“Family Trip”

Frazier History Museum
Ranked #12 of 178 things to do in Louisville
More attraction details
Owner description: The Frazier History Museum is a world-class museum that provides an unforgettable journey through history with ever-changing and interactive exhibits, daily performances by costumed interpreters and engaging special events and programs. To complement our amazing permanent collection, which includes thousands of items from famous world leaders and one of the country's largest toy soldier displays, the Frazier Museum offers an ever-changing selection of intriguing temporary exhibits. Every day, we offer live historic performances, bringing visitors face to face with some of the people and events that changed the world forever, as well as with average people whose moving and important stories you've probably never heard. The Frazier Museum is located on downtown Louisville's "Museum Row" in a beautiful 100,000-square-foot, state-of-the-art facility originally called the "Doerhoefer Building," a late 19th century, Chicago-style commercial structure. The Frazier Museum has three floors of exhibits, an education center, Museum Store and tournament ring, as well as event spaces available for rent, including a beautiful Rooftop Garden featuring seasonal blooming flowers and our Fourth Floor Loft space that accommodates up to 360 people seated.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
mississippi
69 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 96 helpful votes
“Family Trip”
Reviewed June 25, 2014

I was very excited and shoved this into an already busy schedule in the area, because the website and reviews sounded really interesting, but I was a little disappointed. The location is great downtown. We went in and paid our admission and the girl behind the counter tells us they won't have the "live" show part until later on in the day (so make sure you check beforehand). No problem, I love history.....yet I was at times bored. My older daughter and I enjoyed the displays of the women of Henry the VIII. My youngest enjoyed dressing in a few of the costumes. My husband enjoyed a small section on the Younger Brothers or was it Jessie James I forget. We did enjoy the (I call it American Room) with all types of heritage quilts, flags, and art. IF YOU are a gun enthusiast or armor, you will LOVE it. We did find both the guns and different types of armor interesting, but just so much of it. Oh, one very disappointing thing for the kids was the majority of interactive display items didn't seem to work. We enjoyed some aspects of the museum, but as a whole this was our least favorite of all our activities in the area.

Visited May 2014

• Korean first
iowa
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Nice museum in a great downtown area”
Reviewed June 19, 2014

Enjoyed our visit. Parking available behind the museum. Beautiful building. Great medieval exhibit on the third floor (initial reason for stopping in) as well as civil war and early frontier exhibits on the second floor. Kept losing my husband in the exhibits as he would spent lots of time looking and frequently backtracked. He's a history buff and into firearms so this was a great place for him. Also took a walk outside for a couple blocks to enjoy the architecture. Would go back again.

Visited June 2014
Floyds Knobs, Indiana
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great day at the history museum!”
Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

We recently took our 9 month old daughter during Father's Day to the Frazier History Museum. While our daughter is very young, which forced us to go somewhat quickly through some exhibits, the facility was amazing. Great collection, staff was friendly & we all especially loved the temporary NFL Hall of Fame exhibit. A must for anyone visiting or who loves nearby (like us)!

Kansas City, Missouri
209 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 254 helpful votes
“An enjoyable and interesting place”
Reviewed June 18, 2014

I’m not aware of a lot of other history museums which aren’t connected to a local historic site, so this is a unique and interesting place. Several other reviewers commented that they were not into guns or sword history and I certainly am not either, but I didn’t see those as the major emphasis here. There’s also a lot on the top floor about the British royal family and I quickly tired of that as well, but you have to treat this place cafeteria style and emphasize for yourself what you like and are interested in. That still gives you a lot of choices. The top floor is mostly British history while the second floor is about American history, and then there’s some performing and special exhibit spaces on the ground floor. I especially liked the exhibit about patriotic art and artifacts and the large gift shop was interesting and entertaining too (except they didn’t sell my favorite travel collectible, an embroidered patch). Something I really liked is that live interpreters give presentations regularly throughout the day. We got here late and only saw one; it was Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson fighting and talking about fighting. Maybe I’m being picky, but these are fictional rather than historic characters. Nonetheless, the actors were very good, it was entertaining, and we felt like we got a private show because there were only a couple of other folks in the audience. Anyway, I enjoyed this place a lot, probably more than the Louisville Slugger Museum (which it’s practically across the street from) and hope to get back someday.

Visited May 2014
Brandenburg, Kentucky
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Classy”
Reviewed June 7, 2014

This museum is wonderful. Friendly staff, amazing exhibits. The historical interpretors never disappoint. The location is easy to find/park/walk. You can walk down and enjoy the river before you visit the museum. The antique arms/armory amazing.

Visited March 2014

Been to Frazier History Museum? Share your experiences!