“Quaint place”

Molly Malone's Irish Pub
Ranked #341 of 1,757 Restaurants in Louisville
Cuisines: Irish, Bar, Pub, American
Good for: Dining on a budget, Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Highlands
“Quaint place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

Felt like we were in Ireland as we enjoyed our food. The staff are actually Irish and the food was great!

Fishers, Indiana
“One of my favorite places”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

One of my favorite Irish pubs...The Scotch Eggs are great and it is one of the only Irish Pubs I have been to in the US that seems authentic....you can even meet folks from Ireland that patronise this pub. The outside deck is relaxing and the food is very good.

Visited August 2012
Louisville, Kentucky
“Great Place to drink and socialize”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

Molly Malone's has two locations: the original Highlands pub and the new one in St. Matthews. This is a great place to have a drink with friends. The beer and ale selection is quite good. Beware: eat before you come. The food sucks; it is unhealthy and tasteless. On the other hand, trivia night is big fun.

Visited September 2011
Beaufort
“The Best this side of Ireland”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

We have eaten here before and it has become a must when we are in Louisville. We always enjoy the service with the Irish accent. The food has never disappointed us, usually there for lunch but this time did breakfast. Also was there for after game fellowship. It is a great place to eat and whenever the Euro cup is on a very lively place at that.

• Visited June 2012
Louisville, Kentucky
“Just Like the Rating Says. Terrible.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

We are getting transferred to Louisville and just learning the area. Being a huge history and culture nerd, I love the Highlands and we've gone there each time we've been in town to house-hunt. The first time we went, I took note of Molly Malone's awesome two-story patio but given time constraints, we weren't able to go.

However, this past weekend I was determined to make it there, and we did on Saturday night after a (great) patio dinner at O'Shea's. The place was busy enough, but not standing-room only. We walked up to the outdoor host stand and the hostess was standing with her back COMPLETELY turned to it, talking to another server. I have mentioned in previous reviews that I spent my entire college career working in the service industry (AS a hostess), so this irked me. Not only that, but it wasn't just us there, a line started to form behind us. Annoying as it was, the hostess obviously couldn't see us - but the server talking to her COULD, and said nothing! Finally, a woman came out of the indoor part and sat us (at which time the hostess turned around with a look of bewilderment at the line that had formed). There was a private party going on in the upstairs outdoor patio so we couldn't check that out (which was the entire selling point for me in the first place), but not a huge deal. We got sat at a table in the back corner, and waited.....and waited.....and waited. No one came. No one even acknowledged us. Five minutes into being completely ignored, we see the hostess who had her back to us seating a large party, and she looked over at us in what I THOUGHT was an "oh, crap" moment and headed over to us in what I THOUGHT would be a "has anybody helped you?" moment. Nope. What she came over for was to take one of our chairs for the large party. Then I even gave her the benefit of the doubt when I saw her go inside and talk to other staff members; maybe she was checking to make sure we'd been served. Nope. They all went about their business and still no one came. I can't say anything more about the place because at this point we got up and walked out. As we left, a security guard who had come on duty since our arrival (THAT'S how long we sat without being served) told us to have a good night, to which I replied, "I guess I will elsewhere since we didn't get served here."

I can't say I will never go back because A.) What I truly wanted to check out was the upstairs patio and B.) I want to give it another shot given this was the first time I went, but that's all it will get, another shot. One. Because this first impression was so appalling it left a really bad taste in my mouth.

• Visited June 2012