“Interesting visit, but small room”

21c Museum Hotel Louisville
Ranked #4 of 102 Hotels in Louisville
Reviewed July 16, 2013

My family of 3 spent one night at the 21c in Louisville, KY this month. We loved that the hotel is pet friendly, and the art on the main 2 levels was very interesting (my son loved the cloud-makers).

We had a double atrium view room, 2 double beds with a view into the center of the building (skylights allowing in sunlight). It was a disappointment for us as a double bed is really not big enough for any couple to share, and the "atrium view" was really just a brick room with a concrete platform (no artwork inside, just lights in the center that were never turned off... almost like a billboard outside your window all night).

We ate roomservice for both dinner and breakfast, both provided by Proof, the restaurant downstairs. The food was tasty but a bit pricy (just like the room).

The location is great, we were able to walk around the area and even caught a sightseeing pony ride a few blocks over... although the city could do a lot more to clean up the area next to the water.

The staff at 21c were top notch, always friendly and welcoming.

Overall we enjoyed our stay, but considering the price vs return I wouldn't recommend it for a family stay... better for couple on a weekend getaway to the city.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Gabe I, Director of Operations at 21c Museum Hotel Louisville, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Thank you for sharing your 21c Louisville experience with us; your feedback is invaluable. I’m delighted you and your family enjoyed exploring our 9000 sq ft contemporary art museum; should you return and want to learn more, our friendly and welcoming staff conduct informative tours on Fridays and Saturdays at 5pm. I was very disappointed to read that your guestroom experience was underwhelming. It’s our goal to anticipate your needs and exceed expectations; clearly, we missed the mark. Ideally, we would’ve noticed your family of three and suggested a more suitable room for your stay. It sounds as though we also failed to close the blackout shades as part of our turndown service. I’m truly sorry. We would love an opportunity to welcome you back and knock your socks off. Please don’t hesitate to contact me directly.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,347)

Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed in 21C 3 nights and it was an amazing experience. Wonderful innovative artwork everywhere including elevators and bathrooms, nicely decorated spacious rooms, I was very impressed with their attention to details - handwritten welcome note, cute little rubber duck in the bathroom, stuff is very attentive and sweet. Restaurant is definitely worth checking out as well - flawless cocktail menu and delicious food.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Laura S, Associate Sales Manager at 21c Museum Hotel Louisville, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Hi Sonia,
Thank you for visiting 21c and for taking the time to write a review about your stay. I'm glad that you found our team to be detail oriented--we truly believe the little things make a big difference! We look forward to having you again soon.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

LIke a mini vacation. The staff both in the hotel and the restaurant, were delightful and very accommodating. We would return to Louisville just for this hotel. Follow East Market Street..for some cute shops and good food.

Room Tip: Unfortunately the hotel doesn't have any rooms with a view...but everything else is so wonderful...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Laura S, Associate Sales Manager at 21c Museum Hotel Louisville, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your stay at 21c. I'm glad you were able to explore the neighborhood and the NuLu area. We would love to see you again soon!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We have been wanting to visit Louisville since 21c opened. Came to town for the 4th holiday and to see the Eagles at the Yum Center. It is in a great location for exploring all parts of the city--Market street restaurants are near and the Highlands areas are just a short cab ride away. Proof dinner the first night was a delight and service on point. We also enjoyed a great dinner at Rye and Milk Wood--chef Lee could be on the the most creative chefs on the food scene anywhere in the US. Hotel room bath could use some deep cleaning--little bleach and scrubbing should do the trick. Service was prompt and friendly.

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor and it was quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sukasu
Laura S, Associate Sales Manager at 21c Museum Hotel Louisville, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Thanks for choosing 21c Museum Hotel for your visit to Louisville over the holiday weekend. It sounds like you had an awesome weekend filled with a fantastic concert and amazing restaurants! We appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

The hotel is 7 years and needs to be redone. The bathroom only had a shower with mildew on the tile at the base. There was only one small picture on the walls and the room felt bare especially since art is one of the selling points.The carpet is dark green and old. The furniture is beat up.The staff was excellent and helpful. I really liked their pleasant attitude. We ate breakfast in Proof on Main and it was nothing special.I read several magazines about how great the hotel is and I wanted to visit. I almost cried when we walked into the room. I was expecting much more.

Room Tip: I had no choice in rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank busymama_16
Gabe I, Director of Operations at 21c Museum Hotel Louisville, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Thank you for sharing your invaluable feedback with us. I'm very sorry the condition of the room and breakfast at Proof on Main did not meet your expectations. While I'm glad you enjoyed our outstanding staff, it’s our goal to knock your socks off in every way; clearly we missed the mark. I'd love an opportunity to further discuss your stay to ensure we fully troubleshoot the issues you described. Please don't hesitate to contact me at your convenience. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Interesting concept of a hotel/art gallery in one. Not my style of art but I can appreciate the aim. Location is good, downtown and the price thru Hotwire was decent. Rooms were smallish and the temp was hard to control. Service was very good. I can se they are trying very hard to please their guests.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to 21c. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed June 29, 2013

With the economy the way it is, my husband and I now usually opt for short weekend jaunts as opposed to big vacations. Since we live in Lexington, that makes Louisville and 21c PERFECT for us, so we go here for special occasions:

-We spent our wedding night in one of the beautiful balcony rooms.
-We spent the last night before one of my husband's month-long European tours in one of the regular rooms.
-We spent my birthday in the "Asleep in the Cyclone" room, and since that was last night, that's the room I'm jazzed to review right now.

Move over, Ace Hotel Portland (which I also love), because WOW.

"Asleep in the Cyclone" is nothing short of amazing. It is an art exhibit that moonlights as a totally functional and comfortable hotel room. Everywhere you look there is interesting psychedelic-style artwork carefully chosen by the artists who designed the room, including a "cabinet of curiosities" featuring totally made-up book titles, authors, and bizarre pieces. There is a theme here, and if you are paying attention it is as artistically rewarding as a Joyce novel or Basinski record.

There are big, comfy pillows tossed about on different little nooks throughout the room. You can perch on one level and watch TV if that's your thing or perch on another or another with a glass of wine to get a better view of this amazing room. And while you're enjoying your wine and the cabinet of curiosities, you can also listen to records on an old-school cabinet phonograph--there's an artist-curated collection that compliments the room's Drop City vibes quite nicely. I in fact highly recommend the Alice Coltrane and the Pearls Before Swine for your magical evening.

I took pictures, but I'm not posting them. Because you need to see this room for yourself.

Don't book this room if you're in town to shop or be out on the town, but book it if you want to enjoy a night in--an atmospheric, psychedelic hang and a totally immersive art experience.

And please--don't turn on the TV.

Room Tip: If you feel like spending, try a balcony room or "Asleep in the Cyclone."
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank savoytruffle79
Laura S, Associate Sales Manager at 21c Museum Hotel Louisville, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

Thank you for choosing 21c as your special occasion destination. We love when our brides and grooms return to celebrate anniversaries and other milestones--it's always fun to welcome everyone back! I am glad that you were able to experience "Asleep in the Cyclone" and that you've shared your thoughts about it here--we are very excited about this new and unique room! It sounds like you really took in every detail of artists Freeman and Lowe's work from the record player to the psychedelic décor to the cozy bed. Thanks again for taking the time to write your review. We look forward to bringing 21c to Lexington!