“Great hotel from Priceline”
Review of The Brown Hotel

The Brown Hotel
Ranked #2 of 97 Hotels in Louisville
Reviewed August 22, 2011

I happened upon this 4 star hotel on Priceline.com where you bid on hotels and it was spectacular. Being a historic hotel gives it such character and class. Loved the player piano in the lobby and the aroma as we entered the back door from the garage smelled of roses. It was great! All the staff were very accommodating and we got our check-out time easily extended by one hour without a hassle. I would definitely stay there again and would recommend it to friends.

Room Tip: we upgraded once we arrived for only $10 more, wasn't a problem
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank pesostodd
There are newer reviews for The Brown Hotel

Reviewed August 20, 2011

We were only here one night waiting to fly out, so my review is based on a fairly limited exposure. HOWEVER this is a beautiful facility with tons of history packed in. The beds were comfortable, it was clean and the staff was great. It's downtown location was convenient and we enjoyed the adjacent restaurants, brewpubs, etc. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 20, 2011

I was at a conference at the Brown, and multitasking as always. Teaching sessions, photographing speakers, conducting smaller meetings around the conference schedule had me hopping! Somewhere in my crazy schedule I lost a valuable piece of camera gear. The Brown found it and shipped it to me. They are honest, wonderful people. Thank you Brown Hotel!! I look forward to many stays at this beautiful location the future!!!!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 9, 2011

Had a pleasant stay. The room was very large and quiet--though there was a little late night street noise. The decor and furniture could use some updating, but everything was clean and in good working order. The hotel lobby is very pleasant. The service in the lobby bar was a little slow, but the staff was working hard to keep up with wedding traffic, and eventually got to us. We had one breakfast. It was good but not outstanding. Our table was in a very pleasant and open spot near the front window. The hotel was nicely located both for walking and for driving to the Bardstown area. If we return to Louisville, this is where we will stay.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 7, 2011

My daughter and I traveled to Louisville as part of a spontaneous summer trip through the midwest. We were fairly disappointed in Louisville - but did enjoy our tours of the Louisville Slugger Factory and Museum and Churchill Downs. Our biggest disappointment was the Brown Hotel. Touted by Priceline and others as a 4-star hotel (indeed the hotel has somehow carried a AAA Four Diamond rating for a number of years), this hotel was firmly 3 star, with a terrible location on the fringe (at best) of what is generously considered to be "downtown." I'm involved in historic preservation, but even I expected more from a 4 star rated hotel. The lobby was tired and usually lifeless. It smelled old. The rooms were OK, but decorated in a tired cliche of reproduction-quality antiques. The hotel restaurant lacked all charm and was generally un-enticing - we didn't use it. The long walk to the heart of downtown along Main and Market streets required us to pass many depressing buildings and empty lots. Staff was friendly, but not at the level that one would get from a well-trained staff at almost any Marriott or Hilton hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 7, 2011

My college-aged daughter and I stayed at two hotels in downtown Louisville--the 21c Museum Hotel and The Brown Hotel. (I have just reviewed the 21c Museum Hotel which I highly recommend and will limit my current comments to The Brown Hotel). The Brown Hotel has a grand reception/bar area in the lobby. However, the grandeur ends there as everything else encountered was nice, but not luxurious by today's standards. Our room at The Brown Hotel had a high elevation with a great view of downtown. Our beds were comfortable, and our room was clean with a very large bathroom. However, one basic amenity that usually comes with a room, a coffee maker (preferably espresso), was lacking here. This hotel seems more poised to host large convention groups vs. the more independent traveler. The fitness center closed at 10 PM, I believe, so I did not get to experience it.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank HavePassptWillTravel
Reviewed July 29, 2011

If you're going to be in Lou-uh-ville, you definitely have to stay at the Brown. It's a part of history and has been featured in movies like Elizabethtown. My first evening there, I was downstairs in the lobby looking for food. The lobby was full of what can only be described as the quintessential, modern-day, Southern Belles - beautiful women with amazing manners and accents. As I sipped my wine, a few of us started chatting and I found out they were going to see Goldie Hawn at the Brown's attached theater. The show was sold out but it was moments before a gorgeous woman and her two daughters offered me their extra ticket (one of the daughters couldn't make it.) Southern hospitality at its finest!

I had an amazing time at the show, got to meet Goldie Hawn and returned back to the hotel to eat the famed Hot Brown, famous throughout Lou-uh-vulle but originating at the Brown Hotel.

The staff was extremely accommodating, friendly and professional. The bartenders were the sort that make you want to stay for another glass of wine and the room was classic for an historic hotel. The bathrooms were updated and modern. The housekeeping staff made me feel comfortable - which I value greatly.

Highly recommend and hope to be able to return someday.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank desertphnx
cteives, General Manager at The Brown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2011

Thank you very much for recognizing the Brown as part of Louisville’s great history, and for our Southern hospitality. Our Hot Brown has drawn guests from all over the country since the 1920’s and is regularly featured in newspapers and magazines – recently by Diane Sawyer and ABC NEWS.
I was delighted you hear you enjoyed Goldie Hawn - many of the entertainers visiting Louisville stay with us.
Thank you for your positive comments on our bartending staff. They invest a good deal of time to truly understand wine and bourbon, in order to recommend to our guests.
We look forward to having you back with us in the near future.
Brad Walker