“Business Turns to Romance”

Central Park Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 15 Louisville B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 10, 2009

We came to Louisville on business, but it quickly turned to romance. We were going to stay in one of the local hotels, but I am really glad that we changed our plans. Central Park is really a fabulous place in the historic district. It is close to all the local attractions and right across the street from the park. We strolled around St. James Court and we were in awe. The fabulous old homes and fountain were stunning.
The inn was lovely. Our room was fabulous-we had a fireplace in our bathroom with a heart shaped tub. There was also a fireplace in the bedroom and a view of the park. They served wine and cheese in the afternoons and we sat out on the back porch and enjoyed the spring evening. The breakfast was excellent each morning. There was always coffee, tea, soda and treats in the guest refreshment area. Every need was taken care of. We even had down pillows and a down comfortor on the bed. There was a large screen TV and a good selection of movies available for the guests.
We also had a great time at 4th Street Live. This was an incredible trip that we turned business into true pleasure. The only bad part was leaving.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank ChefMarie

Reviewed June 4, 2009

I had a conference at the Kentucky Convention Center and we were to stay at a downtown hotel. We decided to stay off site and find a Bed & Breakfast. The room we stayed in was very small, but it was just my wife and I and we felt very comfortable. Breakfast each morning was yummy. We had free wireless internet. It was an enjoyable experience. There were a few things that were not so great. I did not like that we had to park on the street. There were no incidents, but it would have been nice to be informed of this up front. Also, the TV was in a cabinet and the doors kept closing. We had to use a chair to prop it open. Also you could not see the TV from the bed as the foot posts were high and the TV cabinet was low. We also did not get very good room service. We had to ask staff after four days to come and empty garbage cans. We did get fresh towels every day.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank PastorJeff
Reviewed December 19, 2008

I was invited to stay an extended weekend with friends at the Central Park B&B. This was my second stay - travelling from BC Canada - and I wasn't to be disappointed. The Inn was decorated beautifully for the holiday season and for their participation in the local Christmas Home Tour. During the tour the Inn Keepers, Owners and Volunteers gave guided tours of the Inn's common areas with colorful dialogue on the history of the Inn.

The Inn - and my room were spotless. The bed was heaven with a plush mattress and a down duvet that allowed me to sleep warm and sound.

The high speed internet in my room was welcomed as I need access to my office computer and files.

The 42" LCD Hi Def TV was a treat - as I dont have such a luxury at home yet.

Breakfast was perfect with coffee, juice, fruit, muffins, eggs and ham - portions of which were more than ample.

The Inn Keepers are very friendly and always concerned that your needs are met and that you are comfortable at their Inn.

I had the pleasure of meeting the Owners of the Inn who were lovely people and spent their evening visiting with me and providing history on Louisville, the Derby and things to do around the area.

I would recommend this Inn to everybody, it is the best B&B that I have had the pleasure of staying at.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed December 17, 2008

This is without a doubt the most unique and enjoyable overnight stays I have had. This historical house is absolutely beautiful inside with period pieces of furniture and an eye for detail. The bed I slept in was actually featured in a national magazine. It was so beautiful and I slept like a log.

The owners just happened to be there on site the day that I stayed and I got to know them. They are a delightful couple and are very proud of their B&B. I just could not get over how great the interior of the home was. It was like stepping back in time but with the modern conveniences like flat screen televisions and really comfortable and modern bathrooms.

The manager of the B&B was a delightful gal who made sure that my stay was comfortable. They had cheese and wine at the base of the most magnificant staircase that I have ever seen. I took my breakfast in a beautiful great room on the ground floor off of the parlor which was just as it was when the home was originally built.

When you are in Louisville you must stay there, you will have a really restful and unique experience that you will tell your friends about.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed December 15, 2008

My husband and I had to make a trip home (to Indiana) for a funeral, my mothers and we opted to stay in Louisville so we booked into the Central Park Bed and Breakfast. We stayed there
November 28 thru the 30th. We have stayed at Central Park on two other visits to the north. We could not have asked for a better place to stay. Kevin and Nancy, who are the Inn Keepers are such wonderful people and the owners, Bob and Eva were present at this time also. They treated us like family members. Due to the circumstances of our visit all four of them went out of their way to make sure all our needs were met. Our room was ready when we checked in at 3:15PM on the first day and the bed was so comfortable and the house quiet (except for the occassional siren outside). Breakfast was so delightful each day and if you ask Nancy may give you the recipe for some of the dishes she serves. I enjoyed the quiet time sitting in the living room just watching the Christmas lights on the tree or reading a magazine. The innkeepers and the owners make you feel like you are home.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 10, 2008

My husband and i had a terrible experience at this B&B. When we went to check in at 1pm, they told us to come back at 3pm without asking if we would like to leave our bags. The room we stayed in was beautiful, but there was VERY low water pressure in the sink and I had to wash my face with the tub faucet. Also, the inn keepers, Kevin and Nancy, do not own the b&b and that is reflected in their service. While I was sitting in the living room reading a book, they were yelling to each other across the house about their dinner plans, and in the evenings on both days, the inn keepers and a few other people who were not guests were sitting in the living room having drinks and talking, making it very uninviting to spend time in the common areas. Also, at 5am, Christmas music from the kitchen woke up my husband and me. These are only a few of the bad experiences over our two day stay. I would NEVER stay here again. There are MUCH nicer B&B's in Old Louisville.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank hzajac
RWCP, President/Owner at Central Park Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2008

As the owner and President of Central Park Bed and Breakfast I would like to apologize for any misunderstandings and address the issues that have been raised about your stay with us in this forum you have chosen..

The title of this review:

“You can tell the owners live in California!”

This is an interesting comment because, my wife and I do live in California, however, we were both in the parlors at Central Park when you and your husband arrived at our establishment. We travel to our Inn several times each year, and at this time of the year in particular, for the Christmas home tour which our Inn and two others in Old Louisville have been a part of for the past three years.

To address these individual points please see our response below:

“When we went to check in at 1pm, they told us to come back at 3pm without asking if we would like to leave our bags.”
It is unfortunate that your room was not ready when you arrived early at 1pm, we make every attempt to insure that room are available by the stated check-in time of 3pm and attempt to accommodate the needs of our guests with advance notice (such as an early check in or check out). Although there were no bags with you at 1pm, I do apologize for someone not asking you if you had bags that you would have liked to have left with us prior to your check-in.

“The room we stayed in was beautiful, but there was VERY low water pressure in the sink and I had to wash my face with the tub faucet.”
We thank you for your complement on the appointments of our rooms. We strive to maintain the beauty of the mansion for the enjoyment of our guests.

We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. Upon reading your complaint, we are had the issue addressed (a small piece of calcification in the faucet aerator) Had this issue been brought to our attention at the time, we would have attempted to fix the problem or given you a different room. Our goal is to make our guests stay as pleasant as possible; our staff is very responsive to issues that are brought to their attention.

“Also, the inn keepers, Kevin and Nancy, do not own the b&b and that is reflected in their service.”

The comment as noted here is non specific which makes it impossible to respond to.

For the record Kevin and Nancy Hopper have been the innkeepers for Central Park Bed and Breakfast since July 2007. Reviews of their hospitality as noted in “Trip Advisor” speak for themselves. As the owners of Central Park Bed and Breakfast we have received no complaints about their service.

“While I was sitting in the living room reading a book, they were yelling to each other across the house about their dinner plans,”

During the day to day operation of the mansion their may be conversations about where to go for dinner. As for yelling I do not believe so, if fact during the period in question approximately 500 people toured the first floor during the Christmas Holiday home tour.

“and in the evenings on both days, the inn keepers and a few other people who were not guests were sitting in the living room having drinks and talking, making it very uninviting to spend time in the common areas.”

As for this comment, my wife and I (the owners of Central Park B and B) and one of the innkeepers (Kevin) were enjoying the company of our guests from Canada who were staying in one of the third floor suites. We were in one of the two front parlors (the one with the grand piano) which left the other parlor empty.

Any of our guest can and do elect to join us, the choice is theirs. Or they can choose to relax in the other parlor in front of the inviting fireplace.

We enjoy meeting our guests and listening to their experiences. We feel that it is the meeting of other guests and exchange of ideas that puts us in touch with our clients needs. We use this forum to continue to improve our services and provide what our guests tell us they like about the bed and breakfast experience.

We apologize that you felt that the common areas were uninviting do to the conversations between the owners, innkeepers and other paying guests of the Inn. If you had made your requirements known for the exclusive use of the Inn, we would have been pleased to have you to reserve the entire Inn for your private use.

“Also, at 5am, Christmas music from the kitchen woke up my husband and me.”

There is satellite radio that is provided on the first floor for the enjoyment of our guests and ambience, there is no radio in the kitchen. The radio in the front parlor is kept at a very low level I personally set the level which I can not hear from the second floor. The innkeepers do not go down to the kitchen until 7am.

I do apologize if you and your husband were disturbed.

“These are only a few of the bad experiences over our two day stay.” We are saddened to hear of your disappointment in your stay with us and can assure you that we strive to exceed our guest’s expectations.
I would like to suggest that in the future, if you would make your concerns known during your stay (wherever that may be) that your concerns can be addressed quickly to assure you a more comfortable stay.

“I would NEVER stay here again.” We will leave the door open, just in case.

“There are MUCH nicer B&B's in Old Louisville.”

We are very competitive with our friends around town and invite comparison of the Inn and our amenities to any of the other Band B’s. It has been our goal since we purchased the inn to make it the most luxurious inn and best place to stay in Kentucky.

In closing, please remember that there are two sides to every story and there is much more to this one, I prefer to take the high road here.

Best Regards,
Robert Wessels President/CEO, Central Park Bed and Breakfast LLC

Reviewed September 8, 2008

We had a wonderful time at the Central Park Bed and Breakfast. Our room was beautiful and our breakfast was delicious. They were graciously accommodating to my food allergies. They have created a wonderfully warm environment and we look forward to visiting again in the future.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family