“Nice museum, but overpriced.”

Frazier History Museum
Ranked #26 of 202 things to do in Louisville
More attraction details
Owner description: The Frazier History Museum is a world-class museum that provides an unforgettable journey through history with ever-changing and interactive exhibits, daily performances by costumed interpreters and engaging special events and programs. To complement our amazing permanent collection, which includes thousands of items from famous world leaders and one of the country's largest toy soldier displays, the Frazier Museum offers an ever-changing selection of intriguing temporary exhibits. Every day, we offer live historic performances, bringing visitors face to face with some of the people and events that changed the world forever, as well as with average people whose moving and important stories you've probably never heard. The Frazier Museum is located on downtown Louisville's "Museum Row" in a beautiful 100,000-square-foot, state-of-the-art facility originally called the "Doerhoefer Building," a late 19th century, Chicago-style commercial structure. The Frazier Museum has three floors of exhibits, an education center, Museum Store and tournament ring, as well as event spaces available for rent, including a beautiful Rooftop Garden featuring seasonal blooming flowers and our Fourth Floor Loft space that accommodates up to 360 people seated.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed August 27, 2011

The Frazier History Museum is a nice museum of arms and armor for military fans. I caught a Da Vinci exhibit of models based on his drawings which was fascinating. I also watched a sword fighting demonstration that was cool. But, I think the $18.50 admission fee for adults is way too much and is not in line with the other attractions in Louisville.

All reviews
in 12 reviews
"guns"
in 67 reviews

Reviewed August 15, 2011

This museums was excellent. Very well laid out. Very good exhibits. One of the few places that you can see armaments from the English collection without going to England. Their traveling exhibit on Da Vinci was also excellent. Their interpretors were excellent. Kids would be thrilled at the real sword competitions!

Reviewed August 14, 2011

We've visited the Frazier on several occassions, and this last visit was made to view the traveling Da Vinci: the Genius exhibition. The presentations are always informative and interesting, the displays are well-done, and the museum itself appeals to all ages and interests. Take your young children, your teens, your grandparents - this is a historical museum that lets you enjoy your visit without feeling bored or overwhelmed.

Reviewed August 10, 2011

My wife and I visited on 8/6/2011 with our 11 and 9 year old boys and 2 year old girl. We had gone to the Louisville Slugger Museum before hand and had a nice visit there. The Frazier was just plain fun for us. We started out with an 11:30 sword demonstration which was really done well. The boys thought it was neat and my 2 year old thought it was awesome. That was kind of a surprise for me. We then walked around the suits of armor and felt how heavy chain mail was. The boys enjoyed an exhibit that showed just how strong you needed to be to pull a long bow. In the DeVinci exhibit the boys were shocked at how much that guy worked on in his lifetime. I put together a model of an emergency bridge with my 9 year old that DeVinci had designed. It was a neat experience. The boys particularly liked an octogon of mirrors that you could go inside and see yourself from every angle. I had them close their eyes and spin a couple times while I closed up the door and they had a bit of trouble seeing which mirror opened. There were also many other inventions shown. The large Mona Lisa exhibit would be of interest to the art lovers out there. We then walked through a history of early weapons up to I suppose War of 1812 weapons. I'm not a gun expert but thought it was all well displayed and described. We left tired and satisfied with our visit.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 29, 2011

Our family has been here several times over the past year. It does not look like much from outside, but it is huge inside. We eventually bought the membership pass since we tend to visit here each time we make the trip to Louisville. First off, this museum is geared towards weapons, but there is plenty there for everyone. The kids love it, as there are plenty of hands on activities for them to keep busy with, as well as the multiple rotating live reenactments which everyone enjoys. The neat thing is that the actors have a Q&A session after their skit. The kids get to ask them questions and get hands on with the weapons. The other nice thing about this museum is they have a new centerpiece exhibit every few months which gives you a new reason to go each time. I am a huge history and weapons buff. Even after several trips, I have not gotten to view all the exhibits in as much depth as I would like. There are three floors covering everything from English history, colonial years, local, civil war and western. The arms collection is unlike anything I have ever seen. All types of small arms and interesting tidbits. The admission prices are reasonable and the gift shop is actually really nice. If you are headed to downtown Louisville to hit the slugger tour, or science center, make sure you don’t miss this.