“"An unexpected gem"”

Ranked #5 of 95 Hotels in Louisville
Kentucky
“"An unexpected gem"”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We stayed here in early October and found the hotel to be an unexpected pleasure. The rotating art exhibit is just one of the many reasons that we intend to return in the very near future. With the revitalization going on currently in downtown Louisville we can explore all the new venues and have the opportunity to view new art at 21c, too!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Laura S, Associate Sales Manager at 21c Museum Hotel Louisville, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Hi Linda,
Thanks for sharing your thoughts about your visit! I'm glad you mentioned all of the new development that's happening in Downtown Louisville--there's always something to see at the theaters or arena, and there are new restaurants and shops opening nearby. 21c is something to see in itself with our changing art exhibitions and restaurant Proof on Main--it's the perfect "homebase" for a visit to Louisville! We look forward to having you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Korean first
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Reviewed November 5, 2013

We were in Louisville to attend a concert at The Kentucky Center/Whitney Hall. The 21c is located just a short walk across the street. The art gallery lobby was really interesting and large! We dined at the hotel restaurant pre-concert and it was absolutely delicious. I suggest making a reservation, especially if you are on a time frame like tickets to the symphony. (You need about 2hrs for appetizer/dinner/desert). We even came back to the bar in the restaurant after the show. Full of cool-hip people having cocktails. The bar is a little small, but it looked like the place to be!

Room Tip: I always request a quiet room away from the elevators wherever I stay
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for choosing 21c during your visit to Louisville. 21c is in the perfect location for dinner and a show being in walking distance from theaters and music venues. We hope to see you next time you're in Louisville for a night out!
Houston
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Wonderful staff, innovative décor, comfortable and innovative. The front desk was terrific and all the 21c Team members were fabulous. Very professional and attentive. Rooms are well appointed and comfortable. Nice bar and great restaurant. Explore the hotel and look closely at the decorations. Upon closer inspection some things are more interesting than upon first glance. The brand deserves its accolades and awards.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank SBF2
Thank you for writing a review about your stay at 21c Louisville. That's very kind of you to mention our Team--I will be sure to pass along your compliments! Be sure to come back in the coming months to explore our new museum exhibitions.
North Canton, Ohio
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Stayed here for three nights in late October and had a wonderful experience... The hotel lobby is great and properly sets the tone for the whole 21c experience. I am not a big modern art fan, but I enjoyed and appreciated the provocative art pieces throughout the public areas.

The rooms are fantastic...very comfortable, functional, well-designed, great lighting, spacious, etc. I was upgraded from an atrium-view room to an outside room, which was very nice. Loved the huge king bed with great linens...even king-sized pillows, which you rarely find even in very upscale hotels...loved, loved the Nespresso machine...what great coffee!...loved the big bathtub...loved the cordless phone. I cannot even think of anything that would improve the rooms. Unlike some other reviewers, I experienced very little street noise and no noise from other rooms. There was some hallway noise, especially from closing doors. There was an unusually large gap between the floor and the bottom of the entry door, which probably exacerbates this problem. However, I sleep with ear plugs so it really wasn't much of an issue for me.

The service was absolutely perfect. When I called for ice, it was immediately delivered. One night, when I came back to the hotel, I asked at the front desk for fresh ice for my room. I went directly to my room and found housekeeping already waiting outside my door with it...wow!! One experience in particular completely impressed me...the room service menu indicates breakfast is delivered until either 10 or 10:30 a.m. (I forget which)...I was on vacation so I slept in one morning but still wanted breakfast...I called room service at about noon and asked if I could get breakfast, never expecting a positive response, and they immediately said "no problem"...what hotel does that?!?! Most places, even really nice ones with great service, would not accommodate that request, even if you are only 15 minutes past their deadline. And the bellmen/doormen are so friendly, so helpful, so great...and good-looking!

I enjoyed my visit to Louisville but found that, unfortunately, it is not a great walking city. Everything is really spread out, even for someone who is used to doing a lot of walking. There are few good restaurants or shops right around the hotel. You have to go several blocks to find even a few decent places. Then, those few places are isolated by themselves. I would walk another several (maybe 6-8) blocks and find another few good shops. Plus, shops seem to close early and/or at random. My first evening, I walked to NuLu (I think that is how you write the name) which is perhaps 20-25 minutes away, leaving at 5 or 5:30 p.m. I did not pass a single open shop (that I was interested in) during my entire walk there. I had dinner at Rye, which was very good, and wanted to walk back to the hotel but didn't feel comfortable doing so, even at 7:30-8 p.m., because of the lack of activity between there and the hotel, so I ended up calling a cab. The next late afternoon, I walked back to NuLu hoping to go through some of the shops before dinner but many either closed early (before 5 p.m.) or were just randomly closed. Rather disappointing! I also heard that Highlands and another area had good shops and restaurants but you had to drive to both areas from the hotel, which I really dislike doing, so I ended up not going to either. I much prefer cities where I can just park my car and walk.

A parking suggestion...skip the valet parking at $25/day and use the parking lot on the same block for $7/day. The latter naturally does not include in-and-out privileges but is very convenient and much less expensive

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Laura S, Assocaite Sales Manager at 21c Museum Hotel Louisville, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Hi Pamela,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed and lovely review about your stay at 21c Louisville. I am glad you mentioned your experience with In-Room Dining. We are very lucky to have such an awesome team of people who truly take care of our guests. They go out of their way to make sure each and every guest has a great experience here. Thank you for your feedback, and we hope your travels bring you back soon.
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed October 30, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

One of the greatest small hotels in the country. Interesting lobby and open space, great rooms and a wonderful restaurant. It is a great place for a romantic weekend or just to stay one night to celebrate a special occasion

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Ray,
Thank you for sharing such a kind review about your stay at 21c Louisville! I am so glad to hear you found our property to be one of the best boutique properties in the country. We hope to see you again soon!
United States
Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

Cannot wait to return for another stay and looking forward to trying their hotels in other cities. Immaculate, beautiful but simply appointed spaces and accommodations , great bar and restaurant and outstanding service. Worth the cost. Fabulous hotel I can highly recommend.

• Stayed September 2013
Hi Marianne,
I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to 21c Louisville. We would love to see you at our new properties in Cincinnati and Bentonville--You'll love them too!
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Was looking for a close to home weekend get away, and this was beyond perfect. Beautiful rooms, great amenities (cool bar/restaurant) and spa. But the best was the art collection! Guests have access to the galleries 24/7! The location could not be better, lots to do within walking distance. Staff is very accommodating and knowledgable about the area. We did the Got Art? package and went for a glass blowing session- Made beautiful ornaments!

Room Tip: go for the city view. a few dollars more, but worth it
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Jay,
Thank you for choosing 21c for your weekend getaway! It sounds like you took full advantage of your time here. I'm glad you were able to experience Proof on Main, the spa, art galleries and nearby museums and activities. We hope to see you during your next getaway in the future.