“Just Like the Rating Says. Terrible.”

Molly Malone's Irish Pub
Ranked #349 of 1,800 Restaurants in Louisville
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Highlands
Reviewed June 26, 2012

We are getting transferred to Louisville and just learning the area. Being a huge history and culture nerd, I love the Highlands and we've gone there each time we've been in town to house-hunt. The first time we went, I took note of Molly Malone's awesome two-story patio but given time constraints, we weren't able to go.

However, this past weekend I was determined to make it there, and we did on Saturday night after a (great) patio dinner at O'Shea's. The place was busy enough, but not standing-room only. We walked up to the outdoor host stand and the hostess was standing with her back COMPLETELY turned to it, talking to another server. I have mentioned in previous reviews that I spent my entire college career working in the service industry (AS a hostess), so this irked me. Not only that, but it wasn't just us there, a line started to form behind us. Annoying as it was, the hostess obviously couldn't see us - but the server talking to her COULD, and said nothing! Finally, a woman came out of the indoor part and sat us (at which time the hostess turned around with a look of bewilderment at the line that had formed). There was a private party going on in the upstairs outdoor patio so we couldn't check that out (which was the entire selling point for me in the first place), but not a huge deal. We got sat at a table in the back corner, and waited.....and waited.....and waited. No one came. No one even acknowledged us. Five minutes into being completely ignored, we see the hostess who had her back to us seating a large party, and she looked over at us in what I THOUGHT was an "oh, crap" moment and headed over to us in what I THOUGHT would be a "has anybody helped you?" moment. Nope. What she came over for was to take one of our chairs for the large party. Then I even gave her the benefit of the doubt when I saw her go inside and talk to other staff members; maybe she was checking to make sure we'd been served. Nope. They all went about their business and still no one came. I can't say anything more about the place because at this point we got up and walked out. As we left, a security guard who had come on duty since our arrival (THAT'S how long we sat without being served) told us to have a good night, to which I replied, "I guess I will elsewhere since we didn't get served here."

I can't say I will never go back because A.) What I truly wanted to check out was the upstairs patio and B.) I want to give it another shot given this was the first time I went, but that's all it will get, another shot. One. Because this first impression was so appalling it left a really bad taste in my mouth.

1  Thank AndreaK1013
There are newer reviews for Molly Malone's Irish Pub

Reviewed June 18, 2012

Cute place, nice outside patio but smokey most of the time. Have had fish and chips here many times. All have been marginal to poor. Last night the excellent quality fish was browned on the outside but under the crust was liquid uncooked batter, giving the meal a raw batter taste. We peeled off the crust and ate the fish. It wasn't a new experience here. Can't say much good about any of the "Irish" pub's fish and chips either. I've kept hoping it would improve but will move on as there are too many other good fish places in town. Monkey Wrench, Cunnighams on Harrods Creek, The Fish Fry House, etc.

Reviewed May 24, 2012

Great Fish & Chips, the beer is even better! I've eaten here 5-6 times, love going back everytime I'm in Louisville, and maybe sometime I'll eat something other than fish & chips with Guiness...

Reviewed May 7, 2012

Great place to sit outside, people watch and smoke a cigar.

Reviewed March 31, 2012

I am not a fish fan but I love their Fish and Chips. Pub feels "old Irish" and it is non-smoking which makes it so much more enjoyable.