“Not to be Trusted”
Review of Inn at Woodhaven

Inn at Woodhaven
Ranked #6 of 15 Louisville B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 28, 2007

Having heard wonderful things about the Inn at Woodhaven, including from my brother and sister-in-law who have stayed there several times, we planned a special visit there for our 25th anniversary. When we arrived, the innkeeper wondered why we were there because she said she called the previous morning at 10:30 and left a message telling us she had a "plumbing emergency" in our room, so we wouldn't be able to stay. We told her we didn't get her message, as we left home earlier the previous morning to go to another B&B. (We did a 2-B&B-weekend trip.) We were very disappointed, so she offered us a 50% discount for a future stay, which we accepted. (This was a verbal offer with nothing in writing.) When we returned home and retrieved her message, we noticed that her call was made at 4:00 the previous afternoon (not earlier in the morning as she told us), but we didn't think much about it at that time. A few months later we made another reservation through the inn's website and followed up by e-mail to confirm our room, arrival date and the 50% discount offer. She replied and verified all the information. When we arrived this second time, she again acted surprised to see us and told us our reservation wasn't until the next day. We could not believe what we were hearing! We had printed her reply e-mail message with her own written words stating we were scheduled for the very day we were there, and we had the copy with us and showed it to her, but she ignored it and still insisted she had us down for the next day. She said we were welcome to return the following day, but we were so angry and upset that we told her we wouldn't return. At that point, we began to doubt her first story about a plumbing problem, nor do we think she honestly made a mistake about our arrival date the second time. Now, after reading other reviews about some of her other "excuse" stories, including one that was used twice for two couples at different times, we believe she cannot be trusted and has a group of stories she uses to cancel out on guests at the last minute. Since this B&B is very popular and usually highly-rated, her rooms are likely in high demand and seldom vacant, so she may be taking care of some regular or special guests by giving them rooms that have actually been reserved by others. This would also explain the great time difference in her phone message the first time, as she failed to keep all details of her story straight (and probably had a late afternoon request for a room the next night, so she promised them ours so she would get the full amount for the room). We also believe that she had no intention of ever honoring the 50% discount because when the second problem occurred, she didn't offer the discount again. Actually we thought she should have offered us a free night, but she didn't. Some people may have no problems with this B&B and are able to stay there, but we think others will find themselves in the same situation where they encounter some "problem" with their room not being available. The person who said that a reservation doesn't mean anything to this innkeeper is absolutely right! We will never try to stay there again and will also tell everyone we can about her dishonest tactics.

• Stayed: August 2005
    • Check in / front desk
13  Thank Ky_B&B_Lover

Reviewed January 18, 2007

I saw this place's website and was able to get 20 percent off the regular roomrate by calling and booking the day of! It's a great last-minute deal if you can get it.

The house is a beautiful 1850s Gothic Revival with huge doors and a dramatic staircase and antique frou-frou decor. There were freshly baked cookies and complimentary jars of Nivea (part of some promotion) when I arrived. Marsha and her sister were on the porch sipping wine in the afternoon and tailored a Louisville itinerary to my needs.

The Rose room came with sherry, numerous magazines (in which the well-decorated room could have been featured), lots of snacks and coffee and good toiletries. Could have used a full-length mirror somewhere, but the bed was thick and luxurious. There are after dinner liqueurs (including a peach-mango elixir) in the parlor.

Breakfast was outrageous - with quiche, cheese grits and biscuits and gravy, eggs any way, numerous juices, fresh pastries and fruit, etc. and the Sunday Times.

The only downside is that it's not right in town but in an unremarkable residential neighborhood on the outskirts, but, hey, I guess that's where it was built.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed April 17, 2005

We have stayed a many B&B's as we like to take little weekends off from everything. Woodhaven is by far the greatest experience we have ever had. The Derby Romm was splended.... Way to go Marsha! See ya in June.

Stayed: June 2004
A TripAdvisor Member
Gallia County, OH
Reviewed March 21, 2005

My husband and I decided to celebrate my birthday (March 20) at the Inn at Woodhaven. We made advanced reservations and planned to go for a nice luncheon with our best friend from Wisconsin, who had to begin the 600+ mile trip home that evening. About 5 days prior to our intended arrival we asked Mrs. Burton if it would be okay for our friends to shower before our luncheon as we were going to be participating in a living history encampment all weekend and they wished to get cleaned up before going out to lunch.

Initially she balked at the idea saying that she’d have to charge extra because of toweling and such. I recommended that we bring our own towels and other extras for our guests and she agreed. However, when we arrived it was suddenly not “cost effective” for her. We found a note taped to the door telling us that we weren’t allowed to bring our friends into our room, and a suggestion that we should stay elsewhere. There was no interaction with Mrs. Burton prior to our arrival so we are completely mystified why she suddenly turned hostile, and broke our verbal agreement.

When I asked her to put in writing on the paper that she would not charge our credit card because we were no longer staying there she said, “My word is good.” Well, after reading some of these reports and having our own experience -- I’m glad I got it in writing.

Thanks to Mrs. Burton’s “hospitality” or lack thereof, it was an evening of great stress and disappointment for me, as we had to go in search of a place to stay and did not have time to have lunch with my friends. This goes down as the worst birthday I EVER had!

• Stayed: March 2005
13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Louisville
Reviewed February 11, 2005

My wife and i were trying to stay here over valentines day weekend and when we went to check in they told us a couple was staying and the husband had to hospitalized, and that the room would not be available. This was on Valentines weekend. They gave us no notice at all, and didnt even tell me this until we arrived. Our entire Valentines day was ruined. I understand the situation of the other guest but this was a holiday weekend. It also makes me skeptical that someone else left a similar review and had the exact same problem?? If you have a reservation at woodhaven i would make sure you have an alternate plan. We have stayed at many hotels and bed and breakfast and this has NEVER happened before. There are lots of other B & B's in town. I would recommend staying somewhere else because it doesnt seem that a reservation means much to them.

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
mabb, owner and manager at Inn at Woodhaven, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2009

This guest and her friends booked two rooms for one Sunday night and asked for an early check in. Two days before their arrival they cancelled one room. Then later the same day they called to say they would be coming from a Civil War renactment in town and would have been camping and cooking over an open fire for two days and needed to come even earlier than they had mentioned before. Our normal check in is 3pm or later but quiet often we can have a room ready by 1pm.
She said they now needed to be here by noon so they could bathe and get ready to go to lunch. They also wanted to have the friends who had cancelled the room use the shower and whirlpool too.
I told her it would probably not be ready until 1pm. at the earliest as our guests from the night before did not have to check out until noon.
She said if the room was not ready they would all sit in our parlor and wait. She even mentioned that they would be pretty smelly and dirty from the two days at the reenactment and she hoped they would not make a too big of a mess in our room.
I became concerned about the parlor furniture and the other guests ....and the silk bedspread etc in the room that four people were now going to use. So I called her right back and left a message that we would only be able to accommodate the two people registered for the room.
I did not hear back from them until they arrived two days later.
Since we were very busy checking people out from the night before and trying to get all of our rooms back in order, I left a note on the door for her. We were happy to have her stay and check in 3 hours early and even take the risk of linens being ruined. But the extra two were more than the room could handle.
They refused that option so I called and found them a room around the corner from us at a very nice hotel.
I love historic reenactments and have demonstrated hearth cooking myself at a historic home here in Louisville.

Reviewed October 24, 2004

A quick trip to Louisville had me search on line for a B&B...Woodhaven looked so charming, and to see it in person was so much better. Everything was perfect, the decor, the rooms, the wonderful food, the after-dinner drinks and candy everywhere!! Who could ask for more?...I couldn't! My husband and I are now totally hooked on B&Bs...thank you Woodhaven staff...we had a fabulous time...hope to return when the Christmas decor is up!!

• Stayed: October 2004
2  Thank tyjo
Reviewed June 17, 2004

We received a night here as a Christmas gift. We tried to book it twice, but bad luck kept arising. One time, one of the couple staying there had to be hospitalized. The owner, Marsha, didn't want to make the wife leave. She kindly offered to honor our gift certificate at any time. We stayed in the carriage house in the Derby Room. Tall ceilings, bright and cheerful, exposed brick- very pleasant. Breakfast was delicious, service was gracious. This property is different as it's the only period home outside of downtown Louisville used as a B&B. It is in the east end of Louisville, about a 10 min drive to the airport or downtown, but very close to the city's 2 large Malls, the Mall of St Matthews and Oxmoor Center. It is surrounded by apartments, as very little of the existing land has been kept. However, there is a nice park across the street (Brown) with lovely walking trails. There are restaurants nearby in the Shelbyville Rd and Dupont Circle area. Brekfast was delicious and served in a cheerful dining room. Unlike some B&Bs, we had small individual tables, not banquet style. I also like the flexibility of eating at no set time. We didn't have the opportunity to see the other rooms, but hope to do so on our next visit.

4  Thank LLindaC