“Night at the Museum”

Ranked #5 of 95 Hotels in Louisville
Kentucky
“Night at the Museum”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We enjoyed our stay. The rooms were clean and bright. (Love the brick wall.)

We liked the malin + goetz toiletries---and ordered more from the company when we got home.

My father commented that the salmon in Proof was the best that he'd ever had.

Our day began at 4:55 AM when a garbage truck picked up a dumpster outside. The truck made an extremely loud banging noise that went on for far too long. There was no going back to sleep after that.

I understand the hotel cannot control what goes on outside, but something should be done. I see that another reviewer experienced the same kind of disturbance.

It would be so much nicer if the garbage trucks would pick up the trash at empty office buildings that early in the morning and delay pickups at hotels where people are sleeping.

Room No. 331
Room Rate: $275.00
Sales Tax: $17.90
Occupancy Tax: $20.63
Local Tax: $2.75
Valet Parking: $25/day

TIP: Ask for a room far away from the garbage dumpster.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
GabeIsaac, Director of Operations at 21c Museum Hotel Louisville, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Sincere thanks to you and your family for staying with us and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the guestroom design and bathroom amenity selection in addition to the salmon at Proof- it's my favorite. However, I'm terribly sorry that your otherwise positive experience was marred by exterior noise. We're currently working with our neighbors and public works department to reschedule potentially disruptive pickups. Thank you again for your invaluable feedback; we hope to welcome you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Korean first
NewJersey
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I chose this hotel based on the TripAdvisor rating. I was pretty disappointed. The lobby is small with most space dedicated to modern art gallery. The room, especially the bathroom was quite dank. I was woken up by the extremely loud noises coming from the street that were easily heard in the third floor room (ambulance, garbage trucks etc). I was expecting some interesting architectural details in the room based on the reputation but there were none. Overall it is extremely overpriced for what you get.

I ordered room service a few times and the service was quick, but the food was not good. Once it had a hair in it, which they comped.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank Hoteloisseur
GabeIsaac, Director of Operations at 21c Museum Hotel Louisville, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience- your feedback is invaluable to improving the level of comfort and service we provide to our guests. I'm very sorry that your sleep was disturbed and room service was anything less than delectable; it's our goal to provide you with a comfortable stay and delicious food. I'd love the opportunity to discuss the issues in detail so that we may prevent reoccurrence in the future. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience.
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We selected this hotel on the recommendation of friends who had stayed there for business. Our weekend mission was to tour the bourbon distilleries in the area. From check-in to check-out, this was a terrific hoteling experience. Considering the potential for pretense in this upscale, super-modern hotel/museum, the service was surprisingly warm, smiley and staffed with top-notch professionals. We reserved the least expensive room - looking out into a brick walled courtyard (only the facade of the former warehouse structure remains, which the hotel has lined artistically in neon). It was great! I usually don't notice linen quality (unless it's uncomfortably cheap) but I noticed these sheets - a thick, crisp cottony cocoon enveloped me into a deep sleep on both nights of our visit. The art museum on the lobby and ground floors of the hotel was a very cool perk. It's open 24 hours to guests and the public - I was curious about getting up in the middle of the night to see if anyone was in the museum (and just for the thrill of a 3am museum visit) but I never made it down. The restaurant is very good (Proof on Main) - creative, chef-level cuisine without the fuss. Totally casual and decorated with art from the museum.

Now when I say "art", it is all modern art. Interesting photography, techno-art, whimsical sculptures and fantasy sketches were some of the pieces on display. I really enjoyed it's playfulness and thought-provoking quality. There is one gallery upstairs, five small galleries downstairs and art placed throughout the hotel. The fourth floor lobby has a chandelier of crystals and hanging manicure scissors, for example. I loved that but my boyfriend thought it was creepy. But he loved the "raining text" piece (that is interactive and near the elevator lobby on the first floor) and the floor drip piece nearby.

This hotel can get pricey but it's worth it to keep an eye out (or ask) for lower rate periods and check this place out. I will return!

Room Tip: Even the cheap rooms have a cool view of the neon courtyard.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Laura S, Associate Sales Manager at 21c Museum Hotel Louisville, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
It was kind of you to take the time to write such a nice review about your stay at 21c. I am particularly glad that you mentioned the view from your room and our "Text Rain" installation. These two features of our property highlight important parts of the 21c experience! The historical aspects of our architecture paired with the contemporary art create a unique yet comfortable experience for our guests. I'm happy that you enjoyed everything and we'd love to see you again soon.
san francisco
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Well, what can I say, just absolutely fabulous, the service, the rooms, Proof on Main, and of course the art. Went on an art walk with my friends around midnight and was really amazed at the modern art. Just a great experience.

I was in town with 8 of my friends for a memorial, and we all stayed at the 21c. It really had all of the comforts and just added enough chic to make the Louisville stay really worthwhile. And of course, the 21c Museum's contribution to reviving downtown must be huge.

While we visited the historical hotels in Louisville for drinks, we were all really glad we stayed at the 21c Museum.

The hotel has a limo which is of course, was completely trick out. See the photo below. And the Proof on Main was really delicious with bison, bone marrow, squid and salmon to name a few things on the menu. Great job and can't wait to go to the other locations.

My only complaint is the elevator seemed slow, but of course I got over it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank carolkSanFrancisco
Laura S, Associate Sales Manager at 21c Museum Hotel Louisville, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you for your review of 21c Museum Hotel. 21c is the perfect place to gather with colleagues or friends due to our small size and location in the heart of downtown Louisville. I love your photograph with the 21c Pip Mobile--It looks like you had a great visit with us! We would love to have you visit our new properties in Cincinnati and Bentonville soon.
Decatur, Georgia
Reviewed March 21, 2013

If you enjoy art and the vibe of a contemporary art museum, you will really enjoy 21C. I had never heard of this hotel brand before this trip, but I found it online and am extremely impressed. The room was very clean, contemporary, and comfortable. There is also a great bar with a relatively young crowd. Very, Very nice.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time write a review about your visit to 21c and Proof on Main. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your guestroom accommodations and our lounge. We love welcoming new guests who have just discovered 21c! Be sure to visit our newly opened properties in Cincinnati, OH and Bentonville, AR--we'd love to have you!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Friends and I visited 21c late (around 9pm) on a Saturday evening. We were pleased to find that there is no entrance fee and that we could take our drinks from the hotel bar (Proof on Main) throughout the museum. The museum was not crowded and the modern art was exceptional. I understand from the front desk worker that the art installations change quite often - I am excited to visit again in the future to see new exhibits.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for visiting 21c and Proof on Main! Our museum is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week with free admission. We are in the process of installing a new art exhibition this week, so be sure to come by again soon!
Doylestown
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for four nights over a week end and I can only say that if you have the opportunity to use this hotel, you will not be disappointed. From the moment we pulled up to the door until check out we were treated like royalty by the staff. Courtesy and helpfullness were displayed by each and every person we met......special mention to Manny.....thanks for the penquin! I would also recommend the restaurant located within the hotel. And don't forget to take the time to view all of the marvelous art on display.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your stay at 21c! I am glad to hear that you felt welcomed and pampered by our Team. It is people like Manny who truly deliver the 21c experience, and I will certainly inform him about your kind words. Thanks again!