“Definitely worth #1 Rating”

Havana Rumba St. Matthews
Ranked #11 of 1,801 Restaurants in Louisville
Cuisines: Cuban
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: East Louisville
Description: Havana Rumba is a trip to the Caribbean no passport required. Join the Cuban party without having to break the travel restrictions. Buen provecho!
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I live in Louisville and eat at this restaurant and their newest location at Douglass Loop on Bardstown Rd.-which is a different concept-a tapas bar but also has full meals-hands down both are 2 of the best restaurants in the city-if your'e looking for fine dining-then that is another story-and plenty of those as well-but for this type of food you will find none better.-the drinks are excellent and authentic as is the food.The appetizers are spectacular-I usually get the shrimp at the st. matthews location-comes sizzling in garlic and olive oil served with pico and fresh baguette.At the Douglass Loop the tapas are top notch-the skewers of filet mignon and chicken are wonderful as well as the pork tacos.There are a few other unique ones as well.Cannot say enough about the quality you find in these restaurants.Best to go early as they are usually quite busy every night of the week.No visit to Louisville would be complete witbout trying one of these restaurants-you won't be disapointed!-Enjoy!

There are newer reviews for Havana Rumba St. Matthews

Reviewed September 15, 2013

My son and I were passing through Louisville and he picked this restaurant based on the reviews. I would have gone simply for the cuisine even though it is a bit north of where I would expect any Cuban food much less great. The food was amazing starting with the Mojito's out front while we waited. The staff is exceptionally attentive all the way around. Their sangria is unbelievably good and this coming from someone who makes what up to now I thought was the best sangria going. I cannot say enough about the food. My only problem is it is too far from home to visit regularly. Lively music out front, relaxed atmosphere. You will not be disappointed.

1  Thank CheshireTurkey
Reviewed September 15, 2013

It is my humble opinion that Texans are great at Tex-Mex, smoked brisket and sausage, but leave the Cuban opinions to those who lived closest to Cuba and have eaten is dozens of Cuban places. We live in Florida and I have been in the best Cuban places in the country. Havana Rumba is as good as the very best of Cuban food. We were seated within 15 minutes. Each of us ordered our favorites. Mine was the Lechon Asado pork marinated in mojo (citrus juices, garlic and mild Cuban spices that likely included cumin). It is slow roasted with onions and was tender & juicy. ($13.50). Hers was Ropa Vieja: shredded beef cooked with onions, bell peppers and olives in a wine & tomato sauce. ($12.50) We agreed that both dishes matched the best we have had. Even the sides were great. Service was efficient and friendly. The only non-Texans that will be a bit disappointed are those looking for a quiet, romantic place. This is a fun and cheerful, but a bit noisy dining spot, which is similar to all but two Cuban places (both in Miami) that are hush-hush white tablecloth romantic. We met, married and lived in Louisville (Christina is a Louisville native) and find this place a refreshing addition to a city sorely lacking in a Cuban dining. We tried an very poor attempt at Cuban 10 years ago located on the trendy side of town, but it was a tragedy in comparison. I highly recommend this restaurant and, along with 91% of reviewing diners, consider Havana Rhumba worthy of the ranking. I should mention that locals may want to consider the Middletown location vs St Matthews, due to the much larger capacity.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

We came here solely on the basis that this was the #1 restaurant in Louisville. There was a sign on the table saying to ask about the daily specials. So we asked our waiter who said there weren't any. Okay, so we decided to get the Parilla Habanera - a house specialty. The food was just okay with the exception of the black beans that were incredible. The service though was just very lacking. Our waiter was rude and unhelpful. The atmosphere was just okay - nothing special. And the food was just plain and not worth the price. I can't believe this is the number one place in Louisville.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

I have had little experience with Cuban cuisine but if I had one of these in my home town I would be a regular. I was challenged to pick an entree, but decided on the roast pork, black beans & rice and yucca. I ate till full and took enough home for another full meal. The bill was less than twenty dollars and that is a bargain to me. In spite of being very crowded service was great and my meal delivered promptly.