“Average Hotel w/$20 per day parking charge.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Brown Hotel

The Brown Hotel
Ranked #2 of 95 Hotels in Louisville
Pickerington, Ohio
“Average Hotel w/$20 per day parking charge.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2012

Just stayed at the Brown Hotel for 5 days due to a training class held at Kindred Health Care (right across the street). If I did not get this room at a reduced rate, I definitely would have felt it was overpriced. It wasn't a bad stay but it wasn't anything memorable. The room was just a basic (somewhat on the small side) with a queen size bed, desk, desk chair and room chair with an amoire for the tv. The walls are a bit thin. So thin I could hear the next door perso speak in a regular tone to her friend, family and others on the phone. The space is somewhat limited space to walk around or have much clutter as the amoire takes up a lot of room. The bathroom was almost as large as the room itself and was a bit dated. I think a previous guest wrote it best when they stated the lobby is probably the best feature as it is historical and is beautiful. If you have a car, don't be alarmed to learn that if you would like to use the garage that is attached to the hotel, you will have to pay a $20 per day fee to use it. There are other parking lots within the area for $4 and $6 per day but they are uncovered and unsupervised. Another not so great thing is the hotel has a limited number of channels to view. There is no Showtime, BRAVO, Lifetime, TLC or other popular cable channels. I think there is only a choice of about 20 channels to view. The only desk and chair in the room face the window, so if guest wishes to watch tv and use your laptop you can't do both as your back to the television. Okay, the plus side is the room is clean, close to several local restaurants, the staff is nice enough, and free USA Today newspapre and free internet access. Other than that, I can't think of anything outstanding. The food at the hotel is a bit overpriced and just for oatmeal it is $8 or $9. The lunch buffet is $18 per person. The evening menu is fairly high as well. If you are looking to stay in downtown Louisville, KY -- I'd recommend saving yourself some money and staying at the Marriott just down the street, where their parking is only $5 per day and you even get a hot breakfast included with your room price. Sorry Brown Hotel, my stay wasn't memorable and you need to offer discount parking or at least breakfast in the lobby...something that is an extra value to the hotel guest.

Room Tip: Use the free USA Today newspaper to see what's on television for the evening. No guide is provid...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank andoralees

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
Pensacola Beach, Florida, USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2012

The Brown is a historic hotel that does not accommodate working in the room. There were two straight backed dining room like chairs in the room. Tried to work, then read. Back was hurting so bad, I went to the business center which had decent office like chairs. Truly regretted that I did not stay in a Hampton, Homewood, Hilton, etc. that provide good seating options. On the positive side, Internet speed was good, water pressure fine and not much noise.

Room Tip: If you are planning to work or relax in your room, go elsewhere.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
BradWalker-GM, General Manager at The Brown Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your note.

When your travels bring you back through Louisville, please allow me to handle your reservation and I will see we have one of the most comfortable chairs you have ever sat in, to your room. We'll move around chairs and sofas til we get it perfect.

Hope to see you back with us.
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

Well we stayed here twice in the last month. The first time they gave us a free upgrade to the club floor. We love the service on the club floor so next time we just booked it up front. In the evening they serve food, wine and beer at no additional cost. Plus free water and Starbucks 24 hours. It's a nice perk. If you stay here DO NOT leave without trying the Hot Brown. I Always get mine with light mornay sauce. But it's great. Haven't had a hot brown till you had it where it was invented. When we need a hotel in Louisville KY this is our first choice.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Vegastravel2000
Dear Vegas Traveler,

Many thanks for the lovely review.

Nice to hear you enjoyed our Club Floor - it is indeed a great value. Thank you for the wonderful comment on the Hot Brown. With the sandwich having recently been featured on ABC NEWS with Diane Sawyer and on MAN vs FOOD with Adam Richman, our culinary staff is preparing hundreds of these every week - still 86 years after it was first invented at the hotel.

We hope to have you back soon.
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

There are some beautiful boutique hotels that are classic and wonderful. Unfortunately the Brown didn't do it for me. I got the room on Hotwire at a fraction of the usual cost, and if it weren't for that I would probably feel that I had wasted my money entirely.

The walls are entirely too thin if you expect your stay to be a "couples night", the headboard slams the wall if you even just roll over, and your neighbor probably will not hesitate to bang on the wall to let you know this as it's loud enough to hear in the hallway.

I enjoyed the decor, temperature, and amenities but when the lobby is the best part of a hotel you know there's a problem. My stay wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. Not what I expected.

Room Tip: End of the hall or with no one surrounding you.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Desespoir
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2012

Booked a Club Room in Louisville as we attended a conference for work and stayed fro three days. The room was very large and the furnsihings, tasteful and well kept. The bed was very comfortable and the room very clean. The bathroom was slightly dated with older fixtures in the tub and shower area and the curtain was somewhat angled a little to much with the arching rod.

The staff was very pleasant and the lobby bar area exceptional. It is obvious that the lobby / bar is where the hotel has really put the money. A great atmosphere in the hotel and a beautiful Crystal Ballroom!!!

The hotel is old, which is not a bad thing but for those of you bent on new and sparkling things this is not your hotel. I felt that the hotel was inviting and the bell staff was very welcoming no mater who you are and took good care of us while we were there. I did experience the Muhamad Ali suite while staying here and would highly recomend this room to a group of friends wanting something very nice!

The location is just off of Broadway on 4th Street, and across from Kindred (A healthcare headquarters). 4th Street runs North / South and is the downtown venue for most tourist stuff. Louisville is not very large and that is quite nice as you can walk to almost anything in about 15-20 minutes. I would caution to walk with someone late because the Brown is at the far South end of 4th street downtown and there are some businesses that are not in operation anymore between the hotel and the entertainment area of 4th Street.

4th Street Live is a 5-10 minute walk just north with restaurants, nightclubs and fun things to do. The riverfront is an additional 10 minute walk North of that.

Room Tip: I would recomend the Club level rooms on the club floors as they have breakfast and evening and afte...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Kevin S
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to detail your experience with us.

Appreciate your comments on our large guest rooms, comfortable beds and the value of a Club floor guest room. Our staff greatly enjoyed your positive thoughts on our service.

Hope to have you with us in the future.
Huntsville, Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2012

My brothers and I spent a weekend at this distinctive and historic downtown hotel while exploring the nearby Bourbon Trail. Beds provided a great night's rest and rooms were very clean. Dinner, complemented by a very nice Rye Manhattan from the lobby bar, at the English-styled restaurant was exceptional in every respect. The more casual brew-pub directly across the street was worth the visit. The brunch was reasonably priced, perfectly adequate if not memorable. Fitness Center was acceptable - cardio machines plus hand weights. Stay here for a special weekend or while visiting the many sights in and around Louisville.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Galooba,

Appreciate your kind thoughts.

Delighted to see that you enjoyed the Bourbon Trail. The Brown is proud to be on the Urban Bourbon Trail register, with one of the bars in town serving over 50 bourbons. Thank you for the great remark on our English Grill restaurant.

We hope to have you back for another special weekend in the future.
Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2012

My wife and I stayed here on a Saturday night to attend a show at the (semi) attached Brown Theater. We were excited about the Brown Hotel because we were aware of its age and decor.

The room rate was reasonable and we purchased a couple of eStandby upgrades, specifically a club-level room and discounted valet parking. I was hesitant at first but they worked out very well. Our room was on the 12th floor and the view was just of another wing of the building, so nothing impressive there but was exactly what we'd paid for. The style was something that many would call "grandmother's bedroom," but I found it classy and warm. We had a television, desk, and alarm clock. I would complain about the lack of iPhone dock on the alarm clock but it wasn't a promised amenity--just something I think should be standard in most hotels.

The room and bathroom, while obviously old, was quite clean; however, we did find an empty water bottle sticking out from under the bed. It wasn't worth the time to complain about. The shower head was very old and low (I'm tall but it would've been low even for normal humans) but functional. The walls were very thin and there was a gap between the bottom of our door and the floor of maybe an inch. Almost creepy that someone could potentially lay in the hall and peek inside.

Some of this may sound like complaints, and had I booked a room at a hotel claiming to be completely renovated or newly constructed, I would complain; however, part of the draw to this particular place was the atmosphere and history. There was enough of both to outweigh the oddities.

I highly suggest a club level room. The lounge view was nice and the selection of beers, sodas, and wines was good enough to keep us from hitting the hotel bar prior to our dinner at the hotel's English Grill (see my review about that place soon). We also hit it up for a breakfast pastry, juice, and coffee the next morning.

Everyone was very friendly and service focused throughout our stay. The valet was exceptionally fast with our car and helpful with directions. The Brown Theater was a one minute walk and Fourth Street live appeared to be maybe a five minute walk. The Palace was about a one minute walk as well.

I would certainly stay here again, see a show at the Brown Theater again, and eat at the English Grill again.

A couple of random notes:
We didn't order room service, but the prices were much better than most places (1/2 pound burger with fries for $12 or maybe $15--yeah, way overpriced, but cheap for in-room dining). Service ended at 2200 I believe. The robes in the room smelled strongly of bleach, but I would count that in the "Thank God" column and not the complaint column.

Room Tip: If you like to drink, or snack, or have kids who like cookies, snag a room on a club level.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RachelandDonny
BradWalker-GM, General Manager at The Brown Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2012
Dear Rachel and Donny,

Thank you for the note regarding your visit. Delighted to see you would stay with us again and dine in our English Grill. Nice to read your comments on our friendly and focused service staff, and our exceptionally fast valet team.

The Brown is indeed well located for guests attending a show at the Palace or Brown Theatres and the nightlife at 4th Street Live.

Glad you enjoyed our club floor, where our guests can almost make a meal out of the food displayed.

We look forward to seeing you again.