible food, paid for overnight parking, and had to pay to get his wallet back. I never write reviews, but this hotel is the worst I've ever stepped into!

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple