“Sadly lacking”

Muhammad Ali Center
Ranked #9 of 176 things to do in Louisville
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in the heart of historic downtown Louisville, Kentucky, the Muhammad Ali Center is a cultural attraction and international education center inspired by the ideals of hometown hero Muhammad Ali. The Ali Center features 2 levels of award-winning exhibits, a five-screen orientation theater film, historic Civil Rights era media footage, video of Ali fights, interactive boxing fun, two art galleries, children's Hope and Dream wall, meeting and event space, retail store and more.
Ivybridge, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Sadly lacking”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Very impressive building but sadly lacking on the whole essence of the legend that is Muhammad Ali. I agree with the previous reviewer that the main focus appears to be on Human Rights and whilst this is a very important subject I felt it was not the best venue as it detracts from the greatness of the big man himself.
My wife and I visited the childhood home of Ali which is close by but there is no reference of this at the museum. We are informed the home has recently been bought by someone who is going to turn it into a museum and this may be worth visiting.
Such a missed opportunity to get to know the man better.

3 Thank adrianandlois

Shoreham-by-Sea, United Kingdom
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Punching Below its Weight”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

This museum is OK but didn't knock me out and I'm a big fan of boxing. The building itself is quite impressive and a fitting tribute to a global legend. The opening cinema presentation was shallow and seemed a wasted opportunity. The emphasis on human rights is justified but I found that there were too many audio tracks running so close that they interfered with each other. There are some fun, if impossible, interactive boxing activities and a detailed timeline of Ali's career with a paragraph on every fight. There was also a film of his career projected onto a boxing ring, which was pretty good and put some facts straight for me; especially about the Frasier fights. You could also select any fight from his history and watch it but we didn't do that. I felt the centre started to fade away at that point with a gallery of photos with and images by LeRoy Neiman. Downstairs is a gallery of portraits of human rights campaigners from different generations which was nice enough but not what we were there to see. On the way out we noticed an incongruous motorbike from the American Chopper TV series, erm, whatever. Anyway, it's well worth a visit but don't set your expectations too high.

Gourock, United Kingdom
70 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 116 helpful votes
“informative and entertaining”
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Spent nearly 3 hours at the museum, may seem a long time but there was a lot to read. Enjoyed seeing clips of him talking himself up (as he did!) and particularly enjoyed looking over the balcony to the boxing ring below, where a film was played out on the canvas of his fights - thought that was very cleverly done. The museum glossed over his relationships with his wives - I would have liked to have known more about that, but was big on his kindness to humanity as a whole. I'm not a boxing fan but I did enjoy this museum, as I felt I learned a lot and it gave me an interest to find out more via the internet now.

1 Thank Valerie W
Los Angeles, California
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Really enjoyed it!”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Muhammad Ali Center is a very nice place full of inspiration and information on a life well-lived. I was rushed because we had a flight to take, but I will return when I have more time to peruse every nook and cranny!

Camdenton, Missouri
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Very interesting!”
Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

I'm not a big boxing fan and I loved visiting this place. It's more than just about his career but about his life which was really fascinating. I think everyone should pay a visit to this museum.

Been to Muhammad Ali Center? Share your experiences!