“Worth The High Praise”

Ranked #11 of 1,801 Restaurants in Louisville
Cuisines: Cuban
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: East Louisville
Description: Havana Rumba is a trip to the Caribbean no passport required. Join the Cuban party without having to break the travel restrictions. Buen provecho!
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We have family in the neighborhood of Havana Rumba in St. Matthew's. Startled to see the high praise at this website, rating it # 1 in all of Louisville, we wanted to see for ourselves if the high ranking is deserved.

We did take-out with a granddaughter just two weeks old and not quite ready for restaurants. On the phone the staff person repeated our order and when we took it home, did the same thing.

It was all good and while we have been to Cuba three times with a government license to travel and also visited Calle Ocho in Miami many times, this place can hold its own with the best in terms of inventiveness, freshness, authenticity and value.

Cuban food is often said to be bland and sometimes without flavor; perhaps due to the recently adopted American standard for spicy foods from a variety of countries. I think many people would share this sentiment even here. But we love Cuban food because of our memories of being there and this is the real thing.
Next time, we will eat at the restaurant. We hear the mojitos are fantastic!

There are newer reviews for Havana Rumba St. Matthews

Reviewed August 23, 2013

This was my first experience at a Cuban restaurant. I knew a little about Cuban food from watching Food Network. I ordered items that I had seen chefs cook on the show. I was not disappointed. Cuban food has a flavor all its own. I had the Lechon Asado with congris and fried plantains. Everything about the dish was excellent and I cleaned my plate even though it was a large serving. No one at the table was disappointed with the food. I can't wait to try Cuban food again.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

We have eaten in all three of their properties and the real Cuban food is always truly outstanding. This location in Middletown on Shelbyville Road has nice quite seating both indoors and outside.
Their other locations get so noisy that you can not carry on a conversation. Great pork dishes and sandwiches for me and fish and salads for my wife. Price is reasonable for what you get!

It is now one of our favorites and we eat out all the time. Note Louisville is a real foody town so a restaurant has to be real good just to survive.

Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Havana Rumba is always a treat. We drive from Frankfort about once a month to eat here because the food is so good, service is great, and atmosphere is good especially when there is live music. Our favorites are the tropical salad, guacamole and plantains (a must for every meal as an appetizer), fricase de pollo, and pollo or lechon asado. Very, very good! Service is usually phenomenal, sometimes average, but have never had a bad experience. Drink pricing is high, but food prices are fair/average. Love this place!

Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

Dinner was gr-r-r-r-reat! We got a sampler appetizer plate which was a plethora of amazing and unique flavors and tastes. The portions were quite big. The food was authentic. The atmosphere was welcoming and upbeat. All in all, great dinner choice. Highly recommended. Just one piece of advice - come HUNGRY! :)

1  Thank Moshamosha