“Sleep with a Red Penguin”

21c Museum Hotel Louisville
Ranked #5 of 95 Hotels in Louisville
Palmyra, Indiana
“Sleep with a Red Penguin”
Reviewed February 13, 2011

No Red Penguin showed up in our room! We was celebrating our wedding anniversary, Valentines Day, and my birthday and you would of thought we would of had a penguin visit. We did get a nice card and I appreciated it.
The services from the staff was excellent!! We was disappointed when the staff told us that we would not be able to eat at Proof of Main because it was full. We did get room service, the food was good but not a good value. The room was nothing to fancy, there was a support beam you had to walk around to get in the room. The art was wonderful to look at throughout the hotel. I was really expecting a penguin!!!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank saydee02

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Korean first
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed January 3, 2011

We loved this place. The art throughout the hotel made the place fun and different. The art wa scontemporaey but not weird. Thoughtful and fun. The room was very friendly including an aeron chair, great shower, comfy king bed, good lighting, spacious, modern tasteful decor, and free wifi.

The neighborhood had numerous museums, restaurants and galleries nearby. Valet parking was $21/night but there was cheaper parking right next door.

Staff was helpful and friendly. They all seemed to enjoy working there.

I enjoy sitting in a lobby to people watch and didn't think those seats were comfy

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Uncle_Spike
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed November 19, 2010

I couldn't stand one more night in the large chain hotel I checked into (I'll review them separately) and found 21c on TripAdvisor. during a desperate search the first night. I was intrigued by the description of the art (being an old art history major) and called them, and got a room for the next several nights. They were great, from the folks at the front desk to the housekeeping to the restaurant and room service folks. I loved the art, and what a relief to come back at the end of a hard day and encounter something with a sense of humor! The food was excellent, the room was great and for once I didn't have to fight with the maintenance staff to get the room cool at night! It was a little noisy during the day, but it is a museum that is open to the public, after all. The fitness room was minimal, but everything worked. I wish I had had more time to explore the art galleries in the neighborhood- maybe next time. It was a little pricey, but for once I felt that I got my money's worth.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank drbbg
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed November 13, 2010

We were blown away by this lovely modern hotel. The quality of the decor and food reminded me of a nice botique hotel in SF or LA. Louisville must be very proud to have this gem of a hotel right downtown. We have told several friends how awesome it is since returning home.

It was cool not only to have art in the lobby-- but to have interesting and even challenging art. Talk about beating expectations. We won't be staying anywhere else in Louisville.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Home_and_Dry_PSB
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed November 9, 2010

My birthday gift to my husband this year was an overnight stay at 21c (sans the kids). The rooms are both comfortable and artsy, and come complete with an iPod filled with an eclectic array of tunes, a great mini bar, and lovely bath products. The valets and desk attendants were warm and helpful--no pretentiousness here. The "museum" part of the hotel features a fairly extensive gallery of photos, sculptures, and mixed-media displays. Additionally, there is art of one kind or another tucked here and there throughout. And then there are those red penguins that line the top of the building and are continually relocated around the hotel. All in all, it was the perfect getaway for my husband and me.

Fort Wayne
Reviewed October 27, 2010

I will start with the good things;
- Kyle upon check-in was fantastic, truly a very attentive and informative person and very easy to work with
- Ian in the bar was also just awesome, very friendly and I enjoyed talking with him
- Crystal was also fantastic in helping prepare a few surprises for me

Now unfortunately for the not so good. When I had the room booked, we booked a standard room, which was great, however upon just returning from 3 months overseas I was hoping to surprise my wife with a little more and I was looking at the website on the ride over and it showed other rooms available, this was 21C's website, however when I inquired at check-in about upgrading I was told that you were booked solid. OK, that isnt ideal but that's fine. However, upon also reviewing the website in my room, I was able to make a reservation online for an upgraded room so I am not sure what was going on there. That in and of itself would not have been that big deal but as you will see it is the additive quality here that bears mentioning it.

There was apparently a party for a local business in the hotel that evening, with several hundred people. Also just fine as I know that hotels cater to this type of event for sales. However, with the thumping of the music right beneath my room (Rm 201) until the wee hours of the morning, it was one of the worst hotel stays I have ever had. We could not even have dinner there in the hotel as we were not part of the party and were told that there was a great Mexican restaurant right around the corner. Finally after coming to my wits end, I went to the front desk two separate times to ask about moving to another room, maybe higher up, and again told that the hotel was full. Yet, once again I was able to make a reservation online. The final time I went to the front desk, as we could not even hear our TV, let alone have some intimate time (remember it had been 3 months since I had seen my wife) I was told "oh yeah, ha ha, don't worry they are done at 1:30 or so"

Things began to quiet down in wee hours of the morning with the thumping music only to discover the party had moved upstairs. I am not sure if it was a hospitality suite or just an unscheduled after party but the noise in the hallway was unbelievable. Again, the front desk blew me off and told me not to worry, it would quiet down soon enough. I was finally able to get some much needed sleep at 5:00 or so which is ridiculous. Then to request a late-check out and be told no, was just the icing on the cake. We checked out, requested our vehicles and at no point did one single person ask me how my stay was, which was disappointing, as I obviously had lots to say. At that point we couldn't get out of there fast enough. So my one night in the states with my wife before heading back was a complete and total bust. Thanks!

Not to mention the the $200+ we spent on the room, but also the $350+ we spent on drinks, lunch, breakfast etc it was a total waste and I am completely disappointed. While a few people did an excellent job of customer service (Kyle, Ian & Crystal) I don't think I have ever felt like second-class so badly before and to be completely candid, we could have gone to the Motel 6 and saved ourselves the money and headache.

8 Thank Rpearl2003
craigpishotti, General Manager at 21c Museum Hotel Louisville, responded to this review, November 24, 2010
It was good speaking with you and thank you for your time. I can’t apologize enough and want to make it up to you. What you experienced has never happened before and I want you to come back and experience 21c in its true form. If you are willing, please contact me so that I can arrange your next visit personally and I will be absolutely certain it is fantastic!
Brookfield, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 27, 2010

Stayed for 3 nights early in October, our second visit since 2008. Actually returned to Louisville just to stay here and also to see the St. James Court Art Fair. 21C was still as good as the first time. Loved it!