“Best food from local people!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Jack Fry's

Jack Fry's
Ranked #4 of 1,757 Restaurants in Louisville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Highlands
Louisville, Kentucky
“Best food from local people!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

I absolutely adore this small and cozy restaurant. The atmosphere and food are rich enough to tempt anyone's palette. The escargot are excellent. The pork chop is divine. If you choose to visit this local treasure, I'm sure you will the hidden gems within.

• Visited April 2013

Louisville, Kentucky
“Valentine's Day 2013”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

Came here to celebrate Valentine's Day with my other half. The resturant was very dark, but I liked that, individual candles on each table. I did not like where they sat us, but I didn't speak up either, small table, by the front door, people kept bumping into my chair. Live piano, with human player, not mechanical piano. He played Happy Birthday for one patron, no singing, thank god! I ordered Sauvignon Blanc, and I don't recall it being a 4 ounce pour as a previous poster said, I'm pretty sure this was 5-6 oz. Either way, I'm a lightweight, I wouldn't notice. We ordered calamari, a little much breading for my taste. We both ordered NY Strip, mine rare, but there wasn't really a flavor of aging to it, which is ok, because I order rare, but if you like aged flavor, their KY raised organic beef does not have it. They cut it in two, which I find odd, not sure why? I am use to a full strip, not halved strips. The sauce they put with the steak sounded odd, I think it was some kind of berry or cranberry relish, but it actually complimented the strip quite well. And the greens, were sauteed greens, not really too much special there. Smaller portions as this is upscale, but $40 for what looked like two 4 oz strip steak portions and some greens is a little much. I will try again however, I have faith!

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Amanda C
Frankfort, IL
“Delicious food in vintage setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

When you arrive on the outside, you may think you're at the wrong place. But inside you enter a setting right from 1930's Louisville with tin ceilings, an old bar, live jazz playing, and old pictures. The food is excellent with many unique dishes. I had the lamb shank which was prepared with a Moroccan flair and my husband had a wonderful duck dish. We also enjoyed delicious salads, a stuffed fig appetizer, and their fruit cobbler full of warm berries. All were delicious. The service was also very attentive and we were seated immediately for our 7:30 reservation.

• Visited March 2013
Mequon, WI
“Jack of all trades, master of some”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

The decor is average, lots of old pictures on the wall from its history. The food is quite variable. Some dishes are superb (the Date appetizer and the Shrimp and Grits) and others not so much. The walleye special was bland and overloasded with veggies while the ribeye was not particularly flavorful nor did it have a great look (thin slice, rather than thck). The Samoa (yes, like the girl scout cookie) Ice Cream was excellent!

Visited March 2013
2 Thank BosoxKen
Orlando
“Maybe I'm spoiled but...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

We went here for my husbands birthday, 6pm on a Friday night. We had reservations and were seated at a small table near the windows. Very Drafty (*request a booth if possible)

It took about 8 minutes to be greeted, which isn't that big of a deal, but it's a small restaurant so we didn't see why it would take that long.

The waiter finally came over, and we had to ask what the specials were.
I ordered the special: spice rubbed bass with greens accompanied by mango and grapefruit, sounded great!
my husband selected the salmon with sauteed spinach.

We were going to order wine, however I know how much we drink, and saw that the wine was poured exactly to 4oz, and at $9 a glass being the most affordable, we would have spent $36 on wine (no thanks) This wasn't a surprise though, as this is an upscale restaurant.

We had house bread while we waited, one tasted like pound cake the other a drier bread, the butter was really good! (can't go wrong with butter)

When our food arrived I was astounded at how small the portions were. I am a tiny girl, but this was NOTHING, I'll show you a picture. There were more greens than fish. So disappointed.
My husbands salmon was a decent portion, but he felt so bad, he ended up sharing his with me, (this NEVER happens, usually it's the other way around)

The flavors were fine, I travel all over the world, and thought that the salmon at chain restaurants was just as satisfactory.

Dessert time!! When I had arranged this reservation I told the manager that it was his birthday, I also told the waiter, a complimentary dessert for the birthday boy, yippee!!
We ordered the mud chocolate dessert. I asked the waiter, "this is going to come with a candle right?!!!" He said "of course"
When the dessert was delivered it was from another waiter and plopped down in front of us, no candle, no singing, no biggie! I sang to my hubby and we devoured the dessert, because we were both still SO HUNGRY, and the dessert is a decent size.
After finishing our dessert, ready for our check, we receive another dessert, with a candle in it, and a piano in the background playing happy birthday.
Worst things could have happened, but this irritated me:
1) This is why I confirmed with the waiter
2)I had already sang to him, and so did the rest of the group around us
3) we were already full, and I HATE wasting food
4) We were charged $8 for what we assumed was our "complimentary" birthday dessert

In the end it was a $78.00 lesson learned. Believe me, if the food was THAT GREAT and the service was amazing, It would be so worth it! I had read so many reviews on this place, and was so excited, as I said, maybe I'm spoiled from traveling and knowing what type of food and service that type of money can buy you. :-/

• Visited March 2013