“Breakfast”
Review of Proof on Main

Proof on Main
Reserve with OpenTable
Proof on Main is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 1,801 Restaurants in Louisville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Cross street: 7th
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Visited the restaurant for breakfast and it was great.
Service was top notch and I love the artwork throughout, although we found the exploding seagulls subjective to taste.
I had Lox w/bagel/cream cheese/red onions & it was excellent.

There are newer reviews for Proof on Main

Reviewed December 31, 2012

The food and service is always great. Have been there a fee times and that is a constant tjat does not change. The decor is always changing and is great for clients as it makes the visit more that just business and a meal.

1  Thank amacwow
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Should have looked at the menu before booking, but we wanted to not leave the hotel for dinner.

Good Wine Offerings. Fun Bourbon flights.

Excellent Bison Steak Tartare.

Salads were good, but not memorable.

We both got the Bison Burgers. They were a little too charred on the outside for my liking, but perfectly medium rare in the middle. Good Fries.

We were too full for dessert, but loved the cotton candy at the end.

Would have to have Steak- preferably Bison added to the menu to return.

1  Thank Brilynn79
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Proof on Main is a restaurant embedded in the nationally recognized boutique Hotel, 21C and it complements the style of the hotel perfectly.

TIP: Go an hour or so early and check out the art in 21C..and you have to check out the bathrooms on the 1st floor.

The restaurant is well lit, we at at about 7pm, on a Saturday..wasn't too busy, but by the time we left about 9pm...the place was busy, but not too loud. Taller ceilings help with this. I'm sensitive to loud restaurants when I'm trying to have a date with my wife and actually communicate with something other than hand signals...so this place passes the test, at least on this night it did. There is a parking garage just behind the hotel, so don't fight for a street slot, just pull around back and pay the $5, then it's a half block walk to the hotel/restaurant.

Cocktails...wham! This place can cook up a cocktail. I had the "Golf" a Scotch infused with ginger, bitters, a little simple sugar and a hint of orange... My wife had Bricks and Ivy...it had cucumber in it and I believe vodka and a hint of lime....very, very good!

For an appetizer we shared the Falafel... it was ok... I'm sure if you like Falafel, you'll be fine with it..we didn't have much of an idea what to expect, so I'd rate it as "good."

Now, dinner... I had the Marksbury Farm Bone-in Pork Chop...perfectly prepared, juicy...probably about a half pound...nice portion ($29). The hominy and braised cabbage that went along with it were perfect. My wife had the star of the show, the Ky. Bison Burger ($17). Wow!! She didn't eat but half of it (it's probably a half pound) with applewood smoked bacon and Tillamook Cheddar...Medium prepared...juicy and DElicious...and the fries that come with it? OMG....yes... homemade, slightly larger than shoestring size...and from what we were told, cooked in bone marrow for a delicious finish...I was so glad my wife left so many on her plate, because I cleaned them UP!

The service was excellent. I wish they had a Somali-er on staff, or if they did, they didn't tell us. The waiter was very nice, but it would be great to have someone to help people like us pair up a wiine... The wine list is nice, not too big, choices at both prices ranges (more at the top end) of course, remember this is a very nice boutique hotel.

Dinner with a bottle of wine, two pre-dinner drinks, one appetizer and no dessert, and tip $125...good value!

We skipped dessert since I already had mine (her fries) and went to the bar for a night cap. The bar is very nice, and not too crowded (at least it wasn't then)...we got seats at the bar and I had the Bricks and Ivy this time and my wife ordered the Golf...

Proof on Main is....well...on Main street..and Louisville has done and excellent job building up the West Main Street with restaurants and bars, art galleries... If you like...take a walk on main when you're done..we did for three or four blocks... Right across from 21C (on 7th street) is St. Charles... the bar was closed to a private party when we tried to have another drink...but we've heard from several people it's a great place.

Summary...food is good. As I've posted though in many of my reviews... the BEST food, service in Louisville is Le Relais at Bowman Field... but this place is very good, and we've already booked a room for the 21C New Year's Eve party and another couple is joining us for dinner at Proof that night... Check it out, you'll be glad you did.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

I needed a last minute reservation. My first choice near the Kentucky Center could not accommodate our party of 5. I then called Proof on Main. Not only did they find a way to seat us, but did it quickly and efficiently and with such grace. This was a great first impression. When we arrived we were seated almost immediately and introduced to our server. Chad was very well informed about the wine list, when I made a selection he recommended a very unique substitute--introducing our table to an amazing small batch wine with a bottle hand painted by the vintner. It was a bottle we will be keeping in our collection of great bottles of wine. Then our meal was ordered. We had a limited time due to our Louisville Ballet Nutcracker showtime. Our waiter was continually aware of our timing, moved heaven and earth for our dinner without rushing the experience. Our table ordered the special that night--bone-in buffalo tenderloin. One party ordered it medium and I ordered mine medium rare. It was so tender, so flavorful, just the right temperature and totally amazing. We all agreed that medium rare is the preferred temperature. The others at our table ordered the locally raised chicken and the pork chop. Everyone raved about their meals. They were so large that two plates had leftovers. Solely for the sake of science, I agreed to eat the left overs. AMAZING. After eating my meal and being totally satisfied in all regards, I could not get enough of the chicken and then used the wonderful bread to absorb the gravy. The pork chop was the last to be addressed and to my utter surprise and complete enjoyment the pork was just as good, just as tender and flavorful. Rarely do I get 3 entrees in one seating, and NEVER have I been so thoroughly pleased and whelmed by them all. I do not recommend eating this way at home and certainly without adult supervision. But get this, I was not stuffed, I was just amazed. Well, then the waiter brought a cast iron dish with pink cotton candy when we declined dessert. I passed, thinking first that it was pink and I usually do not do pink and second due to past experiences of cotton candy at the county fair. My table implored me to at least try the treat. I indulged their pleas and to my utter amazement--the fifth time in one night at the same restaurant--it was the absolute best cotton candy I have ever had. It melted in your mouth the minute it hit your tongue, it left a wonderfully vanilla splash in your mouth. Each time the plate came around the table--4 in all--I was in awe. My compliments to the chef. This was one of those meals when you felt compelled to shake the hand of the chef. My best compliments are reserved for this Louisville restaurant. The proof of good dining is Proof on Main.

1  Thank JosephatFremont