“Not a top hotel, quirky place with service not up to par”

21c Museum Hotel Louisville
Ranked #5 of 95 Hotels in Louisville
Ohio
“Not a top hotel, quirky place with service not up to par”
Reviewed January 24, 2010

This hotel of distinction has a long way to go on improving it's housekeeping service & doorman service. Let's just say that if the only doors you can use are ones that have to be pushed open yourself, a doorman should be there to open them for you. On my stay they fell short, either not being there or out in the front of the hotel chatting it up with each other. Also, a hotel with the accolades this one has should be spot on with their housekeeping services. I had to contend with a shower head that would not maintain a position and dangled from the wall. The housekeeping staff missed my room during their turn-down service rounds and it was not resolved to my satisfaction after a call to the front desk and a subsequent visit by a nice gentleman who was clearly out of his element in turn=down service. Did not receive a call back from the housekeeping manager after being put into her voice mail by the front desk while I try to recover a piece of clothing I left in the room.

This is a quirky hotel has interesting features you won't find anywhere else. I think it's overhyped and that's too bad. A hotel's reputation is only as good as the satisfaction of it's last guest.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice hotel overall and others on the staff were very attentive. But to maintain a level of success everyone has to be on their toes 24/7. I booked the room on Hotwire for $89 and I'm glad I did. In doing so I was able to stay in a nice room at a value price. It was worth $89 but if I paid rack rates at this hotel I would have certainly felt much less forgiving.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Korean first
West Coast, California
Reviewed January 23, 2010

When I first learned learned about the 21C Museum Hotel I was intrigued by the concept, although it did cross my mind since I work in a contemporary art museum, how this would really feel --- like working late? I have to say this place is one of my favorite places to be!
The 21C is in a restored warehouse in historic downtown. The building's renovation is a perfect and comfortable balance between architectural preservation and contemporary design. The rooms are smartly decorated and appointed with only what you need, including a sense of humor, which actually starts outside, look up! The gallery spaces including the lobby present changing exhibitions, supporting newer artists as well as established ones.
The staff are friendly and professional. On my most recent stay, the front desk staff were extraordinarily gracious and proactive upon my very early morning arrival after a long flight. Wonderful hospitality.
The bar/lounge at Proof is a beautiful space in the daytime with the giant windows and natural light, and it is comfortable and fun at night. The menu showcases local ingredients and purveyors, and everything I have tried has been delicious, including the Bourbon!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Washington, D.C.
Reviewed January 20, 2010

I really hate writing this review. If this were almost any other hotel, I would write a glowing, over the top review. However, this hotel was rated the best in the country. That's a standard that's hard to measure up to. Make no mistake, this is a world class hotel on par with more famous hotels. But here's the catch: it doesn't meet their standards. My comments are really just nits - but when you're rated the #1 hotel in the U.S., your customers notice when they arrive in the rain with two suitcases and the doorman isn't there to open the door, and the check in clerks are all huddled around one computer; when two gay men who are obviously together are continually asked "will this be two checks;" and finally when your room is cleaned, used glasses are left and coffee service items not replaced. Again, nothing here should dissuade you from visiting the hotel - however I wouldn't fly to Louisville just to stay here (to see Louisville, certainly, but not just to stay here)

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 20, 2010

I must say that I think this place is a bit overrated. Yes, it is new, trendy, fairly clean and unique, BUT, it has the feel of a young, single, self-centered friends not quite "pulled together" apartment!! So many odd things that I can't even describe them all. We arrived very late and there was no one at the valet area at all. Once inside with all of our bags, we were eventually greeted by the gentleman behind the reception desk. Check- in was a bit aloof yet smooth and efficient. There was never an offer to assist with our luggage. My husband went to locate the "off-site" parking while I went to find our room with our two young children. It was now after midnight and I just wanted to get them into bed. We had to literally push our way through a group of intoxicated middle-aged guests "playing with" the elevator wall display art . Our multiple "excuse us" requests were completely ignored by the entire group. Once in the room, we were pleased with the high ceilings and spacious feel of the room. The bathroom was small but very clean and the soaps/shampoo were lovely. The linens were also very nice but by the time I got in the bed I was exhausted. I was really expecting to sleep soundly. The bed was so oddly soft and seemed to have a serious pull to the center that I spent the next 7 hours with a backache and the feeling that I was hanging on the edge and rolling downhill. I got almost NO sleep!! When we did get up it was my eleven year old son who was the first to say that that was the worst bed that he has EVER slept on!!!! I will have to agree with him and we travel a lot! Oh, well! It was a new day, so we headed down to the restaurant for breakfast. We saw several employees in the hallway and the only one who greeted us was from housekeeping. After my son literally ran into me after seeing the nude mural in the bar area, we were seated in a lovely window booth at Proof. I decided to keep an open mind of this unusual hotel while I waited for our server. He did eventually arrive then handed me the menu UPSIDE DOWN. Is is just me or are they not quite there yet?? Breakfast was delicious. While eating I remembered a tripadvisor reviewer's suggestion to visit the ladies room. After breakfast we headed out to the lobby. Both my husband and my son followed my daughter and me into the women's restroom after seeing the full frontal of Jackie-O in the lobby!! It is hard to stay in your lane of the hallway and avoid oncoming traffic after seeing that image. VERY ODD- is all of that really art???!!!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank mamamia107
evansville, indiana
Reviewed January 12, 2010

Our daughter was home over the Holiday's and mentioned, 21c. She works in high
fashion/decor in Dallas, Texas and has an Art History Degree from DePauw University.
She mentioned, you and Dad should try this new hotel in Louisville. She stated, it was
rated in January 2010, as the top-scoring property in the United States, in what once
was a tobacco & bourbon warehouse....9,000 sq.ft. of exhibition space filled with
contemporary art. Original brickwork, arches and prismatic glass transoms. Rooms are
very artsy in a minimalist, high-end way....Herman Miller chairs and it wouldn't be
Kentucky without silver mint julep cups...would it?
At the spur of the moment New Year's Eve, we decided to book 21c. Upon arriving in downtown Louisville, I first noticed the immense construction going on in their downtown area along the river front. They are building a new arena and remodeling the downtown area, it looks fabulous! The hotel 21c exterior is remarkable and penguins are located on an upper ledge. Basically, while driving on 64 east/west, looking south, you can see the hotel and the very RED penguins between the buildings. There is also a relatively large, exquisite chandelier hanging outdoors on the street....mixing vintage with new....

Upon entering the hotel, we were mesmerized by the decor and plentiful art pieces
everywhere.... The lobby is exciting and vigorating to your senses....

We made dinner reservations while checking in and the dining was remarkable and decor. Our room was exceptional and spacious. I especially loved the brick wall behind the bed with weeping mortar, looked very old world with an added touch of the red
penguin pictures....ultra modern while mixing vintage at the same time..... This hotel is
not the same old look, that Marriott/W Hotels, etc....keeps on producing.....so boring!
You feel a sense of aura when entering and you know you've found your favorite
hotel in the entire United States and your night will be a memorable one you can remember for years! The hotel personnel were genuinely nice and wanted to
assist in every possible way, making sure all guests were greeted and welcomed.
I personally love the old world charm mixing old with new. 21c has a grandeur feeling when entering and stays with you, even after departing your old world adventure.... I would give 21c an A+ and when traveling in the future, I look forward to staying in their time pieces of the future!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank janetleeschultheis
Etown Ky
Reviewed January 4, 2010

From the moment I walked thru the door, til the time of check out, it was pure luxury. Everyone was so nice and helpful. The room was fantastic. The art work alone is enough to bring you to 21c. Proof on Main was so much fun. The staff at Proof really make you feel special. The food and drinks are served in such a friendly manner that I didn't want to leave. Friends from Lou. met me there and they too loved it. You have to stay there to really appreciate what they can offer. I will be back.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
Louisville, KY
Reviewed January 4, 2010

I booked a room at 21C as a Christmas gift to myself, as I was curious about the rave reviews and the hype surrounding this "big-city" hotel in my own "small-city" hometown of Louisville.

From the moment I arrived and stepped into the lobby, I felt like I had entered a different world. The artwork was chic, provocative, modern, and intriguing. The staff were professional and pleasant. Quirky and fun surprises waited around every corner.

My room was no exception: Exposed brick walls and classic lines, a continued artistic theme, luxurious bedding, modern amenities, and pampering touches awaited me.

I had booked a massage at the spa; It was wonderful! The fitness center was small, but state-of-the-art. The sauna and steam room (coed, so plan on bringing a suit or a big towel!) left me feeling thoroughly relaxed.

I had planned on ordering room service from Proof, the four star restaurant in the hotel. I was tempted into going into the cozy little bar instead. I sipped a drink and perused the menu. The bartender was able to chat with me very knowledgeably about the menu. I chose to get grilled octopus as an app and Bucatini Carbonara as the entree. What can I say except that it was exquisite? The prices are reasonable for dining of this quality and the staff, again, were all very friendly.

All in all, the experience lived up to the reviews and the hype. I think everyone should stay at 21C at least once, even if they live in the area. The only small point that I could even mention as a negative is that the mini-bars in the rooms are electronically sensitive. I chose to root through the selections, which added an accidental $8 charge to my bill. It was promptly removed by the front desk when I mentioned it. Since then I have had hotel management contact me with a personal email to check on my experience and respond immediately to the very tiny complaint about the mini-bar.

A stay at 21C is not only a decision you won't regret, but will create a memory that you will treasure for a long time.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo