“Not inexpensive, but what a meal!”
Review of Jack Fry's

Jack Fry's
Ranked #2 of 1,770 Restaurants in Louisville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Highlands
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Not inexpensive, but what a meal!”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

My wife went on a short trip to “Bourbon Country” and we stayed in Louisville. We had already picked out where we have been wanting to eat in Frankfort, KY, but need the name of a place in Louisville so I went on line to search for restaurants in the Louisville area. I think Tripadvisor lists Jack Fry’s as the #2 place in town, and since we were celebrating a special occasion we decided to give it a try. We got settled into our room and then headed to the restaurant. It is located on a road (Bardstown Road) where several other good restaurants were located and it was relatively easy to find. We parked and headed to the restaurant. The entrance is around the side (kind of like Virgil’s in Bellevue, KY, near Cincinnati, another wonderful restaurant). Several people entered the restaurant just ahead of us and were seated and when we got to the hostess station we were asked if we had reservations. We didn’t. We were told the wait would be about 1 hr and 15 minutes. Then Stephanie asked us if we would mind sitting at the bar? They also could serve dinner to us at the bar, but there was only seat open. I told her that I would not mind standing until another seat opened.
We went to the bar and my wife took a seat. The gentleman next to her told her that he and his wife would be glad to move down so that I could sit down also. That was certainly appreciated. The bar is small and I think there are only about a dozen seats. I sat on the end and we ordered a couple Manhattans. We shared an order of Spicy Fried Oysters. They were wonderful!!! Maybe the best oysters I have ever eaten anywhere. My wife usually doesn’t like oysters but these came with small pieces of bacon and they were set on a bed of grits. She loved them. My wife who is a Minnesota girl (and very proud of that fact) ordered the Walleye (a fish that you do not see very often on menus in this part of the country, and I ordered the Lamb Chops. They both were spectacular. Since we were celebrating we decided to share a dessert (when we were younger would have each had a couple Manhattans, our own appetizer and our own desserts, but we don’t have the appetite fo4r all that any more). We picked the cheesecake. It also was amazing, maybe the best we have ever tasted. In our lives we have eaten a lot of cheesecake so it is really saying something that this might be “the very best!”
A few other things mad this a wonderful evening. The people watching was excellent, the gentleman who gave us his seat, and his wife, gave us a wonderful tip on one of the distilleries on the Bourbon Trail (actually, this one is not listed – Buffalo Trace in Frankfort) and all the employees could not have been nicer, they were wonderful! They all worked very, very hard and if I had been an owner I couldn’t have been more proud of them. All of them!
Our bill, before tip, came to about $115. Not bad for absolutely wonderful food and an excellent experience. Thank you Stephanie and your co-host for not turning us away last night (8-4-14).
The old man with the walking stick.

1 Thank RMCINCINNATI

Indiana
“Definitely a 'do again'!”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

This little gem was a total surprise on the inside. It is not much to look at from the outside so it was definitely a pleasant surprise to see the white table cloths when we came inside. It is a little 'fru fru' but we still felt comfortable in our casual clothes. We went on a Sunday evening and it was a delightful experience! Tons of history on its walls for decor. I believe you could sit and read and look at pictures the entire night. We did call and make a reservation and our table was ready as soon as we walked in. The food was amazing!! My husband had the lamb chops and I had the salmon. Very attentive wait staff. Highly recommend and we will definitely be back!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank hopecrail
Rigby, Idaho
“Very good!”
Reviewed August 4, 2014

If you go for the food, you will not be disappointed. I had the scallop app, and beef filet entree. Melt in your mouth, and perfectly prepared. Atmosphere is very loud, and difficult to hear if you are wanting an intimate quiet dinner. In fact, at times, the very talented pianist could not be heard over the din. Wait staff very attentive... I would definitely go again if I find myself in Louisville. We were there on a Monday night and made reservations.

Louisville, Kentucky
“Jack Fry's”
Reviewed August 4, 2014

Jack Fry's is not cozy. It is very loud, busy and too close of quarters. The service was good. The food was so so. I had heard it was a really good place, and we looked forward to going. I didn't care for it. We won't go back - just not our type of place.

• Visited May 2014
FL
“Just an ok experience”
Reviewed August 3, 2014

When I walked into Jack Fry's I thought what a delightful place - small, cozy, live pianist playing lovely music, nostalgia hanging on the walls. To be seated, we had to move our table once to seat one of us, and second time to accommodate another of us - very close quarters indeed! I'm still having positive thoughts. We loved our waitress. She was knowledgable, funny, and helpful with our wine and food choices. Here was where things really began to fall apart. I ordered the warm brie salad - it was a tasteless nothing - so disappointing. Then came no food...for a very long time. Others who were seated after us were served and finished before our entrees were finally delivered. My friend and I ordered the filet mignon. To be fair the meat was perfectly cooked but the temperature was cold. Obviously the food had been sitting for a long time. Not sure why this happened. There was no apology for the long delay in serving. But a single dessert was comped for the cold food. Overall a disappointing experience.