“Wonderful Winter Wedding Party”
Review of The Brown Hotel

The Brown Hotel
Ranked #3 of 97 Hotels in Louisville
Louisville, Kentucky
“Wonderful Winter Wedding Party”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We live in Louisville, KY and are very familiar with The Brown Hotel. We have had delicious meals in J. Graham's Café and The English Grill. We have attended many enjoyable parties and wedding celebrations in the spectacular Crystal Ballroom. But, it wasn't until we hosted a wedding celebration in the ballroom for our daughter and her new husband, that we came to the full appreciation of this Louisville Jewel! The Wedding Coordinator was extremely helpful, very focused on details and quite professional. The chef graciously accommodated some special diet requests, but more importantly, our guests loved the food! There were lots of favorable comments about the efficient and friendly staff. Many of our guests stayed in the hotel and all had a wonderful experience. Elegant. Delicious. Accommodating. Wonderful!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (448)
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Stayed one night at The Brown Hotel in downtown Louisville. A wonderful-quaint historic property, as the hotel is true to its 1920's roots. The rooms are nicely appointed, the staff is friendly and helpful... just a "nice feel" to the hotel - sit in the lobby or have a drink at the bar. Just minutes walking to 4th Street Live - Louisville's downtown entertainment area. Valet and self-park is easy in the adjacent parking garage. The place to stay in downtown Louisville!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank drummerhill
BradWalker-GM, General Manager at The Brown Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Guest,
Always nice to hear a guest refer to us as “the place to stay.” We look forward to your return. Please let me know if ever I may be of assistance.
Louisville
Reviewed December 27, 2012

In all my travels, I have never seen a more charming hotel. The lobby is breathtaking! The food great! I can't get enough of it and go back often. The staff greets every visit with "Welcome Home" and big smiles. For personal stays or business, the Brown Hotel meets every request with a smile and a "can-do" attitude. The beds with their many pillows are comfy. Everything is crisp and clean. I love the family feel you get from the staff. They are friendly and all of them seem to love their job; each one acts as if you were the most important person there. Within easy walking distance to a dozen or more restaurants (and downtown not much farther), the Brown is located in a great place with plenty to offer nearby. I stayed on the concierge level and the continental breakfast and early evening hors d'oeuvres were great. The service is impeccable. I felt really pampered. I highly recommend the Brown.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank theblueheron
Tipp City, Ohio
Reviewed December 23, 2012

This place is just beautiful. Everyone was very friendly and professional. The atmosphere was breathtaking and that food was delicious. We stayed on the club level (which was well worth it!) and truly enjoyed the continental breakfast and the evening hors d'oeuvres. The continental breakfast included many delicious pastries, bagels, meats & cheese, and delicious sausage gravy. The hors d'oeuvres included pita bread chips with different dips, mixed cocktail olives, meats & cheese, small baguettes with different spreads, shitake mushroom & caviar, and mini egg rolls. There were a selection of wine and beers also. Our room was spotless and decorated in theme with the hotel. We arrived after 8p.m. in the evening and were wanting to have dinner at the English Grille. After we got settled in our room we arrived at the English Grille and they were expecting us! The check-in associate had called ahead for us. My dinner was delicious. For the appetizer we had the seared scallop which was very good. We ordered the duck confit, frisee lettuce for our salad and it was incredible! For dinner I had the roasted pork chop which was very good but my fiance ordered braised beef short ribs and he was very disappointed. Overall our experience at the Brown Hotel was very enjoyable. The are also within walking distance of Fourth Street Live for some other dinning choices and nightlife.

Room Tip: I highly recommend the club level for couples!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Delighted to hear you enjoyed your visit.
Thank you for your detailed comments regarding our Club floor, which our guests find to be an excellent value.
Our staff was very pleased to read your note of “friendly and professional” service, which we strive for every day.
We hope to have you back in the near future.
Nicholasville, Kentucky
Reviewed December 11, 2012

If you like old style opulence, this is the hotel for you. The Brown Hotel is a Louisville treasure. I booked a room on the Club floor for my wife and myself, celebrating our 20th anniversary. We arrived in Louisville in the late morning, around 10:30. Knowing that checkin was not until 3:00, I called anyway to inquire if we could check in any earlier. To my surprise the response was, "We will make sure you have a room available as soon as you get here." When we arrived, about 30 minutes later, the receptionist offered a beaming congratulations on our anniversary and told me our room had been upgraded to a luxury room, complete with king sized bed, sitting area, and view of the Louisville skyline. We took our baggage upstairs, walked into a large room, very well appointed, with a dozen extraordinarily beautiful red roses sitting on the coffee table, compliments of the management! That was the beginning of a wonderful stay.
The Club floor has complimentary snacks, beer, and wine from 5:00 to 7:00. The snacks were OK. Beer choices included Heinnekin, Miller Lite, Kentucky Ale, and Budwiser. There were three wine choices: a Merlot, Cabernet, and a Chardoney. The reds were actually very good, but I didn't sample the white. We socialized for a while and then ventured downstairs to the English Pub for our dinner reservation. Although I will review the restaurant separately, I will just say here that our servings of short ribs were melt-in-your-mouth delicious. Service was impeccable, and the ambiance worthy of the Great Gatsby himself. After dinner we slipped into the bar area just outside the restaurant. There I met with my only disappointment of the weekend. I ordered an expresso and a Grappa, but contrary to the manager's assurances, they were out of Grappa. Bummer. They also had no Goldschlager. I settled for an Amarretto and expresso while my wife had only a coffee. I will say the bar is otherwise well-stocked, with all the finest bourbons, including Pappy VanWinkle 20 and 23 year-old! For those of you uninitiated into the finer classes of bourbon, Pappy VanWinkle is the golden grail. There is no finer!
Prices for the room (on the Club floor, around $200) and dinner (for 2 in the English Pub, including wine, around $90) were very reasonable. Self-parking in the hotel, with come-and-go privileges was $20, not too bad for the convenience. All said, I think the Brown is Louisville's finest! Oh yeah, the complimentary continental breakfast on the Club floor was several steps above expectations. The pastries were unique and fresh and the cheese and country ham were to die for. Coffee was excellent and the orange juice tasted fresh squeezed.

Room Tip: The Club floor rooms are worth the extra price.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
BradWalker-GM, General Manager at The Brown Hotel, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Dear Guest,
Wonderful to read your recent review and see that you enjoyed your 20th anniversary. Always nice to have a bourbon connoisseur with us. Thanks for grading us “Louisville’s finest.”
Please let me know if ever I may be of assistance in future.
Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

The room was very large, the bed was comfortable, and everything in the hotel has a very ornate, old fashioned feel. Features in my room that I particularly liked was a large closet with full length mirror, an iron and ironing board, a very comfortable chair, a desk, many drawers for storage, and a flat screen tv. The lobby, and really the hotel overall is beautiful. My stay there was paid for by a third party, so I cannot comment on value, but if you can afford it, I would definitely recommend staying at The Brown. My only complaint would be that I could hear planes that were fairly loud in my room, but not loud enough to wake me up at night. Oh- and parking at the hotel costs approximately $20 per day (which I thought was highly overpriced), but there are multiple alternative garages near by... I parked in one on W Chestnut (about 2 blocks away from the hotel) that was about $8 per day.

• Stayed December 2012
Warrington, PA
Reviewed December 5, 2012

The Brown Hotel is an older, historic property and as such carries a lot of beautiful architectural details, but that the modern traveler might find "dated". It comes with the territory, and you obviously need to be aware. You will not find sleek modern furnishings at the Brown, and this is what makes its charm. Like older hotels they tend to allow for sounds to travel more from the adjacent rooms or hallway, although I didn't experience much of that.
The staff is VERY good, and will cater to your every need. From valet to cleaning to front desk, everyone was first class and I was impressed.
The bar is small but nice, public areas clean, and restaurants very good.
The room obviously has older furniture, but the bed was very comfortable, and the bath nice and spacious. The room I was in was rather dark with a horrible view, making it dingy, but again most room on the 5th floor facing away from the street are likely to be that way.....I had a nice stay

Room Tip: You may want to request "street" view and get less of the dingy feeling you'll have if...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Our staff was very pleased to read your note complimenting their catering to every need.
Please call me before arriving for a future visit and I will personally block a room with a nice view for you.