“Too much noise!!!!!!”

Ranked #84 of 95 Hotels in Louisville
Edgewood
“Too much noise!!!!!!”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

This property is extremely outdated and allowed people to party, scream, and run around the property until well after midnight. The room was less than clean. The breakfast was good and the lobby and breakfast area were considerably nicer than the room. The price was extremely reasonable, but if I had paid more than I did my rating would be even less.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Donnie D, General Manager at Days Inn Louisville Central University & Expo Center, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Thank you for taking time out to let us know what we need to do to improve our service. I do know we have a lot of noise with the highway right in front of us and the railroad tracks behind us. We do try to control guest from parting out side of their rooms and we do have 24 hour security . I do hope you will come back and see us and take a minute to stop by and see me I would love to talk to you on all the things we are doing to make this motel a wonderful stay. Thanks Ron

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

Charming front desk agent checked me in. Location is conveniently right off the highway. Rooms and building are pretty old school but I think it adds to the charm. Lots of parking. Slept fine. Some people might find the highway traffic sounds in the morning a problem but not me.

• Stayed May 2013
Donnie D, General Manager at Days Inn Louisville Central University & Expo Center, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to your return trip. We know that every guest that comes here sees us in different ways, but are goal is for eveyone to see us in the light of a good, clean, and friendly motel. Thank you for your comments. Ron
Lake Jackson, Texas
Reviewed May 6, 2013

My wife and I were up for Derby Week and booked this hotel because it was close to Churchill Downs. While we do not want to knock anyone's review of their experience, we had a much better stay than most. First off, we recognize that this is a one star hotel. The property certainly shows plenty of wear....and the price reflects that. We arrived at night and the parking lot was well lit and the asphalt lot was in good repair. Martha checked us in and was capable of getting us our room keys, but the manager could probably work with her to be a little more informative and outgoing. In my opinion, she did mean to be uninformative.....just needs to be trained to tell people about breakfast, checkout time, whether a wake up call is needed or whether the guest needs anything, etc.

The hotel room indeed had badly stained chairs that included lots of water marks. I really don't know that any upholstery cleaner can spruce them up.....but I still sat in the chairs and they were fine. The bathroom was very clean and delivered a great hot shower with great water pressure. In the days of hotel water savers, blasting, old school water pressure is really nice to wake you up in the morning. The bed was really comfortable. The furniture was knicked up, but clean. The vanity is detached from the bathroom so one person can shower and one can get ready without a steam bath to contend with. The 27" CRT TV had a respectable picture and free HBO.

The free breakfast was purely continental.....no hot selections...but plenty to hold you over until lunch. You could create hot selections by toasting bagels, waffles, etc. or pour hot water into an oatmeal packet. All of the juices were represented as was milk. It was an average free breakfast. We had trouble finding the ice machines, so the morning front desk worker politely helped us and even refused a tip saying that it was her pleasure to help.

I see the manager reads these reviews, which is nice because he can react to what guests are saying. One thing I hope the manager will explain is why the hotel let Greene's BBQ & Steaks run a huge trailer on a very loud commercial generator for a whole week. The unmuffled, powerful generator piped jackhammer like noise into our room and was literally within 75 feet of room 114. I asked the front desk about it and Martha said I was the first person to complain, but their had not been many guests during the week. She said the trailer would be pulling out at midnight.

My obvious question is why the manager would allow so much noise to piece the parking lot and distub his guests. Even plywood in front of the generator would significantly muffle the noise. I am hoping their is a good explanation for this because the management cannot control the age of the hotel, most likely cannot snap his fingers and order a renovation of the hotel, etc. However, he can control the noise.

The trailer did leave around 11:30 p.m. and the hotel was then quiet. We did not hear any road noise. We were tired and slept well. Our automated wake up call came right on time. We did not see the much maligned back side of the hotel nor did we see any vagrants or hookers. We would gladly stay in this hotel again...especially when we need a late in, early out sleep and shower room. Solid value.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
I'm sorry it has taken me so long to respond to your comments. I do appriciate the time you took to fill out this survey. I have spoken to Martha and she is working very hard to improve on responding to guest needs. I guess the biggest problem you had was the food truck in the parking lot. I did not know it was causing so much problems. However, I know if it was bothering you it was bothering other guest also. The only person I can blame for this problems is me. I thought I was doing something good for my guest but it turns out that I wasn't; therefore, I won't make this mistake again. I do want to re emphasis my appreciation for you taking the time to help me to become a better manager and a better motel for our future guest. Thanks Ron