“Exquisite local cuisine in Louisville”
Review of Jack Fry's

Jack Fry's
Ranked #1 of 1,829 Restaurants in Louisville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Highlands
Reviewed August 26, 2014

Jack Fry's is a must-see restaurant to visit in Louisville. The service is always charming and friendly. The food is superb. They have the best lamb chop, hands down, anywhere in North America. If you find yourself in Louisville, make sure you stop by Jack Fry's!

Reviewed August 19, 2014

My husband and I were treated to dinner with friends at Jack Fry's this past weekend. They had heard it was a popular place and were eager to experience it. For starters, we had an appetizer serving of roasted quail with garlic bread pudding, fois gras, with a currant sauce that was okay. I ordered the warm brie salad which was nothing special--certainly not worth $7.00. We waited for what seemed like an eternity for the entree--beef filets and walleye. If these entrees take longer to prepare, it would have been helpful for the server to tell us. The beef was served with a potato patty, asparagus, and asiago sauce--all of which were excellent, but were served on plates that were too large for the size of the table. The reason I would never return to this place is how loud and crowded it is. We sat at a booth, and due to the incomprehensibly long wait for the entree, it soon became cramped and uncomfortable. I also noticed how crowded adults looked as they were seated at their small tables. The noise in the place made conversation impossible. There were so many loud people in the place that I wondered of they exceeded the fire safety code. If you are looking for reasonably good food that takes way too long to serve while surrounded by a crowd of loud people, check out this place. If not, try elsewhere.

3  Thank Kris S
Reviewed August 18, 2014

We came as a large group and took 2 tables next to each other. Appetizers were served to share:

Shrimp & Grits (nice, $12)
Agnolotti (ok, $12)
Spicy Fried Oysters ($12), Scallops ($16) - both excellent

The Warm Brie Salad ($7) came as described (bibb lettuce, toasted almonds) but did not have have much structure or taste to it. Would have been nicer with a different type of lettuce and walnuts rather than almonds.

I had a fish from the daily special's menue that came as a nice summer dish on a bed of lettuce but had a bit too much acid to it. Some of my colleagues had the Porthouse Steak from the specials and enjoyed it but claimed it was no porterhouse.

Live music (daily except Sundays) is great (but the noise level makes conversation on larger tables difficult).

All in all a great place on Bardstown Road!

1  Thank 1001-traumreisen
Reviewed August 11, 2014

We had the Porterhouse Steak and it was very tasty with all the extra stuff on it. I also recommend the escargot quit e good. Also try the bourbon beer.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

My wife went on a short trip to “Bourbon Country” and we stayed in Louisville. We had already picked out where we have been wanting to eat in Frankfort, KY, but need the name of a place in Louisville so I went on line to search for restaurants in the Louisville area. I think Tripadvisor lists Jack Fry’s as the #2 place in town, and since we were celebrating a special occasion we decided to give it a try. We got settled into our room and then headed to the restaurant. It is located on a road (Bardstown Road) where several other good restaurants were located and it was relatively easy to find. We parked and headed to the restaurant. The entrance is around the side (kind of like Virgil’s in Bellevue, KY, near Cincinnati, another wonderful restaurant). Several people entered the restaurant just ahead of us and were seated and when we got to the hostess station we were asked if we had reservations. We didn’t. We were told the wait would be about 1 hr and 15 minutes. Then Stephanie asked us if we would mind sitting at the bar? They also could serve dinner to us at the bar, but there was only seat open. I told her that I would not mind standing until another seat opened.
We went to the bar and my wife took a seat. The gentleman next to her told her that he and his wife would be glad to move down so that I could sit down also. That was certainly appreciated. The bar is small and I think there are only about a dozen seats. I sat on the end and we ordered a couple Manhattans. We shared an order of Spicy Fried Oysters. They were wonderful!!! Maybe the best oysters I have ever eaten anywhere. My wife usually doesn’t like oysters but these came with small pieces of bacon and they were set on a bed of grits. She loved them. My wife who is a Minnesota girl (and very proud of that fact) ordered the Walleye (a fish that you do not see very often on menus in this part of the country, and I ordered the Lamb Chops. They both were spectacular. Since we were celebrating we decided to share a dessert (when we were younger would have each had a couple Manhattans, our own appetizer and our own desserts, but we don’t have the appetite fo4r all that any more). We picked the cheesecake. It also was amazing, maybe the best we have ever tasted. In our lives we have eaten a lot of cheesecake so it is really saying something that this might be “the very best!”
A few other things mad this a wonderful evening. The people watching was excellent, the gentleman who gave us his seat, and his wife, gave us a wonderful tip on one of the distilleries on the Bourbon Trail (actually, this one is not listed – Buffalo Trace in Frankfort) and all the employees could not have been nicer, they were wonderful! They all worked very, very hard and if I had been an owner I couldn’t have been more proud of them. All of them!
Our bill, before tip, came to about $115. Not bad for absolutely wonderful food and an excellent experience. Thank you Stephanie and your co-host for not turning us away last night (8-4-14).
The old man with the walking stick.

1  Thank RMCINCINNATI