“Best sleep I have ever had in a hotel”

Hyatt Regency Louisville
Ranked #12 of 102 Hotels in Louisville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 10, 2009

This is a nice hotel. Nothing out of the ordinary but nice. Staff at the hotel was very nice. The maid service was not that great. Nothing major just empty cups were not thrown out and the ice bucket was never emptied and cleaned. The bed was absolutelu AMAZING. It has the pillow topped mattress and tons of regular pillows. Between the great bed and the great soundproofing, I slept better than I usually do.

The hotel is doing some renovation so carpets were being replaced and areas of the hotel were blocked off during my stay. This included the business center. Would have been very inconvenient if my company didn't have a seperate one.

I did order room service breakfast my last day. It was okay. The choices for breakfast are very limited in this area. Not alot around the hotel other than some bars, restaurants and a Borders. Mine attraction seems to be the Convention Center.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,502)

Reviewed March 21, 2009

We stayed at the Hyatt Downtown for our annual trip to see family and friends. We chose this location for it’s convenience to downtown and for other special reasons. I must say that, if you don’t plan on getting room service or valet parking, consider other options with better amenities.

In today’s market, one can obtain a room that may not be in the downtown area, but will have free WIFI, free breakfast, free parking, a decent bed with a TV & Iron. Really, that’s all you need, right? For what we paid at this hotel, we didn’t get the free WIFI, free breakfast, free parking (Valet or self park with a fee) or a decent bed! The walls were thin and more like what you would find in a hotel that is a step down from this quality. We had fond memories of this place, but that was 9 years ago, really nothing has changed with this place, but my standards have! The feather pillows were flat, although upon check-out I was told I could have asked for better ones. I guess the guy could see that we looked tired.

If you are willing to trade room service and valet parking (with a fee of course) for free WIFI, free breakfast, free parking and a decent bed, I would recommend you save a few bucks and get more for the money elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed March 17, 2009

The Hyatt in Lousiville is just a decent hotel. I would call sum it up as "blah". The interior is really boring and dated once you get over the neat height of the atrium and elevators. The rooms were not dirty really, just very very dusty and getting outdated. The sheets were clean (which always matters). The beds are entirely too small for a couple(doubles) for a hotel of this class. I mean very small and very uncomfortable. Not sure what they are thinking here, but the room we were in would definately fit queens. The furniture is not new. The bathrooms are very small. No lighted makeup mirrors. The loud air conditioning is your only option to block out the noise from either the echoing lobby (we were on the 15th floor too by the way!) or the airplanes going overhead and traffic outside. Every room connects to the atrium and the noise. We got little sleep. There are 3 elevators which are slow because they service the entire hotel (17 floors). The only thing going for a room here is the view if you get an upper floor.

I've traveled a lot and have come to expect a phone book to be available in the room, express check out, etc. Here, we had to call the front desk to get a local number looked up and you have to drop your key cards and checkout at the front desk. Irritating since the hotel is so huge and the front desk is busy at all times. The front desk staff is nice, but there was no bell boy in sight to help with luggage after we parked in their garage and headed to the lobby. Now that I think about it, I didn't see a bell boy assisting anyone our entire stay and there were people with loads of luggage.

The convenience of being next to the convention center and 4th St. Live is the biggest plus. But the Marriott and the Galt House are right there as well. Not sure why this hotel is rated as high as it is unless it because it has full service resturants and business convention services within...which are not cheap. Didn't eat here, walked down to 4th Street Live to eat twice (TGI Fridays and Hard Rock) and ordered a pizza in from Papa Johns for our teenager once. No snack machines available, only 1 soda machine and ice maker per floor. Not many soda choices either.

BTW, getting in and out of town from the interstate to the Convention Center area is easy. Easiest we have done in any large city.

Next time, we will choose the Marriott or the Galt House. This Hyatt is nothing special at all and you can tell it has been very used for conventions, business, etc.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 11, 2009

We stayed here last Sat. night. Booked room through Priceline. Lovely surprise. The room was absolutely gorgeous. I'd read other reviews about the noise so I requested a room on an upper floor with a view of the river. Both requests were granted in a blink of the eye. We were on the 18th floor overlooking the Ohio River. We didn't use the parking garage as there was plenty of parking on the street during the time that we were going and coming. The metered partking was free on Sundays, but there were several $3 and $5 parking lots around the area very close to the hotel. I would absolutely love to stay here again. The only downside would be that they charge $5 to rent a fridge and/or microwave.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GloriaA
Reviewed January 20, 2009

Good location, no need to go outside if you need to get to Convention Center. Lots of restaurants nearby. Taxi from airport not too bad ($17). Staff tried to please. Place was very empty. They did turndown without request. Very neat and tidy.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed December 30, 2008

I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel! You cannot beat the location and the bed is OH SO COMFY. As for the noise, I didn't notice any. If anything, I thought the room was oddly quiet considering the hotel lobby design. Staff was friendly, but not terribly professional. Parking was expensive and inconvenient though... That should be expected in a city.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 17, 2008

I can accept that downtown hotels will never give you free wireless. What I cannot accept is that a downtown hotel is built in such a way so that hallway noise is omnipresent and intrusive. The hotel is built as a ring, with the rooms around the outside and the center open. While in some places (the Marriot in Atlanta, for example) this serves to create an impressive interior, here it just served to amplify the noise made by drunken adults into the wee hours of the morning. Combine that with a hotel worker cleaning out the ice maker 2 doors down at 6:30am, and we're talking not enough sleep.

Other than that, the hotel room, size of room bed, and furnishings were acceptable. I agree with other reviewers who said that the front desk staff were competent but not inspired. The pool (on the 4th floor and with no signage in the hotel) is quite nice, especially in the morning, thanks to the large windows.

Overall, not up to the Hyatt brand. I wouldn't pay more than 60-70 for this room.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)