“Beautiful Architecture - Such Lovely Staff”
Review of The Brown Hotel

The Brown Hotel
Ranked #3 of 99 Hotels in Louisville
Reviewed September 15, 2013

From the first person we encountered to the last - EVERY one was top notch. Professional yet very sweet. First the valet (who acted as bellman too delivering our luggage) to the front desk (Thanks to Andrew especially) to the concierge up in the Club lounge to everyone in the English Room - Just Wonderful. My son is a very involved autistic young dude and doesn't do well waiting for the check-in process especially in such a huge space as the Brown's soaring, beautiful and historic lobby so they hurried us through that process. Then after we'd been in the room 15 minutes or so, they called to again welcome us and tell us some of the features and amenities of the hotel. We were upgraded to the Club for several reasons: We are members of Historic Hotels and Preferred Hotels Loyalty Programs and also there was a substantial hike in the rate when we had to change dates. And the Club is as nice as almost any we've stayed in and that's quite a few. The complimentary breakfast was probably the best we've seen and the concierge/ hostess was so charming and helpful. My problem however ( and thus the reason for the 4 stars instead of 5) comes because of a few cleanliness issues that were no small thing. First the carpet in our room was totally discolored - had some kind of stain ALL across the front of the room in front of the (HUGE) walk-in closet basically from the front door towards the bath. The carpet just looked ancient and creepy. The huge closet was nice but did NOT have a light and was impossible to find anything in your suitcase and given the condition of the carpet, really gave me the creeps to even walk in there. In the morning I carried the suitcase out and laid it on the bed just to be able to see. Then there were a few smudge marks on door which really creeped me out but when we walked just a few doors down to the Ice Room, the smudges on that door were ATROCIOUS. I had to sort of prop the door open with my foot while filling the ice bucket so as not to touch the door. Come on, guys. Really? Then, believe it or not when walking around the lobby we came up to the ballroom which looked lovely but you wouldn't believe the black smudge marks/fingerprints all over the grand doors going in. Much worse than even on the Ice Room. Grand white doors with beveled glass looking into a grand ballroom but HUGE black all around the handle area. Gross. If I was hosting an event- I'd have been so disgusted. I mean what is it specifically with dirty doors in this grand hotel. Maybe they need hire a person just to look after filthy doors. I almost gave 3 stars but went ahead with 4 because of the quality of the people at this hotel. And also the fact that the cleanliness problems from what I saw were centered around the carpet and the infamous dirty door issues. The bathroom was spotless as was the furniture and bedding. The bed was very comfortable and we got a good nights sleep. I did hear what sounded like a bowling alley coming from above just after waking the next morning but we needed to get up anyway, but if we'd heard that any earlier in our stay I would NOT have been a happy girl. Oh, and when we first got to our room at almost 5 pm, a maid was still loudly vacuuming the hallway just down from our room. I've never seen that kind of disruption taking place at that time of day in a hotel. But, I still feel good about going with 4 stars instead of 3 because of the people. I just really hope the management takes my comments to heart.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to the Club AND ask for a room with newer carpet.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,026)

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Had an excellent experience at the Brown Hotel. The staff is truly amazing. We booked a room for a family wedding. When we arrived I realized I had forgot my belt to my suit. With only minutes before we had to leave I asked one of the concierges if he could help me out. He could tell I was in a pinch and cleaning blood off my collar from my fresh shave. Andrew asked if I was serious about needing a belt, motioned me to another location and gave me his belt for the evening! This went above and beyond any experience I have ever had in a hospitality setting. Will definitely return!!

Reviewed September 14, 2013

I had lunch in the Brown and had to walk around. It was so nice, so much history. I would be great if the walls could talk at this place. I did not stay, but did look around the place. I might stay her on another trip. You have to stop in if your in Louisville.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed three nights at The Brown Hotel on a sightseeing vacation around Louisville. The hotel is so elegant. It was close to several restaurants and had a top notch restaurant in the hotel as well. While there I tried The Hot Brown because I had read so much about it; oh my goodness, how delicious!! The staff was very friendly; beds were very comfortable; room was comfortably cool--couldn't have asked for more. I loved the décor of the lobby (like a step back in time!). There were several old menus that were framed in the lobby bar area which were so interesting to look at (1930's). The bartender was very friendly. Really liked this place and am really glad we got to experience staying here!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 10, 2013

The Brown Hotel is by far the best hotel I've ever been. Everything looks perfectly beautiful and the service is great. The room had a lot of space and the bed was kingsize large and comfortable. Last, but not least the room service was fantastic, the breakfast was complete and very delicious. Concluding: this hotel is excellent, it exceeds all expectations.

Room Tip: Go for a club room, you won't regret it.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for my birthday, and I had a wonderful time !! It is an old hollywood style hotel with grand entrance !! Theatre close by, walking distance to down town Louisville , close to many Restaurants, BUT you don't have to leave the hotel for dinner because they own one of the best Restauants located in the lobby and well known in the state for their delicious, mouth watering food !! Service is superb and I recommend it for memorable wedding location !!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Beautiful, elegant and great service hotel. We booked on hotels.com and usually get stuck in one of worst rooms due to 3rd party booking, but they put us in a nice 2 queen corner room. Furniture is gorgeous and historic. Only part that left a bad thought was that booking on hotels.com was $40/night cheaper. I usually check 3rd party booking and then book through direct site, they would not honor the lower rate, so we went through outside site.
Overall it was a treat to stay at a luxurious hotel instead of a basic chain in the middle of an industrial park. If you are looking for a classy stay in Louisville, this is it!

1  Thank KMgrum