“Great staff, fun surroundings,can't wait to go back”

21c Museum Hotel Louisville
Ranked #5 of 100 Hotels in Louisville
Reviewed February 1, 2010

We had to travel to louisville for an award ceremony for our 16 year old daughter who took her best friend. We were courteuosly greeted at the curb by Dale who took care of all our needs for the rest of our stay. The Limo service was a blast for our doughter and the in room service was fast and spot on. We were only there one night but on the morning check out the staff at the front desk was young, helpful and enthusiastic and guided us to a great restaurant spott across town. Our rooms were new, clean, nice and the beds were great. We were on the third floor and there was no urban noise to bother us.We look forward to our return

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,309)

Reviewed January 31, 2010

The 21c is amazing from check in to check out. This hotel is world class, yet friendly and warm. I loved the eclectic nature of the decor and the diversity of the staff. They were always eager and willing to assist. We NEVER got the door for ourselves. Very welcoming and will definitely visit again. We had an amazing meal at Proof on Main and delicious wine from an extensive list. We were within walking distance of other amazing restaurants and local attractions. Simple luxury!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 28, 2010

This hotel is fabulous -from the crazy artwork to the the rooms which are big and beautiful and the amenities are wonderful. The staff is so congenial and helpful - I've never stayed in a place like this before. We came out one morning and saw we had a flat tire - no problem. The doorman called someone who came out with a rolling generator and blew up our tire. The artwork is amazing and creative. The rooms are just beautiful and not that expensive for what you get. I love this place and will continue to go back time and again.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 24, 2010

This hotel of distinction has a long way to go on improving it's housekeeping service & doorman service. Let's just say that if the only doors you can use are ones that have to be pushed open yourself, a doorman should be there to open them for you. On my stay they fell short, either not being there or out in the front of the hotel chatting it up with each other. Also, a hotel with the accolades this one has should be spot on with their housekeeping services. I had to contend with a shower head that would not maintain a position and dangled from the wall. The housekeeping staff missed my room during their turn-down service rounds and it was not resolved to my satisfaction after a call to the front desk and a subsequent visit by a nice gentleman who was clearly out of his element in turn=down service. Did not receive a call back from the housekeeping manager after being put into her voice mail by the front desk while I try to recover a piece of clothing I left in the room.

This is a quirky hotel has interesting features you won't find anywhere else. I think it's overhyped and that's too bad. A hotel's reputation is only as good as the satisfaction of it's last guest.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice hotel overall and others on the staff were very attentive. But to maintain a level of success everyone has to be on their toes 24/7. I booked the room on Hotwire for $89 and I'm glad I did. In doing so I was able to stay in a nice room at a value price. It was worth $89 but if I paid rack rates at this hotel I would have certainly felt much less forgiving.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 23, 2010

When I first learned learned about the 21C Museum Hotel I was intrigued by the concept, although it did cross my mind since I work in a contemporary art museum, how this would really feel --- like working late? I have to say this place is one of my favorite places to be!
The 21C is in a restored warehouse in historic downtown. The building's renovation is a perfect and comfortable balance between architectural preservation and contemporary design. The rooms are smartly decorated and appointed with only what you need, including a sense of humor, which actually starts outside, look up! The gallery spaces including the lobby present changing exhibitions, supporting newer artists as well as established ones.
The staff are friendly and professional. On my most recent stay, the front desk staff were extraordinarily gracious and proactive upon my very early morning arrival after a long flight. Wonderful hospitality.
The bar/lounge at Proof is a beautiful space in the daytime with the giant windows and natural light, and it is comfortable and fun at night. The menu showcases local ingredients and purveyors, and everything I have tried has been delicious, including the Bourbon!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed January 20, 2010

I really hate writing this review. If this were almost any other hotel, I would write a glowing, over the top review. However, this hotel was rated the best in the country. That's a standard that's hard to measure up to. Make no mistake, this is a world class hotel on par with more famous hotels. But here's the catch: it doesn't meet their standards. My comments are really just nits - but when you're rated the #1 hotel in the U.S., your customers notice when they arrive in the rain with two suitcases and the doorman isn't there to open the door, and the check in clerks are all huddled around one computer; when two gay men who are obviously together are continually asked "will this be two checks;" and finally when your room is cleaned, used glasses are left and coffee service items not replaced. Again, nothing here should dissuade you from visiting the hotel - however I wouldn't fly to Louisville just to stay here (to see Louisville, certainly, but not just to stay here)

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 20, 2010

I must say that I think this place is a bit overrated. Yes, it is new, trendy, fairly clean and unique, BUT, it has the feel of a young, single, self-centered friends not quite "pulled together" apartment!! So many odd things that I can't even describe them all. We arrived very late and there was no one at the valet area at all. Once inside with all of our bags, we were eventually greeted by the gentleman behind the reception desk. Check- in was a bit aloof yet smooth and efficient. There was never an offer to assist with our luggage. My husband went to locate the "off-site" parking while I went to find our room with our two young children. It was now after midnight and I just wanted to get them into bed. We had to literally push our way through a group of intoxicated middle-aged guests "playing with" the elevator wall display art . Our multiple "excuse us" requests were completely ignored by the entire group. Once in the room, we were pleased with the high ceilings and spacious feel of the room. The bathroom was small but very clean and the soaps/shampoo were lovely. The linens were also very nice but by the time I got in the bed I was exhausted. I was really expecting to sleep soundly. The bed was so oddly soft and seemed to have a serious pull to the center that I spent the next 7 hours with a backache and the feeling that I was hanging on the edge and rolling downhill. I got almost NO sleep!! When we did get up it was my eleven year old son who was the first to say that that was the worst bed that he has EVER slept on!!!! I will have to agree with him and we travel a lot! Oh, well! It was a new day, so we headed down to the restaurant for breakfast. We saw several employees in the hallway and the only one who greeted us was from housekeeping. After my son literally ran into me after seeing the nude mural in the bar area, we were seated in a lovely window booth at Proof. I decided to keep an open mind of this unusual hotel while I waited for our server. He did eventually arrive then handed me the menu UPSIDE DOWN. Is is just me or are they not quite there yet?? Breakfast was delicious. While eating I remembered a tripadvisor reviewer's suggestion to visit the ladies room. After breakfast we headed out to the lobby. Both my husband and my son followed my daughter and me into the women's restroom after seeing the full frontal of Jackie-O in the lobby!! It is hard to stay in your lane of the hallway and avoid oncoming traffic after seeing that image. VERY ODD- is all of that really art???!!!!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family