“It depends on your timing”

Mark Payton Glass Center @ The Glassworks Bldg
More attraction details
Owner description: Glassworks houses the Mark Payton Glass Center and Flame Run. See live demonstrations in Glassblowing and Flameworking on our daily tours. Make a project in our Walk-in Workshop. Shop around in one of our two galleries. Hours are 10-5pm Monday - Saturday. Closed Sundays.
Reviewed August 24, 2010

We stopped here on our way from one hotel to another. It is very convenient to I-64 and around the block from the Louisville Slugger factory. There is a pricy store that allows customers to blow their own apple/pumpkin (depends on the season) at certain times.

We had a tour guide for our hour there. We were taken to the second floor where we saw a DVD, the guide discussed some of the models and then were taken to watch a worker putting the finishing touches on a horse head. My one daughter was fascinated and the other daughter was bored. The guide, who does some glass work himself, was knowledgeable and answered all of our questions. Finally we were taken downstairs to see the glasmakers work with the kilns. I think it helps that the glassmakers were doing something of interest to us but you may catch them at a bad time or making something of no interest. It won't blow your socks off but we found it interesting and would recommend it.

1  Thank rizzop
"lesson"
"classes"
"gallery"

Reviewed June 22, 2010

Imagine being asked to pay to roam any office building in downtown Louisville. That's what they ask you to do here. You're given a two-page blurry copy of the "tour guide" and you are sent on your way to roam the halls of the building. I felt like I had been conned. Visit the gift shop (which is free) and save yourself the price of admission.

1  Thank Take_Me_Home_Now
Reviewed March 20, 2010

The Glassworks is a large building with several floors. Here you will find a facility store, gallery, working glass shop and a handful of glass artist. You can also go into what I will call the lobby greeting center and make a glass project with staff assistance. Note - these projects and the glass pieces for sale at the Glassworks are expensive.

In order to see the whole facility you have to pay for a self guided tour. From my perspective this is insane. If I am going to pay to enter I want something. Back are access, otherwise unavailable information - a knowledgeable guide - something. Moreover, if they want to sell me something expensive like original glass art AND charge me to see the place ON MY OWN... something needs to give. I would submit self guided tour cost be applicable to any and all items - including self made projects - purchased.

The place is indeed impressive and you can see the artist at work. Glassworks does produce great work and beautiful glass for many applications. However, having been to several working facilities (including Flame Run @ 828 E. Market in Louisville) and done tours in many of them, I think this tour needs to be reconsidered. Sorry!

Our recommendation - Go to Glassworks and do what can be done for free when you are in the area.

Reviewed May 26, 2007

My wife works in stained glass and so we were looking forward to our vist to the Glassworks in Louisville. We expected to see dozens of craftsmen and women diligently working their trade. Instead we saw a couple of glass blowers working on mediocre projects and one lone craftsman with a blow torch. Most of the building was a ghost town, even though we had been assured by the ticket seller that the place was in full operation. In particular, the architectual studio was completely deserted and the exhibits looked old and dated. To top it off, the gift shop was overpriced.

There are plenty of other good things to see in Louisville, so I would not waste my time with this one.

4  Thank Engineer111