“Decent hotel in a small city”

Wingate by Wyndham Louisville East
Ranked #18 of 97 Hotels in Louisville
Reviewed June 15, 2012

I had neglected to make reservations ahead of time and found that all other hotels in the area were booked solid. Was very glad to get a nice room at the Wingate. Staff was very pleasant and the room was nicely appointed. Unfortunately, there was a previous guest's styrofoam container of take out food in the frig, and it smelled so strongly that it was best left in there. Also, when I turned on the hair dryer the next morning, it made a terrible grinding, clunking sound and died. I was left with wet hair covered in styling product. At the breakfast buffet, the thermos/container for hot water was placed on top of the microwave, so I had to reach up to draw hot water. This could have been disastrous for a shorter person or a child making oatmeal or cocoa. Despite all this, the Wingate was a decent place to stay. Should I travel this route again, I'll check the frig and the hair dryer before I unpack.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Wingate by Wyndham Louisville East

Reviewed May 30, 2012

The first thing I noticed about the Wingate was location - on a hill far in the back of a hotel cluster. After driving six hours, it almost looked like a castle which towered over everything else. Our room was refreshingly clean and neat (my favorite thing about Wingates is spaciousness). The only negative thing is that the shampoo provided in the bathroom was half gone... but we brought our own so it didn't really matter. Other than that, it was a perfect stay.

On a side note - if you're hungry and looking for delivery, don't bother with the two Jimmy John's shops within a couple miles of the Wingate... both refused to deliver (one said they don't deliver to hotels and the other said it was out of range).

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 21, 2012

This is a good hotel with spacious rooms, nice and clean. Good bathroom. Very nice breakfast. Close to restaurants and shops etc. Friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Margaret V
Reviewed March 27, 2012

We were in town for my son's wedding and chose this spot due to location and price. They gave us a great group rate!!! Full breakfast in the morning was wonderful. Also, where else can you check in and get your room key then have the clerk pour you a beer??!! Yep, for $2 you could get a beer!

Beds were very comfortable and the showers were great. Room A/C unit was quiet and did it's job.

When I go back I will absolutely stay here. They have a new and repeat customer.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank sraf06
Reviewed March 24, 2012

I picked this hotel based on the fact it is a smoke-free hotel and had fairly good reviews. (I stayed 2 nights on March 14-15 2012.) Basic king room for my company corporate travel rate of $85/night.

My review has some concerns…read on for details but the high level run through is:

Positives:
Clean throughout, good location, close to several eateries, very basic breakfast (not very impressive, but will do the task and save you time going elsewhere), smoke-free.

Negatives:
Treadmill is broken, light shining on the west side of building causes light to come in more in rooms on that side of hotel, some of the front-desk staff need to find a different industry other than “hospitality”. They need to program their tv’s to come on to a channel, and not just static.

Would I stay again? Likely yes for proper price. If good breakfast means a lot to you, go across the way to cracker barrel.

Details:
Upon arrival, a young man checked me in, simple enough process, though not overly friendly, did the task just fine. I asked for a room near center of hall, away from elevator. I got room 310 which was “centerish”, and even though closer to elevator than I would have liked, I never heard it.. The other girl at the front desk (Later I found out her name was Vanessa) appeared to have an attitude. This would show itself later.
So, I get in the very cozy and clean room; appreciate the cleanliness and the nice "homey" colors. It was getting close to dark so I pulled the blinds. I could tell I was going to have a problem with the light shining in from outside.

Avoid rooms that are around 310 on all floors.... 206, 308, 310, x12, etc... This is because the light on the west side of the building shines up the side of the building to illuminate the hotel sign, and while it does this, it shines brightly into every other room. This was also above the patio area, outside the enclosed pool. (the side you see in the hotel picture on tripadvisor) There are blackout drapes, but if little streams of light from the sides and top and center where curtains don’t quite overlap bother you…you will be annoyed.

I called to the front desk and advised the light was very bright and asked was there another room available. I was advised by the not-so-friendly Vanessa that the hotel was sold out. It was maybe 830 or 9 at night, so I asked if all were checked in already, she said, yes, but I read into her reply that not everyone was really checked in. All she said was they only had suites left and I told her I wasn't looking for an upgrade, simply a room switch on the other side of the building. This wasn't happening -- She was not apologetic at all, acted like it wasn't her problem a guest was unhappy. ....so I settled in by stacking a side chair on top of the luggage stand and scooting this structure as close to the curtain and wall where the curtain was not pulling up flush with the wall. This helped on that side of the curtain.

When trying to turn-in, I tossed and turned for over an hour, and finally I dug through my toiletries bag to find a barrette so I could attempt to hold the curtains together in the middle that weren’t quite meeting. I finally passed out from exhaustion after 1am.

The next morning, I advised a different clerk I needed a different room for my second night. I requested on the EAST side of the building, away from that horrible light. I also asked the name of the girl from the night before. “Vanessa” I mentioned to the gal she wasn’t very hospitable, and it seemed it was not the first time she had heard this complaint. Not only was Vanessa unfriendly and not very helpful, she was inappropriately dressed in a revealing blouse. This should be an embarrassment to the office manager.

After work that 2nd night, I moved into room 217. No problems having the different room for me. First thing to check, was the window and lights from outside…no worries in this room. I slept just fine that evening, but still used my barrette to clip the curtains.

My second night, Vanessa was working again, and I had returned the previous room keys to her on my way out to dinner. I casually mentioned “trying to decide where to eat”…all this rude woman said was “have a good night”. No tips on which places she’d recommend or anything. Just was making simple conversation, she seemed unwilling to even acknowledge with any glimpse of friendliness. She needs to move behind the scenes as she is not “front desk” material.

The 2nd morning headed to the exercise room. Very basic, however, the treadmill is broken. It was displaying an error message

Finally, I’m not prone to leave personal articles in my hotel rooms. But somehow, on this trip, I misplaced my usb phone charger. I did phone back (thankfully Vanessa never answered or I would have gotten nowhere.) Several different gentlemen checked lost and found, checked both rooms, checked behind the night stand. Unfortunately, we could never locate my lost charger unit (I had the cord, but not the part that plugs in) I was glad at least those folks said they checked and I had to trust they did.

I would likely stay at Wingate again because of its smoke-free policy and clean rooms. Great access to I-64 (and I265) and safe part of town. I’ll just be sure upon reserving that I request an EAST side room away from any flood lights!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the east side...tell them you don't want to be anywhere near where the light f...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank KKJACKS
Reviewed March 16, 2012

Had a recent stay here and it was wonderful. Property is clean, the staff is nice and its a good value. Every bit as nice as the Hampton Inn next door, right down to the hot breakfast. Not luxurious, but clean comfortable and convenient.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 27, 2011

We stayed at the Wingate while visiting family for the Christmas holiday. The room was clean and comfortable. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. I would definitely recommend this hotel while visiting the Louisville area.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family