“Updated Elegance”
Review of The Brown Hotel

The Brown Hotel
Ranked #3 of 97 Hotels in Louisville
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I have stayed at the Brown hotel twice. The rooms I've had have been spacious. The bathroom in this past stay on the club level had been updated. The club level was great with its generous offerings of food and beverages for happy hour and breakfast.

Room Tip: Try to get upgraded to the club level.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for The Brown Hotel

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Saying that his hotel is amazing is an understatement. The front desk staff was amazing. They gave me a brief lesson and fantastic suggestion of what to see within the hotel. They were very helpful. Every single employee I ran into went above and beyond normal first class standards. I will be returning again and again.

Room Tip: Every room is good. Every room has a plus. Once you walk into the lobby and interact with a few staf...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Very elegant hotel of the first order from yesteryear; plenty of the modern amenities. My wife and I spent a week in Louisville at the Brown and enjoyed every minute in the room and in the city. The hotel is near to restaurants, shopping and banking which was convenient for us. Again the microwave was missing in the room; we could have saved some monies had there been one. We liked Louisville and the Brown Hotel, and would definitely return, and recommend.

Room Tip: Had a good view of shopping and restaurant area. I also recall a hospital nearby.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We visited Louisville for the St. James Art Show the Brown Hotel in October 2013, and we stayed at the Brown Hotel because the TARC/PARC bus line left from the hotel's parking garage and went directly to the show all day. Our stay was wonderful. The rooms are larger than I expected and significantly larger than other fine hotels of that vintage. I learned that the hotel remodeled years ago and knocked out every other wall to increase bedroom size. The sacrifice was well worth it. Beds are very comfortable. Rooms are clear and at the right temperature. Furnishings are beautiful and appropriate. Baths are first-class and roomy.

The staff was excellent. The front desk made check-in easy. Room service was efficient and brought our tasty 12' vegetarian pizza, which was large enough for my wife and me to share. Our first evening, we had a quick bite at the charming Lobby Bar, where a guest treated us to an impromptu song at the request of the piano player. And you must try the Hot Brown open-faced turkey sandwich in the hotel where it originated. Delicious and hot!

And that's my summary of this hotel -- one hot hotel. I highly recommend it, and we'll be coming back.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Our repeat visit to the Brown, one of the Historic Hotels of America, actually exceeded our already high expectations. The Brown maintained its first-class tradition and insures that we will continue to be repeat guests at this very special hotel.

The Brown has become our hotel of choice in Louisville. It contains one of the great hotel lobbies in America, one of the top restaurants in the city, and it provides very comfortable rooms and guest services. Parking and check-in convenience is a great asset as well. Everyone we encountered, from the front desk, to restaurant/bar servers, to bellmen, and to the helpful lady in the gift shop, were friendly, helpful, and professional.

On this visit, the Brown staff outdid themselves in two areas in particular. First, they helped facilitate a complicated reservation, and, second, the staff were very helpful and patient in getting us into a room that could accommodate our last-minute requirement for handicap accessibility. After patiently showing us five rooms, we found a room that would work for us.

One of the great attractions of the Brown is the very impressive lobby. One can spend minutes—even hours—just enjoying the ambiance. Enjoyment can even be improved with a nice mixed drink and a snack. Moreover, one of Louisville’s best restaurants (some would argue the best), the English Grill is just off the lobby. (On this visit we regrettably had to forego dining at the English Grill). Within the lobby is located the Lobby Bar, a good spot for drinks and light meals. (I have reviewed the Lobby Bar experience separately). One floor below is J. Graham’s Café, which serves breakfast and lunch. (Also reviewed separately).

The Brown’s location works well for us. It is easily reached from both I-65 and I-64, it has a parking garage immediately adjacent to the front entrance. The hotel is very close to the Brown Theater (part of the same building) and to the historic Palace Theater. Moreover, it is in walking distance to one of my favorite “to go” restaurants in America—Ollie’s Trolley. (Reviewed separately).

Two slight negatives exist relative to the hotel’s physical location. The Brown is on the opposite end of 4th Street from the Arts District. It is walkable in good weather, but most guests will need to use a “trolley” or taxi to get to the Main Street and riverfront areas. Also, guests may find themselves a bit uncomfortable in making the walk along the first few blocks of 4th. The area has gotten a bit seedy (but, showing improvement) in recent years. Be prepared to encounter a few pan-handlers on your trek.

Like most high quality lodging, the Brown is not inexpensive, but, I think it does provide value for the cost. I am entirely satisfied with the benefits of staying at the Brown relative to the cost of the stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2013

This hotel was outstanding! The location was perfect and the conference rooms were amazing! I came in town for a conference and the staff went above and beyond for us. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone!

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 3, 2013

We recently stayed one night at the Brown, our 3rd visit to this exceptional hotel. The front desk staff were incredibly helpful and welcoming (we didn't have a reservation and they were able to match the Expedia rate).

We stayed in a king suite, which is slightly larger than the queen suites we'd had previously. The bed was the most comfortable we experienced on our trip (which included 6 other hotels) and the room was very quiet - we could have stayed for weeks.

We had a very late dinner at the lobby bar - as always, the bartender was a knowledgable and gracious host, and helped answer many questions about the area and bourbon. We had the hot brown, which I'd never tried before despite growing up in KY - it was sensational. I'll have it again the next time we're there. I also tried the Bisontini, but as with previous visits, the balance was off (too much bourbon and not enough cream liquor). I'll have to remember to ask for a variation the next time, as there's no doubt we'll be staying here again. It's a gorgeous hotel, full of the grace and elegance of another era, just sitting in the lobby is a relaxing escape for travellers.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple