“Much Better Than The Reviews Indicate”

Days Inn Louisville Central University & Expo Center
Ranked #88 of 99 Hotels in Louisville
Reviewed May 6, 2013

My wife and I were up for Derby Week and booked this hotel because it was close to Churchill Downs. While we do not want to knock anyone's review of their experience, we had a much better stay than most. First off, we recognize that this is a one star hotel. The property certainly shows plenty of wear....and the price reflects that. We arrived at night and the parking lot was well lit and the asphalt lot was in good repair. Martha checked us in and was capable of getting us our room keys, but the manager could probably work with her to be a little more informative and outgoing. In my opinion, she did mean to be uninformative.....just needs to be trained to tell people about breakfast, checkout time, whether a wake up call is needed or whether the guest needs anything, etc.

The hotel room indeed had badly stained chairs that included lots of water marks. I really don't know that any upholstery cleaner can spruce them up.....but I still sat in the chairs and they were fine. The bathroom was very clean and delivered a great hot shower with great water pressure. In the days of hotel water savers, blasting, old school water pressure is really nice to wake you up in the morning. The bed was really comfortable. The furniture was knicked up, but clean. The vanity is detached from the bathroom so one person can shower and one can get ready without a steam bath to contend with. The 27" CRT TV had a respectable picture and free HBO.

The free breakfast was purely continental.....no hot selections...but plenty to hold you over until lunch. You could create hot selections by toasting bagels, waffles, etc. or pour hot water into an oatmeal packet. All of the juices were represented as was milk. It was an average free breakfast. We had trouble finding the ice machines, so the morning front desk worker politely helped us and even refused a tip saying that it was her pleasure to help.

I see the manager reads these reviews, which is nice because he can react to what guests are saying. One thing I hope the manager will explain is why the hotel let Greene's BBQ & Steaks run a huge trailer on a very loud commercial generator for a whole week. The unmuffled, powerful generator piped jackhammer like noise into our room and was literally within 75 feet of room 114. I asked the front desk about it and Martha said I was the first person to complain, but their had not been many guests during the week. She said the trailer would be pulling out at midnight.

My obvious question is why the manager would allow so much noise to piece the parking lot and distub his guests. Even plywood in front of the generator would significantly muffle the noise. I am hoping their is a good explanation for this because the management cannot control the age of the hotel, most likely cannot snap his fingers and order a renovation of the hotel, etc. However, he can control the noise.

The trailer did leave around 11:30 p.m. and the hotel was then quiet. We did not hear any road noise. We were tired and slept well. Our automated wake up call came right on time. We did not see the much maligned back side of the hotel nor did we see any vagrants or hookers. We would gladly stay in this hotel again...especially when we need a late in, early out sleep and shower room. Solid value.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Donnie D, General Manager at Days Inn Louisville Central University & Expo Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

I'm sorry it has taken me so long to respond to your comments. I do appriciate the time you took to fill out this survey. I have spoken to Martha and she is working very hard to improve on responding to guest needs. I guess the biggest problem you had was the food truck in the parking lot. I did not know it was causing so much problems. However, I know if it was bothering you it was bothering other guest also. The only person I can blame for this problems is me. I thought I was doing something good for my guest but it turns out that I wasn't; therefore, I won't make this mistake again. I do want to re emphasis my appreciation for you taking the time to help me to become a better manager and a better motel for our future guest. Thanks Ron

Reviewed April 24, 2013

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn
Ron P, General Manager at Days Inn Louisville Central University & Expo Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Reviewed April 17, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for a business trip. It slept well and the service was good. The shower didn't drain very well and the room was a little outdated, but I don't care too much bout decor. Fix the drainage issue and the value was worth the price.

Review collected in partnership with Days Inn
Ron P, General Manager at Days Inn Louisville Central University & Expo Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Thank you for your kind remarks and drainage problem has been fixed. Thank you for letting me know about this as my housekeeping staff now understands why it is important to let maintenance know when there is a problem in a room. Thanks Ron

Reviewed April 17, 2013

Reviewed April 16, 2013

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 9, 2013

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn
Ron P, General Manager at Days Inn Louisville Central University & Expo Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We had booked thru the days inn 800 number because we were having difficulty finding a room on interstate 65 all the way from nashville TN. We were exhausted when we arrived at 1am. Getting on and off 65 to the hotel is awkward if you are arriving from the south. The lobby looked decent but dated and the man at the desk was polite. When we were instructed to pull around the side and park in back I should have just left.

There were people hanging out on the walkways, the lighting was poor and it looked like the ghetto. If I were looking to score a prostitute or some other illegal activity Im sure you could find it at this hotel. Our room ended up being in a corner section which was away from the noise and loitering. I noticed that unoccupied rooms had dirty floors when i walked past the windows. We got to the non smoking room and were greeted by a stale smoke smell. The carpet was free of debris. The chairs were stained and looked gross and we did not set anything on them except the gross looking bedspreads. The blanket, sheets and pillows were clean although the skirts were torn. We inspected the beds for bugs and did not find anything. We must have had an updated room because tub and shower were fiberglass and the toilet looked newer. I will give them compliments on the bathroom because it was clean as well.

Breakfast was fair considering it was continental and it served its purpose. The staff was friendly and polite.

Almost forgot, the Liquor store and gas station that share the parking lot and the commotion that comes with that at 1am. That with Jake brakes from trucks and the blasting sounds of train horns makes this an awful place. I would never stay here alone or with my family not at any price.

Room Tip: choose a different HOTEL!!! unless you are looking for Drugs, booze or prostitution!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Ron P, Manager at Days Inn Louisville Central University & Expo Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Thank you for taking time out to fill out a survey on us. While the survey was not what I wanted to hear it does help me on what I need to do to improve our guest stay. We do have security on property and he walks the property continuously and responds to guest rooms when they call. As for prostitution If I find out it is going on I will call the police and have them arrested. The noise from the expressway is hard to control and if your from a small town or the country the noise will bother you. I'm from the city and I really don't hear it, but I'm sure that's partly because I have grown accustom to it. I do want to thank you for your kind comments about the rooms being clean and the breakfast bar employees.