“Perfect”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Clifton
Reviewed June 4, 2014

My wife and I stopped for a lunch and enjoyed a lot. Pretty cheap. Varied menu. Delicious food. Perfect wine. Very nice staff. Full bar. Warm, family, homelike style.

Reviewed May 30, 2014

Went here for a birthday dinner. The service was impeccable and the food was great. The food arrived promptly and was as described. The appetizers were great. Will go back again. Highly recommend to all.

Reviewed May 30, 2014

We stopped for lunch on our way back home to St. Louis and what a nice surprise. Having been to Ireland, as well as Irish pubs in Boston, Maine, Chicago, St. Louis, San Fancisco and Cape Cod I think it's safe to say I know what an Irish pub should look like, and this one certainly does. The owner, Michael greeted us as we walked into the bar and his accent was unmistakeable - Irish, through and through. As others have pointed out, the menu is authetic Irish (with a bit o' Brit thrown in - we had the Bubbles and Squeak - so-o-o-o good). The Guiness Stew was as good as I've ever had and my wife was very pleased with the fish and chips. The menu features Bar Bites (small plates as appetizers) Soups & Salads, Pub Grub, Sandwiches, Pub plates (traditional dinners with vegetables of the day), Children's meals and Desserts (I can verify the Irish Cream Caramel is sinfully good).

Besides the obligatory Guiness, Harp and assorted other beers, the Rover has a very impressive selection of Irish whiskeys, Scoth whiskeys and American bourbons. There is a very nice selection of wines and liqueurs. Smoking is permitted only on the patio.

Located in a 150 year old building the was built as a saloon, the Irish Rover is definitely a place to try next time you're in Louisville. If it happens to be on a Saturday, there is a terrific brunch served from 11am to 2pm.

Reviewed May 15, 2014

I have been dining at this establishment since they opened back in the late 90's, and have never had a meal I did not like.The restaurant is in a historic building set in the Clifton neighborhood.As soon as you step in the door,you are in the pub, and are kindly greeted.The owner,Michael is always there stepping in to help and talk to everyone who comes in.My husband who comes from Carlow always orders the traditional fish(cod) and chips,which is a sizable portion,but before you order, be sure and get the Scotch eggs(my fav) for an appetizer,or the mushrooms! I love the piping hot brown soda bread cooked fresh that they bring you before you order,and my personal favorite for the main entree is the Salmon Potato Gratin,mmm,it is smoked salmon with potatoes,swiss,parmesan cheese cooked in heavy cream.This is true Irish food,simple,yet yummy,so go on and try it,you will be glad you did, and don't forget to order a Harp,or Guinness! Slainte!
It can be a bit loud,but all good for some Irish craic!

Reviewed May 14, 2014

My sister raves about this restaurant so I accompanied her on her birthday. When I glanced at the menu, it seemed really authentic; maybe to authentic. I normally consider myself cultured but nothing sounded appealing once I read the menu. I went with a burger to be safe which was good. I write this to say, Irish food isn't necessarily appealing to me but if this sparks your interest, I highly suggest because this seems to be an authentic Irish restaurant. I give them a 4 for their authenticity and the fact that everyone else with us enjoyed their food. Although it's not what floats my boat, it is a good restaurant.